Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through the kind heart of my dealer up here, I got a spyder for a number of hours.
weather, light when picked up, now dark, 50 degrees F, slight mist/drizzle
wearing a leather jacket, jeans, helmet, gloves.

I found that it handles great, the independent suspension is a little strange to get used to as one wheel bounces up and down on some bumps that the other misses. The shift was normal except I found issues at times getting into neutral. Reverse works like a charm except you dont need much gas and you can let the clutch out further with confidence where as in 1 and up, it graps quickly. With the colder temps, I found my legs against the body, Heat generated from the engine kept my legs warm nicely. Some type of deflector would be great for the hands though, similar to a snowmobile would be great.
I found that at night, the gauges lit up nicely, a nice contract in a tan/white vrs bright white, dim on the dial which was nice, not blinding you at all but easy to see and adjust to. I found my eyes drawn to the center for the speed/digital vrs the analog gauges.
I also found that riding behind a wind screen all these years, and then getting on the spyder with all but non has a HUGE impact on the assumed speed you are traveling, It seems you are moving much faster than you actually are.
During the hours of riding, I had to make 2 emergency stops due to caged drivers, the spyder stoped on a dime at a speed of 30mph. I also had to make 1 emergency turn (door opened), the spyder responded instantly and returned to normal line of travel in the blink of an eye.
WHen the drizzle came in, there was no protection at all for the upper body, the lower body did not see a drop of moisture, from about the stomach up did though. A slight lean forward corrected most of this and this brought upon a whole NEW driving experience, down low on the spyder, you become one with the machine!!! wonderful experiance.
I was pulled over by the local police once,, to take photos of it
and when I got gas (I burned through a full tank and yes it gets about 34mpg) I had a crowd come over and check out this "wild", "shut up what is that", "that is THE slickets" vehicle on the road.
Once the road was wet I decided to give it some gas and pop the clutch in 3rd, the bike responded nicely as the back started to break away, and cut power down to the rear (them there computer thingies working).
Over all, I found it a great ride, slightly straining on the neck, although I am coming off a touring bike to a sport position. The start button takes a little getting used to. Loved it,, and I DONT want to give it back,, but I must,,,,,, tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,
Total time so far, 9 hours!! time to burn through a 3rd tank of gas!!!!

·
ReTARRED
407 Posts
Excellent "report", Chuck. I m jealous. The only time I ve ridden one was two,maybe 15 minute rides back in May. Now that I m in Seattle instead of upper Michigan, I can t find a dealer close unless I drive to Vancouver,BC. ,which is 120 miles. Not a bad trip,but I need a birth certificate to get into Canada. Tomorrow they are giving demos.

I did call Joe the Dealer today.(Joe is the salesman from Antigo Yamaha). They are expecting delivery " any day now". :rolleyes:

same ol`/ same ol`..

·
Ken5517 / Wish Again
1,434 Posts
Through the kind heart of my dealer up here, I got a spyder for a number of hours.
weather, light when picked up, now dark, 50 degrees F, slight mist/drizzle
wearing a leather jacket, jeans, helmet, gloves.

I found that it handles great, the independent suspension is a little strange to get used to as one wheel bounces up and down on some bumps that the other misses. The shift was normal except I found issues at times getting into neutral. Reverse works like a charm except you dont need much gas and you can let the clutch out further with confidence where as in 1 and up, it graps quickly. With the colder temps, I found my legs against the body, Heat generated from the engine kept my legs warm nicely. Some type of deflector would be great for the hands though, similar to a snowmobile would be great.
I found that at night, the gauges lit up nicely, a nice contract in a tan/white vrs bright white, dim on the dial which was nice, not blinding you at all but easy to see and adjust to. I found my eyes drawn to the center for the speed/digital vrs the analog gauges.
I also found that riding behind a wind screen all these years, and then getting on the spyder with all but non has a HUGE impact on the assumed speed you are traveling, It seems you are moving much faster than you actually are.
During the hours of riding, I had to make 2 emergency stops due to caged drivers, the spyder stoped on a dime at a speed of 30mph. I also had to make 1 emergency turn (door opened), the spyder responded instantly and returned to normal line of travel in the blink of an eye.
WHen the drizzle came in, there was no protection at all for the upper body, the lower body did not see a drop of moisture, from about the stomach up did though. A slight lean forward corrected most of this and this brought upon a whole NEW driving experience, down low on the spyder, you become one with the machine!!! wonderful experiance.
I was pulled over by the local police once,, to take photos of it
and when I got gas (I burned through a full tank and yes it gets about 34mpg) I had a crowd come over and check out this "wild", "shut up what is that", "that is THE slickets" vehicle on the road.
Once the road was wet I decided to give it some gas and pop the clutch in 3rd, the bike responded nicely as the back started to break away, and cut power down to the rear (them there computer thingies working).
Over all, I found it a great ride, slightly straining on the neck, although I am coming off a touring bike to a sport position. The start button takes a little getting used to. Loved it,, and I DONT want to give it back,, but I must,,,,,, tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,
Total time so far, 9 hours!! time to burn through a 3rd tank of gas!!!!
Charles

Great report

I like the part about what gets wet and what doesn't as I also am coming from a tour bike, I already knew about the wind and I hope that the TOUR windshield takes care of that.

The cluster report was good and the more that I hear from people that have actualy rode a Spyder in the rain have all said the samething. I feel alot safer already.

Thanks for noticing the small details the are very important for those of us that haven't been able to ride at night yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Charles, sounds like you are having a good time.

I had the same 'hard to find neutral' experience the last time I rode the demo at my dealership. It was a yellow Spyder and, when I was going to park it at the end of my ride, it would not go to neutral. I dinked with it for a couple of minutes when the salesperson finally just shut it off and said they would work on it later. I never really had a problem getting it in neutral out on the road. He said he thought it had something to do with going from reverse to neutral which was my scenario when parking it.

My wife and I tried to get our dealer to give us some special riding priveledges like take it home for the night or whatnot but he was going strictly by the book according to what BRP told him about the demo rides. No demos in the rain, no expressway ride, no after hours rides... I partially think that his salesmen and him were taking them home and cruising with them in the evenings.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 2,

by the great gods of BRP, I have had a spyder now for a few days!!! demo, to ride. Of course I have handed out a stack of business cards for the dealer also lol lol. After riding many hours and many miles, I am just getting the feel of turning in corners at speeds. I am finding that a shift in body weight into the corner helps greatly at higher speeds. That I am gaining confedince in the performance of the spyder. I am finding that a tight corner that I could take at 40 on a bike and lean it over, I can take at 45-50 on the spyder and just come off the seat some and drop my weight off the side into the corner and have it just spin around the corner. The rain was no problem at all and never once did I loose traction with the road. Wet leaves also is a no problem. Typical 2 wheel riding has the following restrictions in this area:

riding in the rain - painted lines, become slick as do crack repair lines
wet leaves -extreemly slick and will drop your bike,
Sand - late season, early season after the snow is gone, or during the winter when a "indian summer" happens in jan/feb
Dirt on the side of the road when taking a tight corner

The spyder removes all of these issues I am finding out and will extend riding season greatly. from late april back to march baring snow, and into december, again, baring snow and your tollerance to cloder weather where I live. Got to get a tourning windscreen though, Looks like ONLY BRP fog lights will fit under also in the slots. As for an underglow system, (neon white), the frame rail is exposed and these can be mounted to either side of it, the light wireing route looks simple for both front and rear lighting.

One pain in the a## is that "please refer to the manual,,,,,, press M,,,,, " message, what a pain that is.

Also on the demo model, the hi-beam flasher,,, is on the throttle side. very awkward.
Today is sunny, but very windy,,, will be nice to see how it handles on the highway with cross winds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Day 2,

by the great gods of BRP, I have had a spyder now for a few days!!! demo, to ride. Of course I have handed out a stack of business cards for the dealer also lol lol. After riding many hours and many miles, I am just getting the feel of turning in corners at speeds. I am finding that a shift in body weight into the corner helps greatly at higher speeds. That I am gaining confedince in the performance of the spyder. I am finding that a tight corner that I could take at 40 on a bike and lean it over, I can take at 45-50 on the spyder and just come off the seat some and drop my weight off the side into the corner and have it just spin around the corner. The rain was no problem at all and never once did I loose traction with the road. Wet leaves also is a no problem. Typical 2 wheel riding has the following restrictions in this area:

riding in the rain - painted lines, become slick as do crack repair lines
wet leaves -extreemly slick and will drop your bike,
Sand - late season, early season after the snow is gone, or during the winter when a "indian summer" happens in jan/feb
Dirt on the side of the road when taking a tight corner

The spyder removes all of these issues I am finding out and will extend riding season greatly. from late april back to march baring snow, and into december, again, baring snow and your tollerance to cloder weather where I live. Got to get a tourning windscreen though, Looks like ONLY BRP fog lights will fit under also in the slots. As for an underglow system, (neon white), the frame rail is exposed and these can be mounted to either side of it, the light wireing route looks simple for both front and rear lighting.

One pain in the a## is that "please refer to the manual,,,,,, press M,,,,, " message, what a pain that is.

Also on the demo model, the hi-beam flasher,,, is on the throttle side. very awkward.
Today is sunny, but very windy,,, will be nice to see how it handles on the highway with cross winds.
Charles- this is great news that you are reporting to us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts