Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am a new member I own an orbital blue RT-S with about 5000 mi on the odometer. My wife and I recently took off for an 8 day jaunt. Having a Goldwing prior to the Spyder, we have our likes and areas we feel could be improved; however, I have no regrets. In packing for our trip, I found the need for a little more room. I really thought it would be nice to have a trunk rack. It took 1 saddle bag just to handle the cover and our rain gear; how nice it would have been to have these items on the trunk rack, thus freeing up a saddle bag and there would be my little more room. Another option that I used on the Wing was a trunk rack bag to get at all of those items you like to get at easily at most stops, thus eliminating the need to open the trunk so often. I have seen nothing of a trunk rack in the works, any thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all. I am a new member I own an orbital blue RT-S with about 5000 mi on the odometer. My wife and I recently took off for an 8 day jaunt. Having a Goldwing prior to the Spyder, we have our likes and areas we feel could be improved; however, I have no regrets. In packing for our trip, I found the need for a little more room. I really thought it would be nice to have a trunk rack. It took 1 saddle bag just to handle the cover and our rain gear; how nice it would have been to have these items on the trunk rack, thus freeing up a saddle bag and there would be my little more room. Another option that I used on the Wing was a trunk rack bag to get at all of those items you like to get at easily at most stops, thus eliminating the need to open the trunk so often. I have seen nothing of a trunk rack in the works, any thoughts?
I'm with you on this one sook5. I've always used a rear trunk rack to carry rain gear.

Dwight

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Welcome to SpyderTalk.

I've thought about the same thing after seeing a rack on a wing. I haven't exceeded my capacity yet, but totally agree it would be nice to have the option to store some gear outside.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The RT was supposed to come with the Travel Cover, but they substituted the larger (and more expensive) Outdoor Cover. If you purchase a Travel Cover from your dealer, you can free up a lot of room. It takes up only about 1/4 - 1/3 of the volume of the Outdoor Cover.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A trunk rack on the RT is most probably impractical. The angle of the rear trunk and the surface area do not appear to allow sufficient space for securely mounting any of the after market racks that are currently available.

Another option, if you have a trailer hitch, is to attach a cooler rack to the hitch in order to carry that extra stuff that most of us need when traveling. On my last bike, a Goldwing, I installed a removable Rivco cooler rack to the hitch so I could strap an extra suitcase or bag to the bike when traveling without a trailer. I also had a hard case Golf Travel bag that could also be transported on this rack.

I still have this rack and use it on occasion, attached to the trailer hitch of my RT when I want to travel and do not want to tow my 622 trailer. When we go camping I strap the cooler rack onto the tongue of my trailer to carry my electric cooler which is plugged into the 12 volt receptacle in the trunk of the RT.

The wonderful thing about a cooler rack is that it is a quick release system that takes no time to mount on the hitch. Once again, this solution only works if you have a trailer hitch on which to mount the cooler rack holder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still believe a trunk rack would be practical. The front stem's would have to be short and the rear longer to make a flat surface. I don't think there is anything out there that could be retro fit and still look good. My past bikes all had racks and I used them when I needed the extra space, I guess thats why I miss a rack. I don't expect to see an aftermarket rack for the Spyder anytime soon. But who knows!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had considered a rack. Easy enough to fabricate something if you have a welder. I agree that the angle of the lid makes it impractical, but to me the deal-breaker is the weakness of the gas shocks. The lid would be a bear to open when loaded, and would not stay open so you could load the trunk, IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I had considered a rack. Easy enough to fabricate something if you have a welder. I agree that the angle of the lid makes it impractical, but to me the deal-breaker is the weakness of the gas shocks. The lid would be a bear to open when loaded, and would not stay open so you could load the trunk, IMO.
I bet BRP has this idea on the radar for a next year or soon after. Just seems natural. Then again, they are really into "lines"...and racks aren't sexy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is a good idea, if done correctly.

Well... all your posts got my mind working on is this...

Think of a good solid "Hiking" backpack. You know the ones with Aluminum internals to help keep it's shape...

Now imagine the back of the RT... Now picture a set of brackets coming from under the arm rests, but above the "Mounting" place for the arm rests that have a quick disconnect for the "Pack" to mount to.

Then utilize the "Bolt" holes for the license plate for another quick disconnection bracket.

OK... Now shape this unit like the shape of the RT between the tail lights, down to the lower bracket, and then get larger up to the top (Technically you could go pretty wide at this point because no lights are going to be blocked, only wind is the concern to cause a limit to the size).

You could have two or three different sizes, depending on how tall you are willing to go.

Of course there would need to be a space left to allow a person to unlock and lock the rear compartments. And allow the usage of the pull levers as well.

This would leave full access to the top rear compartment as it is, but at the same time allow for most "Wet" gear to be rolled up and placed in this new found luggage space.

Heck, throw in a few water bottle holders and I would buy one

***EDIT*** I just wanted to drop a link in here from Amazon. Seems there are 395 "Framed" Hiking backpacks. Ranging from $45 to $500 ish...

In fact I would add this thought. It might be better to design a "Rack" that allows folks to use e backpack of their own choosing. So the product built is only the framework of the mount allowing any if not most backpacks to simply mount to the mount like they are arms. Of course the mount would have to have a few inches of depth to allow for no strap slippage if strapped correctly... This also solves the need to leaving enough room for the latches and key lock...

·
Registered
929 Posts
A trunk rack on the RT is most probably impractical. The angle of the rear trunk and the surface area do not appear to allow sufficient space for securely mounting any of the after market racks that are currently available.

Another option, if you have a trailer hitch, is to attach a cooler rack to the hitch in order to carry that extra stuff that most of us need when traveling. On my last bike, a Goldwing, I installed a removable Rivco cooler rack to the hitch so I could strap an extra suitcase or bag to the bike when traveling without a trailer. I also had a hard case Golf Travel bag that could also be transported on this rack.

I still have this rack and use it on occasion, attached to the trailer hitch of my RT when I want to travel and do not want to tow my 622 trailer. When we go camping I strap the cooler rack onto the tongue of my trailer to carry my electric cooler which is plugged into the 12 volt receptacle in the trunk of the RT.

The wonderful thing about a cooler rack is that it is a quick release system that takes no time to mount on the hitch. Once again, this solution only works if you have a trailer hitch on which to mount the cooler rack holder.
Great idea attaching the cooler rack but how do you secure it... The designs I see slide into a class II or III receiver and the RT hitch isn't made that way. Any pics?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really thought it would be nice to have a trunk rack. It took 1 saddle bag just to handle the cover and our rain gear; how nice it would have been to have these items on the trunk rack, thus freeing up a saddle bag and there would be my little more room.
I liked your idea so much I decided to fabricate my own rack---so I designed one and drew it up on Auto-Cad. Now I am in the process of fabricating it.
I will post photos as the work progresses.
Thanks for the idea. C-YA RL

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ahhh!!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet It's on now!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great idea attaching the cooler rack but how do you secure it... The designs I see slide into a class II or III receiver and the RT hitch isn't made that way. Any pics?
The mounting plate seen in the following photo is attached to the trailer hitch with the existing trailer ball. Remove the trailer ball, set the plate in place and reinsert the trailer ball. You will need a large deep socket (1 7/8) to remove the bolt from the BRP hitch. Once in place, the plate is a permanent attachment and does not interfere with the trailer tongue. To install the cooler rack you simply slide the bars into the mounting plate and slide the locking cotter pins into place. Takes about 20 seconds to insert or remove the cooler rack. I have had this cooler rack for my past three bikes and have found it very handy for carrying all sorts of things, from gas cans, to small bags, to a set of golf clubs. I also have an insert for the rack that allows for me to mount a folding plastic crate on the rack.
Rectangle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bicycle part Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mike,
That is an excellent idea and a great photo, but I have a question. With the rack mounted on the hitch---and the hitch mounted to the swing arm---is there a lot of bouncing of the cooler as you go over bumps in the road. I am having a hard time seeing how it would not shake up the beer

Also you would have to conform to the factory specs. on tounge weight when loading the cooler.
Thanks C-YA RL

·
Registered
244 Posts
What was that you said Doug---Game on!!!

C-YA RL
Heck yes.. You always create great stuff! Once you get started on a new project you seem to not stop till it is done right. That just means another sweet option is on the way from your shop

1 - 20 of 56 Posts