Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for comments on the BRP tank bag. Looks handy for small stuff and maps, etc. Thoughts?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the tank bag and find it not only very useful but well made for the Spyder. I keep my EZPass tucked in the inside pocket on the cover, and it has always worked in that location. I also keep a water bottle, glasses, towel, and small map in the tank bag.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Looking for comments on the BRP tank bag. Looks handy for small stuff and maps, etc. Thoughts?
I've got it ... don't like it ... but it's the only one out there that works well with the Spyder. Small, no additional pockets, wrong color (for a yellow 'n blck), hard to install.

Other bags that come close to to fitting the unique slope has to mount with the front strap(s) around the steering head with the rear strap going under the seat some place?! This makes the bag either go to the left or to the right. I'm going to try the small HELD bag I bought for the spyder using the mounting bracket that came with the BRP bag. Hopefully it will work.

All-in-all, the BRP bag is acceptable. Bottom line .... I can't live without a tankbag!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have it. Got it the same day we brought the spyder home. Love it. second best thing we got for it (the first being my backrest) Use it for our phones glasses gloves, masks etc. Though I did put in some foam on the bottom so the things inside wouldnt bang against the tank.

·
Founder / Vice President - San Francisco Bay Area
1,437 Posts
I love the tank bag, it's perfect for going through the drive-thru on the Spyder and grabbing a quick bite to eat without getting off. I love it to store my FasTrak toll bridge pass in so I can just zoom right across the bridges without stopping. Also a great place to store business cards for all the people that stop me at the lights to ask about the Spyder. I also use it to put my little personal stuff in and my iPod. I also plan on getting the Powerlet stufff to wire it up to store a charging area for my cell phone, bluetooth, and iPod.

I guess if I had to pick one bad thing about it.... I'd say price. Based on this size and compared to other tank bags it's on the higher end, but I really bought it without giving the price a second thought because it is really handy to have.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have mine with the powerlets installed so that I have power to the bag. I keep my J&M Integratr and my bike to bike radio and my ipod in the bag. I also throw my wallet and glasses in there. It is very handy. I don't ride with it on a day to day basis but for longer trips I always have it on and it is pretty easy to take on and off and store in the trunk.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have one for W's Spyder. Good size, looks good, ok design, but NOT waterproof - not even close. On a rainy trip recently, everything inside was at least wet, if not drippy. Went with RKA for the replacement.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You would think that someone would design a accessory tank bag or box that would be weather proof and lockable for use at this (most accessible) location.

I have the Burgman 650 that I am using now till I get my Spyder. It has two compartments up front and a locking glove box.
I am sure I will probably get a tank bag of some sort to keep stuff in when my Spyder finally does arrive.

Mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
I remember way back when, Nelson-Rigg was supposed to be designing a set of bags custom made for the Spyder. At least they implied that they were. I wonder whatever happened to that?

·
Registered
188 Posts
You would think that someone would design a accessory tank bag or box that would be weather proof and lockable for use at this (most accessible) location.
There are many aftermarket tank bags that are weather proof though they aren't really made for the Spyder. I have yet to see one that is lockable. I think that is mostly left to the saddlebags or tailbags as they are more apt to be made out of something other than canvas or vinyl.

·
Arceerider
674 Posts
Picked one up last night, so my review will be in two parts.

Part one: Initial quality, purchase, and installation.

Compared to other tank bags I've bought this thing was expensive. At $100 you get a well made bag, but at that price point there are other bags that are just as good (Nelson Rigg), and come in more sizes.

All the seams are tight with no loose threads. The mounting clips appear to be durable and have a quality look to them, but the mounting bracket is a cheap pliable metal incased in rubber. If the rubber gets damaged there is no doubt in my mind that rust will attack that bracket fast. I found the zipper had a nice feature that made it most hidden when zipped up. It is a small bag with a sparse compartment, and no dividers. The zippers are stiff and not easy to use, but that is common, and with time I hope they will loosen up. There is this one zipper on the bottom that creates a compartment between the tank and the bag, but it is an awkward compartment. Its awkwardness leads me to believe that it might have a purpose that I'm unaware of. The map holder is small, and I'm hoping the new GPS I'm getting will fit in it (more on that later).

Like anything on the Spyder you need to remove a number of panels to install anything, and that is what it is. The instructions were simple and concise, but lacked some steps. At the steering head there is a rubber cover to hide wires, bolts, etc. and the bracket will not line up with the mounting holes if you place in on top of the cover. You can't put it under the cover because of the mounting tabs, so that means you have to cut slots for the tabs in the cover. Once you make those slots then the mounting bolts will line up, but another issue pops up. The rubber cover wraps around the backbone, and with the bracket installed those returns push the center backbone panel up. With the backbone panel pushed up you will find that the upper side panels miss the back bone tabs and flap around at the seam more then usual. To remedy this simply cut the rubber wrap arounds off and everything will line up again. Since this was a factory designed item, these modifications should have been noted in the instructions, or a new modified rubber cover should have been supplied.

Part two: Performance

This will added later.

·
Arceerider
674 Posts
There are many aftermarket tank bags that are weather proof though they aren't really made for the Spyder. I have yet to see one that is lockable. I think that is mostly left to the saddlebags or tailbags as they are more apt to be made out of something other than canvas or vinyl.
Many "weather proof" bags are not completely weather proof, but as part of the kit you get shower cap to put on them to keep the wet out. It would be nice if BRP offered that cap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a Spyder tank bag. I liked the way it fit, but it is NOT waterproof, as I discovered the hard way. Have gotten a new RKA bag that does tip a little from side to side, but does have a rain bonnet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Bought the tank bag without ever seeing one. It was way too small for me as I was used to years of motorcycle tank bags that have a much bigger volume. Sold it to dltang. Put some straps on the Spyder for my other large tank bag. Now that I have my trailer, I doubt I woud ever use it unless I was in an area where there were lots of toll booths and even then I would probably let my copilot (wife) deal with the toll money. Ryde Safe and Enjoy

sabunim5

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have several models of tankbags wich will give a different option on what is out there. As you all know since the Spyder is plastic the tankbags you will see out there need straps that install under the seat or on the haddlebars wich can be hard to install and even look awkword...The Tankbags we hold are different, they use suction cups (not the cheap ones) to hold down the plate that will sit the tankbag. The suction cups come with a tool to remove all the air so they can lock tight. Hey and why not put a set of hand muffs, the cold weather is comming soon, so keep your hands warm.
More details pictures of the SuctionCup plate and bags are gowing to be available soon on the web site!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I love the tank bag - couldn't do without it and it looks like it belongs on there - for black and silver at least. I keep my keys, wallet, deck keycard, hat, gloves and misc. junk in there and like the easy access.

Definitely not waterproof but if it gets wet I just undo the clips and lay it back over the seat so the wet underside is not in contact w/ the paint overnight.

As VBSpyder noted things do not line up as they should so you have to cut some of the rubber cover, etc. That should be updated on install sheet or better yet corrected in production.

It is pricey but unlike many of the over-priced BRP accessories I'd say it's worth the money if you want a factory look w/ some good usability.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts