Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I called my insurance company today to ask about insuring the Spyder. I alrady have car and motorcycle insurance with this company. They couldn't find the Can-Am Spyder in their computers (no surprise0 but after explaining what the Spyder was, the insurance guy actually referred my to another company. That comany was just as clueless.

Anyone get any firm answers from an insurance company yet?

·
ReTARRED
407 Posts
I called my insurance company today to ask about insuring the Spyder. I alrady have car and motorcycle insurance with this company. They couldn't find the Spyder in their computers (no surprise0 but after explaining what the Spyder was, the insurance guy actually referred my to another company. That comany was just as clueless.

Progressive is the best deal in Michigan. They have the Spyder in their database already.It runs about 700 a year with a 500 deductable which includes comprehensive insurance. This far north,we only have a mid-April thru October riding season. Once this thing is paid off,Ill be able to get insurance for 6 months out of the year and pay for only fire and theft insurance while its parked over the winter.Unless,of course,we move further south after retirement begins. ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Progressive is the best deal in Michigan. They have the Spyder in their database already.It runs about 700 a year with a 500 deductable which includes comprehensive insurance. This far north,we only have a mid-April thru October riding season. Once this thing is paid off,Ill be able to get insurance for 6 months out of the year and pay for only fire and theft insurance while its parked over the winter.Unless,of course,we move further south after retirement begins. ;)
In Mass, Safety ins. quoted 750.00 per year, with liabilty only and passenger ins. it will be 95.00 per year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Strange about Progressive Ins, I called 2X and was told that they aren't going to be insuring the Spyder, I told them about your post and they said it isn't on any acceptable data base of theirs. I guess we'll know more when the time comes to lay the money down to insure. Bye the way there is a Yahoo group for the Spyder but to date the activity is almost nonexistant should be good once people start to own.

Rudy

·
ReTARRED
407 Posts
Strange about Progressive Ins, I called 2X and was told that they aren't going to be insuring the Spyder, I told them about your post and they said it isn't on any acceptable data base of theirs. I guess we'll know more when the time comes to lay the money down to insure. Bye the way there is a Yahoo group for the Spyder but to date the activity is almost nonexistant should be good once people start to own.

Rudy
Did you try Progressives website? I read your post and then went to Progressives site and did the insurance quote thing and the Can Am trike was listed. There were 3 choices under Can Am motorcycles:

All Enduro models
Spyder(3 wheeled)
Spyder Roadster

I chose the Spyder Roadster. Just winging it(the last quote I got was from our own insurance agent,so I dont know what coverages she used) on this I was quoted $ 767.00 if you pay in full for a year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, thanks, that really helped, strange the Progressive people know so little about their products, I went to the website and got a quote of $104 for the Spyder and 3 scooters with basic coverage, what a deal, I normally pay $57 a yr for the 3 scooters.

Thanks, Rudy

Did you try Progressives website? I read your post and then went to Progressives site and did the insurance quote thing and the Can Am trike was listed. There were 3 choices under Can Am motorcycles:

All Enduro models
Spyder(3 wheeled)
Spyder Roadster

I chose the Spyder Roadster. Just winging it(the last quote I got was from our own insurance agent,so I dont know what coverages she used) on this I was quoted $ 767.00 if you pay in full for a year.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I called Liberty Mutual yesterday, they do not have the spyder in their database, they do not write policies for "custom created 3 wheel motorcyles" as it was put to me. The rep is contacting underwriting to see if a it is a bindable vehicle that can be insured. Hate to have to pull all my policies (2 cars, bike, camper, home) from liberty due to no coverage on a spyder. If you have liberty, CALL THEM!!!!! tell them you want a quote. This was the first the call center had ever heard of the spyder, and she sent a photo of it to underwiting. Ill keep the board posted as to what I find out.

·
Registered
54 Posts

All Enduro models
Spyder(3 wheeled)
Spyder Roadster

I tried the Progressive site and could not find anything associated with the Spyder. I am in CA and am having a lot of trouble finding someone that has knowledge of it. Maybe the Progressive site for CA has different state laws regarding this type of vehicle. Has anyone had an actual quote done on the Spyder in CA? Not just a generic motorcycle with 990 cc's. That is how most try to rate it. If you look at those specs, they could very well see a 1000 Sport Bike waiting to crash. The only numbers I have been given are in the $1200 per year range for full coverage and deductibles of $100 comp and $500 collision. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Rokonman #2018
142 Posts
I called my insurance company today to ask about insuring the Spyder. I alrady have car and motorcycle insurance with this company. They couldn't find the Spyder in their computers (no surprise0 but after explaining what the Spyder was, the insurance guy actually referred my to another company. That comany was just as clueless.

Progressive has the SPYDER listed. The rate ranged from $300+ to $700 depending on your choices of coverage for my area (Western PA) Higher than my BMW K1200LT.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Progressive has the SPYDER listed. The rate ranged from $300+ to $700 depending on your choices of coverage for my area (Western PA) Higher than my BMW K1200LT.
i have several cars & 2 motorcycles already insured by farmers and they quoted me $600.00 a year
for full coverage which covers me ,wife,and daughter i did'nt think that was too bad being she's 21 and i sorta got a ticket for 81 in a 55 .2 years ago...
(oregon) ahhhhh

·
Registered
307 Posts
I called Liberty Mutual yesterday, they do not have the spyder in their database, they do not write policies for "custom created 3 wheel motorcyles" as it was put to me. The rep is contacting underwriting to see if a it is a bindable vehicle that can be insured. Hate to have to pull all my policies (2 cars, bike, camper, home) from liberty due to no coverage on a spyder. If you have liberty, CALL THEM!!!!! tell them you want a quote. This was the first the call center had ever heard of the spyder, and she sent a photo of it to underwiting. Ill keep the board posted as to what I find out.
Liberty mutual is now ready to insure the spyder. spoke with them the other day and they are all set! Now I just need the darn thing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Received word from my agent this week, Nationwide is currently has no listing and is not writing for the Spyder. I was told to check back when I have a VIN and they can "maybe" quote.

Looks like I will be searching elsewhere for coverage!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I called Progressive and the agent tried to find the Spyder and had no luck. She put me on hold while she checked with management. When she returned, she told me that they were not insuring the Spyder as it is a high risk vehicle. I didn't understand that at all. She had no other info. Does anyone have insurance info in California?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Just curious if anyone has gotten quotes recently....I just asked a couple of agents and one came back with a price of $800 for full coverage and then all of a sudden today they faxed me a quote for $240 which the actual insurance company was American Modern Insurance group. Very interesting quote but never heard of the company.

Later,

Shawn (Spyder-Dude)

·
Registered
21 Posts
GEICO.COM just had a meeting with BRP last week about the spyder and they now started to cover the spyder.
i pay (year) 451.00 for a 05 goldwing and 351.00 for 04 Duacti998 and they gave me a qoute of 152.50 for a year. this compnay seems to give good deals on vehicles that don't have many claims against, now if i want a quote on a ZX, CBR, Gixer it goes threw the roof.

Phone # 1-800-442-9253

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
GEICO.COM just had a meeting with BRP last week about the spyder and they now started to cover the spyder.
i pay (year) 451.00 for a 05 goldwing and 351.00 for 04 Duacti998 and they gave me a qoute of 152.50 for a year.
That's the best # I've heard so far!

Welcome to the site mrdon003

·
Registered
54 Posts
My local agent was able to get a quote through Progressive. Full coverage with $500 deductibles and high limits was around $875/year. Some of the quotes seem awefully low. Are these full coverage of just comprehensive?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts