Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched from a Z-400 that I loved over to a utility 4x4. The differences are night and day, and I have to say I don't regret it. The utility is a more fun overall package that is more fun in ALL weather conditions.

What are you riding, and why did you choose that ATV? Sport or utility?

Jerry

·
Registered
141 Posts
I recently switched from a Z-400 that I loved over to a utility 4x4. The differences are night and day, and I have to say I don't regret it. The utility is a more fun overall package that is more fun in ALL weather conditions.

What are you riding, and why did you choose that ATV? Sport or utility?
Jerry
I grew up riding dirtbikes then switched to ATV's in '03 and bought a new eiger 400 and was a good machine but didn't like shifting gears, wanted more power, EFI, a locker, and wanted something with a better suspension. So after riding everything available I decided on a renegade and now I have all the features I want. Accessories well that is another story, but all in time. I pretty sure I couldn't cope with not having 4wd anymore and I no longer have the comfort level on bikes thatI used to.
So how many miles do you have on that KQ does it seem to get pretty good gas mileage I know eiger 400 would run all day on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I grew up riding dirtbikes then switched to ATV's in '03 and bought a new eiger 400 and was a good machine but didn't like shifting gears, wanted more power, EFI, a locker, and wanted something with a better suspension. So after riding everything available I decided on a renegade and now I have all the features I want. Accessories well that is another story, but all in time. I pretty sure I couldn't cope with not having 4wd anymore and I no longer have the comfort level on bikes thatI used to.
So how many miles do you have on that KQ does it seem to get pretty good gas mileage I know eiger 400 would run all day on a tank of gas.
The KQ now has a whopping 14 miles on it. Just got it 2 weeks ago, so I haven't had a chance to properly break it in.........yet.

But so far I really like it. All 14 miles have been in snow/mud/muck that my Z-400 would not have been able to handle. I really like having the CVT transmission, don't miss shifting gears and the machine is REALLY stable in rough terrain. The front locker works well, too, when the going gets rough.

As far as gas mileage, the digital gauge has not moved off of full yet. My only complaint is that I wish the bike had better acceleration, so maybe I should've bought the 700 (I bought the 450). I looked at the Can-Am bikes and liked them a lot, but the KingQuad was a little less money and had all of the features I wanted. Not to mention all but two of my quads, dirtbikes, and street bikes have been Suzuki products and I've never been disappointed.

Last night I just installed a Kolpin rear storage box with the built in seat. They sell it as a "relaxer" seat, but I'm going to use it for my 5 year old to cart him around the yard and short local trail rides. I figure it'll work good because the rear rack will hold about 170 lbs. and he weighs about 55 lbs. With his size and weight I'm not anticipating any extremely odd handling characteristics.

And yeah, once you have 4x4 you never go back.

Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts