Can Am Spyder Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mike,
That is an excellent idea and a great photo, but I have a question. With the rack mounted on the hitch---and the hitch mounted to the swing arm---is there a lot of bouncing of the cooler as you go over bumps in the road. I am having a hard time seeing how it would not shake up the beer

Also you would have to conform to the factory specs. on tounge weight when loading the cooler.
Thanks C-YA RL
I don't put my electric cooler on the hitch rack when it is attached directly to the trailer ball. I remove the rack from the trailer ball plate and strap it directly onto the trailer arm itself. I have a folding carton which is inserted into the base of the cooler rack and the electric cooler is placed inside of this box. I stay within the limits of the tongue weight for the trailer. It is a fairly light cooler and I find that when it sits on the trailer tongue arm it does very little moving around and does not add a significant amount of weight to the tongue.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ahhh!!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet It's on now!!!
OK then I have the rack welded up, I ground down the excess welds, and I had a local body shop bondo, sand, and primer the whole mess. I still have to make a couple of small bends, cut threads on the mounting studs, and mark the trunk lid for drill hole placement.
I am not sure if I will just paint the rack or powder coat it, but I will post a photo later this evening of the rough rack.
Stay tuned C-YA RL

·
Registered
244 Posts
OK then I have the rack welded up, I ground down the excess welds, and I had a local body shop bondo, sand, and primer the whole mess. I still have to make a couple of small bends, cut threads on the mounting studs, and mark the trunk lid for drill hole placement.
I am not sure if I will just paint the rack or powder coat it, but I will post a photo later this evening of the rough rack.
Stay tuned C-YA RL
Wooooooo Whoooooo!

·
TicketBait
198 Posts
Hi all. I am a new member I own an orbital blue RT-S with about 5000 mi on the odometer. My wife and I recently took off for an 8 day jaunt. Having a Goldwing prior to the Spyder, we have our likes and areas we feel could be improved; however, I have no regrets. In packing for our trip, I found the need for a little more room. I really thought it would be nice to have a trunk rack. It took 1 saddle bag just to handle the cover and our rain gear; how nice it would have been to have these items on the trunk rack, thus freeing up a saddle bag and there would be my little more room. Another option that I used on the Wing was a trunk rack bag to get at all of those items you like to get at easily at most stops, thus eliminating the need to open the trunk so often. I have seen nothing of a trunk rack in the works, any thoughts?
Yes my thought is to get a trailer, since not all the time will you need to carry stuff except for overnite trips. And they make it to match your expensive bike. I have been told you don't even realize you are pulling it, it's so smooth, even when empty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too like having additional capacity for light weight/bulky items. I don't however particularly like trunk/top case racks for a couple reasons. (1) Items tend to be in the air stream and contribute negatively to aero drag, and (2) Some top cases can carry very little weight. Think GL1800. My solution is a Tag A Long. I built mine from a kit using GL1800 side cases. It offers GL1800 side cases for weatherproof storage plus space (covered) in the center for a small cooler, dirty laundry, etc. It also includes additional lighting at the rear (tail, stop and turn). Think of a small trailer that doesn't have a wheel and is therefore much easier to maneuver in reverse. It's also considerably less expensive. It attaches to the vehicle via the hitch receiver.

I sold the GL1800 but kept the Tag. I haven't decided if I want to buy a Spyder RT. I test rode one and was impressed. If I do get one, I will install the Tag. If not, I will sell it. It's 2008 GL1800 Caliente Red if you are interested.

Hi all. I am a new member I own an orbital blue RT-S with about 5000 mi on the odometer. My wife and I recently took off for an 8 day jaunt. Having a Goldwing prior to the Spyder, we have our likes and areas we feel could be improved; however, I have no regrets. In packing for our trip, I found the need for a little more room. I really thought it would be nice to have a trunk rack. It took 1 saddle bag just to handle the cover and our rain gear; how nice it would have been to have these items on the trunk rack, thus freeing up a saddle bag and there would be my little more room. Another option that I used on the Wing was a trunk rack bag to get at all of those items you like to get at easily at most stops, thus eliminating the need to open the trunk so often. I have seen nothing of a trunk rack in the works, any thoughts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
OK guys. I finally got the rack close enough to done to show it off. I still have to give it another coat of paint. I decided to paint it with satin black to try to get it to disappear. I didn't want to chrome it and a shiny black would have made it stand out too. I spent waayyyy to much time welding--grinding--sanding---and painting, but I think it was worth it. It will allow us to strap out rain gear on it for fast and easy access.
C-YA RL

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can't really tell from the pictures. Can you open the trunk fully without the front of the rack hitting the back of the seat?
What size tubing did you use? I need something like this. How wide is the rack?

Thanks
Dwight
Yes the trunk opens fully, in fact I like the fact that I can use the rack as a handle to open & close the trunk.
I used 5/16" steel rod, but I think 1/4" would do just fine. I always over engineer things

Front to back 8.5" -- front side to side 14.5" -- rear side to side 17.5".
It was a lot of work, but worth it.
C-YA RL

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
The mounting plate seen in the following photo is attached to the trailer hitch with the existing trailer ball. Remove the trailer ball, set the plate in place and reinsert the trailer ball. You will need a large deep socket (1 7/8) to remove the bolt from the BRP hitch. Once in place, the plate is a permanent attachment and does not interfere with the trailer tongue. To install the cooler rack you simply slide the bars into the mounting plate and slide the locking cotter pins into place. Takes about 20 seconds to insert or remove the cooler rack. I have had this cooler rack for my past three bikes and have found it very handy for carrying all sorts of things, from gas cans, to small bags, to a set of golf clubs. I also have an insert for the rack that allows for me to mount a folding plastic crate on the rack.
View attachment 9158
Hi Northstar!

This looks like a great idea. We've been trying to figure out how we could get a tent and a couple of sleeping bags on our bike so we could do some overnight camping trips. I think the picture you posted here would definitely work. We went out today and found a few racks similar to what you show but they were all 60" in width. The one you have seems to be smaller. I think that 60" will be too wide.

What width is yours and do you have any other specific information for it? Also, does the bike handle the load on the back end well?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the gs, not the touring spyder so even less storage. And used to an Electra Glide side bags and trunk with raqck, I needed to find more storage. Kuryakyn makes a couple of tour bags, the larger one fits nicely on the tail, and carries lots. wingie

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the gs, not the touring spyder so even less storage. And used to an Electra Glide side bags and trunk with raqck, I needed to find more storage. Kuryakyn makes a couple of tour bags, the larger one fits nicely on the tail, and carries lots. wingie
It's the Can Am Spyder Gran Am Tour Bag. Black Widow accessories carries it as I'm sure others do also. Wingie

·
Registered
33 Posts
what I would think you need to worry about is the stress it will put on the lid and hinge. how much does the rack alone weigh, plus add a small roll back or mini tour pack ... thats a lot more weight then you think...

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you purchase the "Rear Top Cargo Travel Bag" it comes with a "shelf" that allows you to store the "Travel Cover" under the shelf and put your "want to get at easily" stuff in the travel bag on top of the shelf. "Try it, you'll like it!!"

21 - 40 of 56 Posts