Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Here are a few things I have learned from being present at the PDI, and from having my Spyder for a week.

1) You may want to check the battery just to verify your dealer performed the full charge. The battery is a Yuasa YTX24HL-BS and the specs/info can be found HERE

2) If you experience a starting problem, check the "M" button, I have observed this on two Spyders at my dealers. A simple solution is to use a small amount of silicone lubricant on the button.

3) There seems to be conflicting info about the fuel tank capacity. The Spyder info pamphlet states 7.13 gals, the owners manual states 6.6 gals, and a shop manual at my dealers states 5.9.
The owners manual also states that once the " low level" fuel icon is activated there is 1.2 gals remaining. (OM page #104). From my experience so far, when the low level icon activated, I stopped
and refueled and was able to fill the tank using 4.1 gals(average). So it would appear the capacity is closer to the 5.9, and not the 7.13. At least on my Spyder.

4) I had seen posts about auto adjusting suspension for passenger, and sensors in the seat to prevent starting when raised. This is not the case, there is a wrench in the tool kit (located in the storage compartment)
for manual adjustment on all three springs. Also with the seat raised, the starting system is active.

5) The drive belt specs states a clearance of 1mm (.040) from the inner flange. When properly adjusted this can change to the belt "walking" and being against the flange. I have observed this only when
checking the belt after tight turns, or after having used reverse. Once there is some forward movement, it readjusts to the correct distance from the inner flange.

6) BRP has removed the recommended valve adjustment for the 625 mile service.

This a few things I thought of well having coffee this morning and will add more as I learn more about Spydie.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
Here are a few things I have learned from being present at the PDI, and from having my Spyder for a week.

1) You may want to check the battery just to verify your dealer performed the full charge. The battery is a Yuasa YTX24HL-BS and the specs/info can be found HERE

2) If you experience a starting problem, check the "M" button, I have observed this on two Spyders at my dealers. A simple solution is to use a small amount of silicone lubricant on the button.

3) There seems to be conflicting info about the fuel tank capacity. The Spyder info pamphlet states 7.13 gals, the owners manual states 6.6 gals, and a shop manual at my dealers states 5.9.
The owners manual also states that once the " low level" fuel icon is activated there is 1.2 gals remaining. (OM page #104). From my experience so far, when the low level icon activated, I stopped
and refueled and was able to fill the tank using 4.1 gals(average). So it would appear the capacity is closer to the 5.9, and not the 7.13. At least on my Spyder.

4) I had seen posts about auto adjusting suspension for passenger, and sensors in the seat to prevent starting when raised. This is not the case, there is a wrench in the tool kit (located in the storage compartment)
for manual adjustment on all three springs. Also with the seat raised, the starting system is active.

5) The drive belt specs states a clearance of 1mm (.040) from the inner flange. When properly adjusted this can change to the belt "walking" and being against the flange. I have observed this only when
checking the belt after tight turns, or after having used reverse. Once there is some forward movement, it readjusts to the correct distance from the inner flange.

This a few things I thought of well having coffee this morning and will add more as I learn more about Spydie.
Thank you. Marc added a FAQ for any of your VERY welcome reports FYI

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This site needs people like you who take the time to research and report.
Thank you
Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it.

Well all of the folks at my dealer are great people, seems I keep finding little things that would have been nice to know before taking delivery. Will continue to post anything I find
and feel that would be helpful to other new owners.

·
Registered
314 Posts

seems like it should stay the same. swing arm must be giving..well at least its straight going forward

always go forward & dont look back
HAPPY TRAILS

·
tonga
439 Posts
whoah! Thanx for the info!
Thanks for the info. Haven't got mine yet but am wondering about belt adjustment. Does it require it alot or does it only stretch at breakin and then settle down. What about the first dealer service at 1000 klms (600 miles) Are the valves out of adjustment much? does the dealer tell you how many hours to do it or do they just charge a flat rate? Oli consumption is another question that will come out in time I'm sure but has anyone put enough miles to tell us yet?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it.

Well all of the folks at my dealer are great people, seems I keep finding little things that would have been nice to know before taking delivery. Will continue to post anything I find
and feel that would be helpful to other new owners.
Tharkun

Knowing what you know now from riding, info on this site and info from the dealer, would you still have bought?

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Tharkun

Knowing what you know now from riding, info on this site and info from the dealer, would you still have bought?
If you can not tell from all of my posts, I have no complaints about my dealer (DH Cycles), or of BRP. As I have stated several times, I read and fully understood the order certificate when I signed it. My dealer did not make any "delivery date" promises, and I knew the BRP like other companies, can be slow in the delivery of new products. I was fully prepared to not receive Spydie till March 31, 2008.
I only have about 380 miles on Spydie at present, but have had no issues of any type, the Spydie is a "fun" to own/drive unit, and if you are not one to be bothered by the constant attention of owning a "what is that" type of product, then I can not think of one thing I'm not happy with about the Spyder. So yes, I would order again without a second thought.

·
Registered
708 Posts
"and if you are not one to be bothered by the constant attention of owning a "what is that" type of product, then I can not think of one thing I'm not happy with about the Spyder. So yes, I would order again without a second thought."

Yeah because god knows how we Spyder owners want to keep a LOW profile when riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I might point out, being made in Canada, and sold in the US also, it should be pointed out that US gallons are a different size than the rest of the worlds old gallons (of course, the rest of the world pretty much uses litres for gas now)..
but.. it turns out that 5.9 IMPERIAL GALLONS, exactly equals 7.13 US gallons. lol.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might point out, being made in Canada, and sold in the US also, it should be pointed out that US gallons are a different size than the rest of the worlds old gallons (of course, the rest of the world pretty much uses litres for gas now)..
but.. it turns out that 5.9 IMPERIAL GALLONS, exactly equals 7.13 US gallons. lol.
I'm aware where the Spyder is made and well use to the "liters" measurement. My statement was in regards to the promo pamphlet that BRP provided states " 7.13US gal (27 l), and the Spyder owners manual states "25 L ( 6. 6 U.S. gal)".

·
Lets RYde
669 Posts
Tharkun#409. I have to disagree with your 3rd statement.

"3) There seems to be conflicting info about the fuel tank capacity. The Spyder info pamphlet states 7.13 gals, the owners manual states 6.6 gals, and a shop manual at my dealers states 5.9.
and refueled and was able to fill the tank using 4.1 gals(average). So it would appear the capacity is closer to the 5.9, and not the 7.13. At least on my Spyder."

I have, on multiple occasions filed my gas tank up with more than 6 gallons. The most being 6.28. I would have to say the tank is actually closer to the 6.6us gallon mark

Thank you for the other Updates.

·
Roadkill
142 Posts
Tharkun#409 said:
What ever, there are many different statements by owners on fuel capacity.
+Whatever? Range is important to me.

Hell, my Owners Manual (Operator's Guide) doesn't even have the same page 104 that you mentioned. Page 104 of my manual (#219000536) covers the VIN. Nowhere that I've found in the manual does it mention an approximate remainder at fuel lamp activation.

My highest quantity refill to date has been 5.556 gallons.

Ride on.
Roadkill

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
+Whatever? Range is important to me.
Ride on.
Roadkill
My "whatever" statement was that I'm not going to get into a long debate over if the actual fuel capacity of the Spyder is 5.9, 6.2 or 6.6 US gals. My original post was in regards to the conflicting numbers that BRP stated, and it is a fact the that the 7.13 US gals is not accurate. Gas mileage can be effected by many issues, and for me personally, I'm not going to wait till the last few tenths of gas in the tank before finding a gas station. In my many years of driving vehicles/motorcycles I have never depended upon any gas gauge being 100% accurate, this could be a reason I have never been stranded because of running out of fuel.

·
leoejr
477 Posts
My "whatever" statement was that I'm not going to get into a long debate over if the actual fuel capacity of the Spyder is 5.9, 6.2 or 6.6 US gals. My original post was in regards to the conflicting numbers that BRP stated, and it is a fact the that the 7.13 US gals is not accurate. Gas mileage can be effected by many issues, and for me personally, I'm not going to wait till the last few tenths of gas in the tank before finding a gas station. In my many years of driving vehicles/motorcycles I have never depended upon any gas gauge being 100% accurate, this could be a reason I have never been stranded because of running out of fuel.
You broke the golden rule. never say never. I see a walk to get gas in your future.
Just kidding
Have a super day, week, month, year, life

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for great post/information. I get to pick up our 2008, Red, SE5 tomorrow.

I went by the dealer on Monday to pick up the Owners Manual and get a little heads up on our new purchase. I requested the service tech to adjust the suspension for me. He said it is done automatically, as your #4 comment states:

Wow! I thought how nice is that!! Automatic!!

Once home with the Owners Manual I found the adjustment is the same as any other cycle (plus the front two shocks). Hope my local dude is a better mechanic. Maybe I'll tell him my auto suspension does not appear to be working

First post for me on your forum.....

don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts