Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Owners Manual, and read that the recommeded oil is "BRP XP-S 5W40 Synthetic Oil". I didn't think it was a good idea to use synthetic oil until after breakin. In cars and trucks they say not to use it until after 20,000 miles. Also BRP says to change the oil every 3,000 miles. That doesn't seem right to me, it should last longer than that.
But with that said. I have a Polaris Scrambler ATV, that has used Polaris Synthetic from the start. That is what they recommed.
So does anyone have any comments on the use of Synthetic Oil?

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
In cars and trucks they say not to use it until after 20,000 miles.
Welcome to Can-AmTalk.

That isn't a commonly held recommendation any longer. Many cars and bikes come straight from the factory with Synthetic. I would run quality Synthetic and change every 3K as recommended.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a 2004 car that came from the factory with synthetic oil and I have never put in anything but synthetic in it. I have not had any engine issues with it. However, even though the instant oil change facilities all recommend oil changes every 3K miles, the car has an oil life gauge and I've never changed it before the gauge said I was down to about 5% oil life remaining. That works out to about 8K - 9K miles. Good thing too as those oil changes run about $75 each instead of the $25 they charge for conventional motor oil.

·
Registered
298 Posts
"Also BRP says to change the oil every 3,000 miles"

My maunal says to change oil every 3000 kms or 100 hrs, which ever comes first. And yes use synthetic oil, it's highly recommand in the Outties!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
New corvettes have come with Mobile 1 synthetic for years right from the factory. If BRP says to use it I sure would. And will.

·
tonga
439 Posts
Amsoil came out with 0W 40 for V-Twins performance motors.
About BRP Synthetic oil. I have read in the manual that SM rated oil is not to be used in the Spyder because of the clutch. Hope they tell everyone because a lot of people don't read owners manuals. I for one will use the BRP oil because I'm sure it will be one of the best. The only thing is that I hope they don't go crazy on the price !!! I've always used Synthetic oil and have a Benz that came with it from the factory and no problems breaking it in. New engines today are machined so well that they are almost ready to go right out of the lot. Can't Wait till Spring !!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I always use the Mobil 1 Motorcycle racing oil which is recommended for wet or dry clutches in my other bikes so I would use the same in the Spyder.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
That is the third time this week Mobile 1 has been brought up and I am not talking about bikes or this site. Will have to do some research as I don't want to switch once I start, but do not really feel like paying $10.95 a quart for Rotax if something else is just as good.

·
ReTARRED
407 Posts
I had a Polaris 400 Sportsman that I ran the 0/40 Polaris synthetic. Expensive stuff,but using anything else voided the warrenty.

If anyone is really interested in oil and how its tested,check out this site. Massive amounts of info on oil

·
tonga
439 Posts
I had a Polaris 400 Sportsman that I ran the 0/40 Polaris synthetic. Expensive stuff,but using anything else voided the warrenty.

If anyone is really interested in oil and how its tested,check out this site. Massive amounts of info on oil
Synthetic Oil costs more then the regular stuff and a couple of dollars more to get the stuff from the dealer wont kill you. Warranty is my concern. Mobil 1 or Amsoil are pretty pricey so check out the difference before you make up you mind.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I had a Polaris 400 Sportsman that I ran the 0/40 Polaris synthetic. Expensive stuff,but using anything else voided the warrenty...
actually that is not true. by law, if the manufacturer requires that you run a certain oil to maintain the warranty, then they must supply the oil (free of charge) during the warranty period. i remember this came up a few years ago on a ferrari f50 that required 12 qts. of a special shell oil (@$60 per quart).

but, to quote the owners manual:

Recommended Oil
The same oil lubricates the engine, the gearbox and the clutch. Use BRP XP-S 5W40 synthetic oil (P/N 293 600 039) or an equivalent motorcycle oil meeting the requirements for API service SL, SJ, SH or SG classification. Always check the API service label on the oil container.

fwiw, when the aprilias came out we did a lot of testing on oils because the clutches tended to slip with synthetics. we found the motul to be the best and have used it in these rotax motors for seven years now.

hope this helps.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
actually that is not true. by law, if the manufacturer requires that you run a certain oil to maintain the warranty, then they must supply the oil (free of charge) during the warranty period. i remember this came up a few years ago on a ferrari f50 that required 12 qts. of a special shell oil (@$60 per quart).

but, to quote the owners manual:

Recommended Oil
The same oil lubricates the engine, the gearbox and the clutch. Use BRP XP-S 5W40 synthetic oil (P/N 293 600 039) or an equivalent motorcycle oil meeting the requirements for API service SL, SJ, SH or SG classification. Always check the API service label on the oil container.

fwiw, when the aprilias came out we did a lot of testing on oils because the clutches tended to slip with synthetics. we found the motul to be the best and have used it in these rotax motors for seven years now.

hope this helps.
I was wondering when you would chime in, Thank you.
Are you refering to Motul 300V Sport? Did you ever try Amsoil? I certainly do not mind paying for something if I am getting it. The Rotax stuff is just way over priced for what it is. Motul is not cheap by anymeans, i will keep researching. The top 3 seem to consitainly be Motul, mobile 1 and Amsoil test after test.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I was wondering when you would chime in, Thank you.
Are you refering to Motul 300V Sport? Did you ever try Amsoil? I certainly do not mind paying for something if I am getting it. The Rotax stuff is just way over priced for what it is. Motul is not cheap by anymeans, i will keep researching. The top 3 seem to consitainly be Motul, mobile 1 and Amsoil test after test.
since most of the bikes we deal with are street ridden exotics (or super exotics) and not track bikes, we recommend the motul 7100 synthetic ester oil (used to be called e-tech). but, if you are not wanting a synthetic, the motul 3000 is also a very good oil.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
actually that is not true. by law, if the manufacturer requires that you run a certain oil to maintain the warranty, then they must supply the oil (free of charge) during the warranty period.
You are correct, here's the Act you are referring to.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act Affects Engine Warranties
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, a marine, snowmobile or other engine manufacturer can make a warranty conditional on the use of a specific brand of motor oil or related lubricant ONLY if those products are provided free of charge.

The warranty statement in the manual is the only warranty which is official and a mechanic or dealer has no authority to supersede this statement. This Federal Law Prohibits dealers/mechanics to require the use of an OEM or specific brand of oil unless the dealer/mechanic can prove to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) that, (1) no one else has an oil which will work, or (2) they must provide the oil to you free of charge for the required warranty period.

If the original equipment manufacturer's (OEM) product is not provided free of charge, the manufacturer must produce a Federal Trade Commission waiver exempting it from the conditions of the Magnuson-Moss Act

·
Registered
352 Posts
BRP oil is not made by them or by Rotax. They put out bids and the lowest bid gets to supply the oil. In years past Castrol has been the manufacturer oF the XPS oil as labeled by BRP. I am not a fan of Amsoil. Any company that has to sell through distributors who operate out of their garages would be questionable in my opinion. All their so called "tests" were performen by people hired by them...so of course the results would favor Amsoil over the competition. I don't think anyone could go wrong by using Mobil 1 (motorcycles specific) or Royal Purple oil.

Richard

·
Registered
214 Posts
does royal purple even make an oil that is designed to work with motorcycle clutches? You gotta remember that the engine oil is also what lubricates the clutch plates. Too much additive to "reduce friction" will make the clutches slip under hard acceleration.

I dont understand why so many people just refuse to use what the manufacturer recommends.... you buy a 15000 bike, but dont want to pay too much for the correct oil? Maybe its just me.....

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
BRP oil is not made by them or by Rotax. They put out bids and the lowest bid gets to supply the oil. In years past Castrol has been the manufacturer oF the XPS oil as labeled by BRP. I am not a fan of Amsoil. Any company that has to sell through distributors who operate out of their garages would be questionable in my opinion. All their so called "tests" were performen by people hired by them...so of course the results would favor Amsoil over the competition. I don't think anyone could go wrong by using Mobil 1 (motorcycles specific) or Royal Purple oil.

Richard
Correction on the garge thing, many dealers also sell it. IF you check the bottom of the report out it was a certified test. I am really glad you said Rotax is Castrol, that is thee worst oil next to Penzoil any any test I have ever seen. Makes is really easy to NOT use Castrol. Mobile 1 may have friction modifiers and not good for wet clutch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts