Can Am Spyder Forum banner

Theft deterent??

11K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  SpyderGirl 
#1 ·
Has anybody looked into keeping the spyder safe while parked. such as a kill switch, ignition cut off, alarm system for a bike? anyone have thoughts? I for one want something on this, my Suzuki burgman 650 has a locking stearing colum and a closing ignition cover so you can not get at the ignition.

#2 ·
Yeah I have been thinking about that as well....Something that if someone tried to sit on or anything could have an alarm go off.

Later,

Shawn (Spyder-Dude)

#3 ·
Well, you know that old saying, "If someone wants it bad enough, They're gonna steal it."
If keeping honest people honest is the goal, then a kill switch would be my first deterrent. You could always go with a LoJack. Pricey but you'll know right where to find it. An alarm is ok but most people have learned to ignore them for the most part. These new BRP products have a coded key that must be used to start the engine. Each key is programmed to that particular Bike or ATV, adding a kill switch would ensure that no one could start it up and ride off. Using a heavy steel cable when parked for extended periods of time would also be a plus. No thief wants to spend anymore time than absolutely necessary to steal whatever he or she is after.

#4 ·
I am seriously considering putting a GPS locator on my Spyder. Its not that expensive. Then if my Spyder gets stolen the cops can find it right away. Insurance would cover a replacement but probably not a first edition.

What if they made an ejection seat that could be activated if your Spyder got stolen!

#6 ·
They say a motorcycle is stolen every 15 minutes.

My brother who is in the Military in Norfolk Va had his 2005 Suzuki stolen from his Apartment's Driveway
in the middle of the night about year and 1/2 ago.They had a grainy video that showed a van drive up
three people jumped out and put it in the back and drove off.To this day it has never been found.
police said they were probably Pro's.

I do not have special devices on my motorcycle now but I have been looking at GPS security for the
Spyder jest because it is unique and we all know other see dollar signs.And if it were to be stolen even
if insurance would replace it look how long it would take to replace.
It is something we all need to think about ask my brother.

NEXUS

#9 ·
LoJack works when a signal can be sent from the unit to the airwaves. I can't get my cellphone to work in the ground-covered parking garage, but outside my phone gets signal.
LoJack should go off if the unit leaves the cover, unless the unit is inside a box truck. Hmm.

My first deterrent will be an installed ground anchor and heavy chain. Maybe two sets of chains. I'll have to ask my condo owners association for the green light to drill a hole in my parking space for the anchor.

#11 ·
When I went in for a ride at the dealers, the rep who went with me was trying to lock the steering wheel and was having a hard time with it. He said it can be done.

The key is also electronic, (or what ever it is) that it can't be picked.

The GPS is deffinitly going on mine.

#15 ·
The thickest bike chain I could find in the US was 12mm. I've seen videos where that thickness can be cut.

I had to outsource and buy from England a 16mm bike chain and security lock. The video showed how long it took to break the chain, the cutters warped and never broke the chain. The only way the chain can be cut is with a torch. That is also the only way if I lose my keys. The package should arrive this week.

Next, deciding on which ground anchor to buy that would look low profile. Maybe the Y anchor. Lots of
concrete breaking. Think I'll hire a handyman to do that job.

#17 ·
#20 ·
The Spyder steering wheel DOES lock like a typical bike..... turn it all the way to the left and then turn the key far left WITHOUT pushing down.

I have the Talon alarm coming in from Ken. If you lock the wheel and have an alarm that will take care of the amatures. If the Pro's really want your Spyder.... they will pull up with a flatbed wrecker and take it.

#21 ·
Like Danimal said, full lock left OR right on the handlebars, twist the key 90 degrees (without pressing) before removing. I always park mine that way, even under the cover.

Good memory Tharkun, I went for the Lojack and all the other dealer add-ons since they were already ripping me off with prep and freight and it just meant a few more months to pay it off. If my Spyder moves an inch when I'm more than 30 feet from it, I get a call on my cell, a call and an email at home, and a call and an email at work instantly. I'm pretty sure the Lojack unit has an independent battery and they hide them in different places on different bikes. Police have direct access to the tracker signals, so their recovery rate is really good from what I hear, and usually within a very quick time period. Totally worth it for the peace of mind in my book, and I'll let everyone know if I have any problems with it. I ride daily so no battery problems for me, but I think the passive tracker signals take less power than an alarm does.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
What did you pay for the lojack? And is there any monthly or yearly fees?

#26 ·
One of the two fellows that have Spyders already here in town told me he had trouble with drunks sitting on his when it was parked at his work. He got a snowmobile cover he could pull over the top of the Spyder, covering the seat and front but leaving the wheels and exhaust uncovered. It slips on quickly and he doesn't have to wait for the pipes to cool before putting it on. Since then no one has messed with it.
Mike

#27 ·
One of the two fellows that have Spyders already here in town told me he had trouble with drunks sitting on his when it was parked at his work.
Mike
He should find another job where not so many drunks work.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am more concerned about people climbing all over it and touching the buttons and stuff than actually stealing it. I have to admit though, I was a bit apprehensive parking it in the parking garages in Las Vegas. No incidients though. I just lock the steering. I was also considering a lock similar to the wheel & tire lock I purchased for my trailer that is like the boot the police install on cars they impound or whatever.

I did have a guy climb on the bike while it was parked at a gas station in Cameron, AZ on our way back from the Grand Canyon. He did come and ask if he could check it out first but I certainly didn't tell the guy he could sit on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.