Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 GS with 5000+ miles on it, and I'm the second owner. From day one I've either had a gremlin or consistent hallucinations.

When riding with the engine at consistent RPMs, in any gear but I'm usually in 3, 4 or 5 depending on traffic, I can feel a gentle difference in speed, as if someone has grabbed the back of the bike, pulled backwards on it just a little bit, then releases it. There is no regular frequency, and I can't tie it to any specific set of conditions.

As I said, the engine RPMS and apparent road speed remain constant.

I've done the test for the purge valve, as shown on Lamonster's video at
, but saw no change.

Local shop finds nothing, all software updates are installed and there are no problems with the drive system that they can find. I can't afford to have them keep it until they find the problem.

One last thought - after releasing my parking brake, if I manually push the bike backwards, I get a slight squeal - is that normal? Possible tie-in with the dragging?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The squeal and slight surge are both normal but also unrelated.
The surge is the fuel system trying to run a 14.7 AFR at cruise, slight throttle opening, and at idle. This is done for both emissions and fuel economy (fuel economy on a Spyder...haha).
My 2012 would do the same. Some machines and some riders notice it more. My best friend has a 2011 and he said his doesnt do it, but after swapping machines for a ride, I could feel it same as mine. It doesn't hurt anything.
My surge went away when I put a pipe and the o2 eliminator on.
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes sir! I know a few who ran that way for quite some time with no issues other than a bit loss in fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts