Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to sell or trade in my Silverado. I never liked that truck from day one, but I bought it with insurance money I recieved after an intoxicated driver broadsided me and took the life of my beloved Dodge Ram. What I have now is a Silverado 1500 X-Cab 4x4 short bed loaded with all the options and a 7.5' Boss snowplow. It's not really big enough for what I need; the cab is too small for the kiddies, really, and the bed is too short with the toolbox in it to be really useful.

I am trying to decide whether to go with a newer Ram 2500 or Ford Superduty F-250. I'd really like to find a crew cab (4 door) with an 8' bed. My local dealer has a used 2004 Ram crew cab 8' bed, loaded, with the Cummins turbodiesel in it, it has 60K on it, but he wants $26K for it and is only looking at giving me the KBB wholesale of $6K for mine. Truthfully, I am looking at the Ford HARD!!! but can't seem to find a crew cab with the 8' bed anywhere. I can't afford to buy new, so used trucks are really my only option.

What I'm interested in knowing is overall, which vehicle is superior? This truck will be used to tow my sled trailer, haul my quads, and plow mine and a couple other driveways. It's not a daily commuter because I have a company vehicle, so a Ford with the V-10 is okay because fuel mileage is not a huge concern.

Not really sure what way to go, so looking for opinions/experiences with these two trucks and what you people thought of them over the long-term.

·
JPS
244 Posts
I have decided to sell or trade in my Silverado. I never liked that truck from day one, but I bought it with insurance money I recieved after an intoxicated driver broadsided me and took the life of my beloved Dodge Ram. What I have now is a Silverado 1500 X-Cab 4x4 short bed loaded with all the options and a 7.5' Boss snowplow. It's not really big enough for what I need; the cab is too small for the kiddies, really, and the bed is too short with the toolbox in it to be really useful.

I am trying to decide whether to go with a newer Ram 2500 or Ford Superduty F-250. I'd really like to find a crew cab (4 door) with an 8' bed. My local dealer has a used 2004 Ram crew cab 8' bed, loaded, with the Cummins turbodiesel in it, it has 60K on it, but he wants $26K for it and is only looking at giving me the KBB wholesale of $6K for mine. Truthfully, I am looking at the Ford HARD!!! but can't seem to find a crew cab with the 8' bed anywhere. I can't afford to buy new, so used trucks are really my only option.

What I'm interested in knowing is overall, which vehicle is superior? This truck will be used to tow my sled trailer, haul my quads, and plow mine and a couple other driveways. It's not a daily commuter because I have a company vehicle, so a Ford with the V-10 is okay because fuel mileage is not a huge concern.

Not really sure what way to go, so looking for opinions/experiences with these two trucks and what you people thought of them over the long-term.
Boy oh boy are you opening up a can of worms here Merlin.

My hauler

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you're looking at a diesel, don't buy a used Ford unless it has the old 7.3. My relatives told me to steer clear of the newer diesels in the Fords until they come out with something better than the current diesel. They have replaced the rings every 30k on their latest and greatest and said that they're taking that motor out and replacing it with an old 7.3L so they have something they can rely upon. I was thinking I heard something about the '08s having a new diesel. The Ford is a great truck if you can find the right motor IMO.

I'm not brand biased but wanted a diesel so I went with the Dodge since the 5.9L has been around the block a few times, but if Ford gets their stuff back together like they did with the old 7.3, I'll be driving the blue oval again. Just my 2 cents and I'm sure there will be flames associated with this topic. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Despite your Chevy woah's, i would upgrade to the 2500HD With the Durmax and Allison tranny, thats what my dad did, and me and him love it. If i was to choose between Dodge Cummin's or the Ford powerstroke, I'd go with the Dodge.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Both of the trucks that you chose are good choices and as far as power and reliability go they are even, but with their own specific quirks. Which one will come with the best dealer service? Service and repair costs are about even although I would stay away from the earlier 6.0 TD Fords.
The only misgivings I have with the Dodge are the Death Wobbles and Daimler Chryslers inability to resolve it. Their engineers put the steering stabilizer in the wrong spot and this coupled with the suspension dynamics can make for a wild ride. google dodge ram death wobbles.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Wizz, the trailer is a 27'Triton all alum, weighs in at 2200lbs or so, I can only firt 3 atvs in as the trailer is the 7' wide one, but I can fit 4 sleds.
Fully loaded with the truck, camper on and 3 atvs , we weigh 18500lbs, the truck is tricked out and is now putting out 450hp and about 850ftlbs of torque, still not even close in power to my 2002 but way nicer.

Wolf

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wizz, the trailer is a 27'Triton all alum, weighs in at 2200lbs or so, I can only firt 3 atvs in as the trailer is the 7' wide one, but I can fit 4 sleds.
Fully loaded with the truck, camper on and 3 atvs , we weigh 18500lbs, the truck is tricked out and is now putting out 450hp and about 850ftlbs of torque, still not even close in power to my 2002 but way nicer.

Wolf
Oh wow, very nice setup... I'm assuming your truck has a Cat-Back, CAI, and Chip. None the less, very nice setup, how do the 4 sleds fit in there? My dad just bought a new 18 foot trailer, and I thought that was going to be long....
Hows towing with a trailer that size, and hows parking?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see you got the dodge.

I have the same truck that you wrecked(well similar). I also have a Ford F250 w/ 7.3 psd. I bought my dodge in February and my father in law bought the Ford in the fall sometime. I took the Ford off his hands this summer since he bought a New 08 Ford F 350. I still drive the dodge. Its more comfy and drives nicer 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton. But the Ford get better milage 17-19 (No joke) The main reason I took the Ford off my father in law is Rust. My poor Ram is rusting to pieces. The Ford has none. Plus there is a huge difference pulling my 8K Travel Trailer. I don't even need the weight distribution hitch to pull with the ford. You should be happy with that dodge. Other than the milage of the hemi. Cummins are HAWT!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thx...

I sometimes dont understand when ppl put a lift on and put girly tires on. This way is much better

I run Banks 6 Guns with PDA. (124HP/303TQ boost) I run that with AFE Stage2 Intake and 4"Turboback exhaust.

I dont think any kind of tire would've helped me here.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As Carnage noted, I bought the Dodge.

Here are a few pics; 23K miles, 2500 SLT, loaded power options, all the good stuff. Cost me $16K plus my Silverado when all was said and done. Picked it up last night. Hemi pulls good but is not the road monster people think it is. Overall very happy with my deal and really like the new rig.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts