Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when I had the spyder here for a few hours hehehehe, I got a good look under it. There are 2 nice places to run a 12 inch neon light down both sides of the front, easy access to the wiring harness, and one sweet spot at the rear on both sides also to put them. I am planning on putting a blue/white neons under the front and down at the rear wheel. These will be attached to the standard wiring so they will be on all the time. any other lighting add ons others are planning?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am planning on Yellow glow LED lights underneath my yellow spyder!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well when I had the spyder here for a few hours hehehehe, I got a good look under it. There are 2 nice places to run a 12 inch neon light down both sides of the front, easy access to the wiring harness, and one sweet spot at the rear on both sides also to put them. I am planning on putting a blue/white neons under the front and down at the rear wheel. These will be attached to the standard wiring so they will be on all the time. any other lighting add ons others are planning?
Hey, what do you mean by "down both sides of the front" ? are you thinking of putting them on the a-arms?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We went today and added in the 12v adapter and the front neon blue underglow system. We still need to add in the rear and red neon under the upper screens. #148 is comming along!!

clip_image002.jpg

Attachments

·
Ken5517 / Wish Again
1,434 Posts
MORE PICTURES. MORE INFO. Is it toggled or hard wired to lights?
Please don't mind me asking and I'm sure you have an excellent answer - WHY?????

what are you trying to accomplish?

your lighting the ground not the bike - sorry I don't get lighting the ground!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please don't mind me asking and I'm sure you have an excellent answer - WHY?????

what are you trying to accomplish?

your lighting the ground not the bike - sorry I don't get lighting the ground!!
actually, the lights are a light strip consisting of 10 dot led's. they are mounted on the bottom center frame rail sidways so the aim across vrs down. Ill get some other pics tonight, but there is actually a reason. The way the lights are installed, from the side, the rims glow neon blue and there is a 5 foot, footprint of neon blue on the ground. When entering an intersection, your side visability just jumped 100 fold on the side. This time of year, people do not look for any type of bike, from behind, at night, the spyder has the license plate light, and its small tail light,,, that is it. with the system we are putting in, you have a neon blue footprint spanning your wheel width on the front making you much more visable. Again, it is all for visability, as it is dark here around 4:30 in the afternoon/ 4:45ish. during the day they can not be seen at all. To many people get t-boned or rear ended at night on a bike, left turn in front and stuff and the first thing they say is Gee I didnt even see you. Well,, I want to be visable
Ill get some side and behind phtos tonight and post them.

They are hard wired into the front wheel white marker lights, we had the front off to install the 12v acc connector, and while we had it off, we put these on the front. THere is one more to go on, this one will go on the back, under the seat and light downwards the tire and rear drive belt / frame.

·
Ken5517 / Wish Again
1,434 Posts
actually, the lights are a light strip consisting of 10 dot led's. they are mounted on the bottom center frame rail sidways so the aim across vrs down. Ill get some other pics tonight, but there is actually a reason. The way the lights are installed, from the side, the rims glow neon blue and there is a 5 foot, footprint of neon blue on the ground. When entering an intersection, your side visability just jumped 100 fold on the side. This time of year, people do not look for any type of bike, from behind, at night, the spyder has the license plate light, and its small tail light,,, that is it. with the system we are putting in, you have a neon blue footprint spanning your wheel width on the front making you much more visable. Again, it is all for visability, as it is dark here around 4:30 in the afternoon/ 4:45ish. during the day they can not be seen at all. To many people get t-boned or rear ended at night on a bike, left turn in front and stuff and the first thing they say is Gee I didnt even see you. Well,, I want to be visable
Ill get some side and behind phtos tonight and post them.

They are hard wired into the front wheel white marker lights, we had the front off to install the 12v acc connector, and while we had it off, we put these on the front. THere is one more to go on, this one will go on the back, under the seat and light downwards the tire and rear drive belt / frame.
I knew you had an answer!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't know what the law is in MA, but in most states blue under vehicle lights will be a good excuse to get pulled over as they are illegal to use when the vehicle is in operation.!

Richard

·
The Rain Rider
436 Posts
Is it illegal in CA?
I'm still searching through the state DMV and the Motor Vehicle Code.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know what the law is in MA, but in most states blue under vehicle lights will be a good excuse to get pulled over as they are illegal to use when the vehicle is in operation.!
Richard
In Ma, the law is such that if no bulb is visable, it is not directed into the path of the vehicles rear mirror or oncomming, it can not blink, flash, strob, and is less than 2 watts of power and is simply a glow, then it is ok. it is more of a purple in color than blue.
this is only 1/100W neon blue LED's under the spyder arrainged on a strip facing out towards the wheels mounted on the spyder center rail. The foot print does not pertrude past the spyder, in front or behind. I am legal. I actually asked by the way, and have driven by many a cruiser. I have been stopped twice though,, both times the cops wanted to take photos of themselfs on it!!!!
always ablide to the police in that manner,, keeps me on thier good side! and yes, the underglow was on at the time!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
after having my spyder videod an followed at night time, I definitely plan on adding some sort of a lighting effect to add more visibility

from the rear and the sides, the spyder is not very visible to other cars.
I will figure out something that will be just enough to not get me pulled over allot, but still do the job.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Illegal for road use in CA.
The blue lights are illegal here in California as they are reserved for police and emergency vehicles. You could however mount amber, white or red lights. I'm thinking about adding amber or soft white lights up front and red lights in the rear.

Charles,
What lighting system did you use?

·
Registered
856 Posts
after having my spyder videod an followed at night time, I definitely plan on adding some sort of a lighting effect to add more visibility

from the rear and the sides, the spyder is not very visible to other cars.
I will figure out something that will be just enough to not get me pulled over allot, but still do the job.
Where is the video??? can you put it on the web and post a link to it?

·
The Rain Rider
436 Posts
Checking with MRG. If legal in CA, I'd like to try a purple or red underlighting. I'm reviewing the color charts for complimentary colors. Since blue is out, maybe purple for the cool color and red for the warm color.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Where is the video??? can you put it on the web and post a link to it?
oh it's already deleted bro.
it was just a 5 minute video my friend made when he was following me home. but you could hardly see the spyder till he got maybe 30 feet behind it. Not the best camera, but still.

I have a fairly kick &#@ camera. I plan on making a video after I get my service done.
i love making video. SO as soo nas I make a good video I will be sure to post it up and toss a link.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.

Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC).

Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).

Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)

Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).

Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).

Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles (24003 VC).

Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal (24011 VC). If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).

Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors (24600 VC).

Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).

Driving with just parking lights on (24800 VC). Vehicles that have factory-installed automatic daytime running lights must meet federal requirements and are legal.

Illegal decorative lights (24003 VC). All flashing decorative lights are illegal (25250 VC)

Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed. (25106 VC, 24003 VC).

Lights attached to tire valves (24003, 25250 VC).

Lighted license plate frames (unless red) (24003 VC).

Illegal lights, whether or not they are operating. It is illegal just to have them on the vehicle (24003 VC).

Info above is from CHP

From talking with a CHP officer (neighbor) underglow is not legal in CA, so take this info for what you think it is worth.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts