Can Am Spyder Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
First, congrats on getting your beloved machine roadworthy again!

Second, was there any discussion between you and the BRP rep regarding the potentially dangerous control problems you experienced? I would hope to hear BRP is looking for a fix to eliminate such a hazardous steering system failure mode...

Regards,

Mark
Thanks Mark. It did feel really good to get it back on the road again. We took it for a 100 mile ride after the sun went down and everything was perfect. The steering seemed more responsive and smoother at low sppeds and it tracked stright as an arrow at high speeds. I can't wait to get the Corbin seat on next.

Yes there was detailed dissucssion about the symptoms I experienced as well as speed, road conditons ect. It was interesting to both of us that what I experienced happend at speeds 65-70 mph at frist and then at all speeds with no codes being thrown. The DPS is to aid in steering at speeds of 35mph or less only and is not active above those speeds as I understand it. The DPS will be disassmebled to determine the cause of the failure. When that is determined then some sort of corrective action can be implemented. To fix something you first have to understand the problem, what caused it and if it is an isolated incident or not. No matter how good a system is, it can fail. After spending a good deal of time on the phone and talking in person to the Rep. I feel that BRP is taking this serously and will take whatever action is needed. It's in everyones best interest.

Bryan

·
Registered
304 Posts
The DPS is to aid in steering at speeds of 35mph or less only and is not active above those speeds as I understand it.
You've introduced a new wrinkle here. This is apparantly one of the failsafes BRP designed into the system to mitigate potential problems with the DPS. The Spyder's engineers did exactly as I would have by limiting DPS to low speeds. Limiting the DPS to low speeds reduces the potential harm of a system malfunction because a loss of vehicle control is much less likely at lower speeds. Additionally, at higher speeds you don't want the steering to be as sensitive anyway. In your case, however, this failsafe ALSO malfunctioned; your DPS was operating above 35 mph. In my mind, this failure sheds new light on the common report of overly sensitive steering at highway speed by new riders...

I have no doubt BRP can determine what caused the problem and devise a repair for the system so it functions properly -- indeed, they've already done so for your machine. But repairing the system does little to restore my faith if the system is to retain a failure mode which can so drastically affect directional control.

I realize I'm coming across here as very gloomy, but the potential for serious harm to someone in our small on-line community is very real. I believe everyone of us needs to understand the serious nature of this issue and take the appropriate precautions.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mark.
I agree with the potential serious harm, but I have no idea as to "appropriate precaution."

Can you help me out here??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mark.
I agree with the potential serious harm, but I have no idea as to "appropriate precaution."

Mark can answer for himself, but in my mind "appropriate precaution" could be anything from keeping speeds below what a reasonable person feels steering "issues" make riding unsafe to keeping the bike in the garage until BRP reports their finding/fixes.

Like anything, it's a risk assessment- how much risk can you personally assume before you get uncomfortable?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mark,

Each of us has to evaluate our skills and experience and determine how much risk we are willing to assume. If you have a great deal of riding experience and feel you can maintain a CONSTANT level of attention/concentration and have the physical strength/reflexes necessary to safely handle a steering malfunction, then go ride and have fun -- carefully.

If, however, you are an inexperienced rider, and/or you feel you may not have the required attention span or lack the physical requirements, you may wish to stay off the roads requiring technical skills, limit your riding to slower speeds, avoid areas with heavy traffic or park your Spyder until we get a response from BRP.

For my part, I consider myself a very experienced rider and operator of all types of high tech equipment/vehicles/machinery (30+ years on bikes, four-wheelers, PWC, driving/operating big rigs, tractors, heavy equipment, engaging in racing, piloting fixed-wing aircraft and rotorcraft, etc, etc) with judgement earned the hard way -- by surviving many years of stupid mistakes. I'll still ride our Spyder, but I'll certainly carefully consider any decision to take a spirited ride (twisties at speed) if I don't feel fully rested. My wife, on the other hand, is NOT a good candidate for any road with twisties and/or high-volume traffic as her lack of experience leaves her bereft of (what I consider to be) the essential skill, judgement and physical attributes necessary to deal with what will most surely be a disorienting and confusing situation. My hat's off to those who've experienced this problem and lived to tell the tale.

I've suggested on this forum in the past if we all make inquiries at our dealers and directly with BRP regarding this issue it might go up the priority list and get resolved more quickly. But that would require many of us to follow thru, and so far I haven't seen a great deal of concern among the membership -- yet. I'd hate to see someone get hurt before this problem gets the attention I believe it deserves...

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think the main reason you don't see much concern is a total lack of any real hard evidence of what happened.

One guy says he saw a Spyder turn the wheels on it's own, then another guy claims his Spyder steered itself, others claim it isn't possible, and even after you raised a ruckus and asked for more explanation of what exactly has happened, I've never actually seen anyone come back and explain in detail what did or didn't happen with their steering.

Maybe I'm careless, but I haven't read one thing in this thread that convinces me there is a reason to be scared of my Spyder steering me into the other lane.

Maybe if we got some detailed reports of what has happened and what dealers have found out, then I would know if I should be scared or not, but as it stands I'm more worried about my brakes starting to squeel again than my DPS putting me in the wrong lane....

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I just bet most people here aren't willing to quit riding based on a whole bunch of speculation about something that seems to me wouldn't have passed testing stages as a possibility.

I totally agree with you that it could be very bad if it were true, I just see no reason to believe that it is.

·
Registered
297 Posts
BRP didn't invent electronic power steering.....it's being used more and more thoughout the automotive industry. There are failsafes built into these systems. Don't go picking on the Spyder when there are all kinds of vehicles using similar technology!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't go picking on the Spyder when there are all kinds of vehicles using similar technology!
This thread is not about electric power steering systems in general, rather it's about BRP's IMPLEMENTATION of such a system. In my estimation, a steering/control malfunction would likely prove much more problematic with the Spyder than with just about any other vehicle I can think of which employs an electric power assisted steering system.

Regards,

Mark

·
Roadkill
142 Posts
This thread is not about electric power steering systems in general...
+Then it's understood that you can't steer clear of lane-wide glycol spills...

Ride on.
Roadkill

·
Registered
301 Posts
It one could prove and document this issue, then they could report same to NHTSA and BRP formally. That is what NHTSA is about-saving lives. Either manufacturer voluntarily makes a recall or NHTSA forces them.

Theory and talk by someone mean little - the person that does something, the right thing, means everything.

In this thread I read only one case, could be more, that seems to have facts that would withstand scrutiny. Additional testimonies would help the case, if there is a case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm also experiencing DPS issues.
As I knock on the door of 16k miles, I started having issues around 4k miles ago and I'm holding out as long as possible before leaving my ride with the dealer.
My Spyder is not lurching in to other lanes or making other movements on its own. Just want to be clear that this is not my experience.

My experience is what seems like the DPS cutting in and out with out any consistent behavior. It was very random at first and now I'm surprised when it actually works. The classic symptom is moving in slow traffic or weaving in a parking lot. The steering will be very stiff - then suddenly become very loose and require no effort to pull on the bar. When this happens I have to instantly correct my pull on the bar so as not to over steer my turn.

I know its just getting worse because now when I'm in traffic and negotiate some tight turns (using all my strength) the battery light comes on and sometimes I'll even get "low voltage" scrolling on my display. The battery light and error wont come on until I'm at the end of my ride and that seems to confirm what was reported earlier in this thread about the DPS possibly heating up.

Going to the dealer this Saturday to get the ball rolling on diagnostics.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm also experiencing DPS issues.
As I knock on the door of 16k miles, I started having issues around 4k miles ago and I'm holding out as long as possible before leaving my ride with the dealer.
My Spyder is not lurching in to other lanes or making other movements on its own. Just want to be clear that this is not my experience.

My experience is what seems like the DPS cutting in and out with out any consistent behavior. It was very random at first and now I'm surprised when it actually works. The classic symptom is moving in slow traffic or weaving in a parking lot. The steering will be very stiff - then suddenly become very loose and require no effort to pull on the bar. When this happens I have to instantly correct my pull on the bar so as not to over steer my turn.

I know its just getting worse because now when I'm in traffic and negotiate some tight turns (using all my strength) the battery light comes on and sometimes I'll even get "low voltage" scrolling on my display. The battery light and error wont come on until I'm at the end of my ride and that seems to confirm what was reported earlier in this thread about the DPS possibly heating up.

Going to the dealer this Saturday to get the ball rolling on diagnostics.
Yep get it to the dealer and have them check the current drain on the DPS. It sounds like the way mine acted and since the DPs was replaced I think it works better than it ever did.
Bryan

·
Registered
58 Posts
It seems so odd that this huge current draw is not triggering any type of error or at least not blowing the fuse!!! I thought the can-bus system is supposed to recognize load changes and throw up a code or check engine light.

Yep get it to the dealer and have them check the current drain on the DPS. It sounds like the way mine acted and since the DPs was replaced I think it works better than it ever did.
Bryan

·
Registered
176 Posts
It seems so odd that this huge current draw is not triggering any type of error or at least not blowing the fuse!!! I thought the can-bus system is supposed to recognize load changes and throw up a code or check engine light.
I don't know the details of the test that BRP had the tech do except that under those specific conditions the current was very high. I understand that the DPS can draw high currents when it is assisting with steering at low speeds and that is perfectly normal. I would guess that the DPS draws considerably more current when you crank the handlebars to the side in a slow turn than when your are going in a straight line. It's possible that the current did not exceed the maximum operating current so it did not throw a code or blow a fuse. I doubt the ECU is programed to look at the current drain for each system under all conditions for a fault. I do know that in my case the DPS was active at high speed. The DPS is suppose to be disabled above 35 mph and that could easily be detected by the ECU if programed to do so.

Bryan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Today on early this A.M......I witness this problem that others have been reporting for the first time!! I not sure why it happened are started but today it did. It was a cold morning here for the first time in VA bEACH around 42F and i was on my way to work on the interstate doing about 70 when I started to feel a little tugging sensation in the steering. I assumed it was uneven road so a proceeded to change lanes. I went to the HOV lane so that I can steer clear of most traffic( or so I thought) about 5 miles later My spyder out of no where sharply started pulling me into the next lane!!!!
I have to admit it shook me for a bit. I had to muscle it a little to get back on track. it felt like Once I began to counter steer It released. The steering seemed very unstable. It had me nervous to take my normal turns like I do because I was unsure when it was going to happen again? I am wondering if the cold had anything to do with it?It was almost like it was locked in for a split second. I cant explain how unsafe I felt after that, and to top it off it happened just moments later just not as demanding. Horrible!!! I will be taking it to the dealer ASAP! Too many more of these occurrences and I will be selling the spyder just as fast as I can say its name. I mean its a nice ride but not better then my life!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Today on early this A.M......I witness this problem that others have been reporting for the first time!! I not sure why it happened are started but today it did. It was a cold morning here for the first time in VA bEACH around 42F and i was on my way to work on the interstate doing about 70 when I started to feel a little tugging sensation in the steering. I assumed it was uneven road so a proceeded to change lanes. I went to the HOV lane so that I can steer clear of most traffic( or so I thought) about 5 miles later My spyder out of no where sharply started pulling me into the next lane!!!!
I have to admit it shook me for a bit. I had to muscle it a little to get back on track. it felt like Once I began to counter steer It released. The steering seemed very unstable. It had me nervous to take my normal turns like I do because I was unsure when it was going to happen again? I am wondering if the cold had anything to do with it?It was almost like it was locked in for a split second. I cant explain how unsafe I felt after that, and to top it off it happened just moments later just not as demanding. Horrible!!! I will be taking it to the dealer ASAP! Too many more of these occurrences and I will be selling the spyder just as fast as I can say its name. I mean its a nice ride but not better then my life!
This is getting downright scary! I'm supposed to be traveling Saturday to go pick up my SM5 and trailer it back. This definitely has me thinking against it now

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is pretty scary. What if anything is BRP doing to address this. I don't own a spyder yet but this is giving me serious pause. I would love to hear from people who had these issues and if they were resolved to their satisfaction.

·
Registered
176 Posts
this is pretty scary. What if anything is BRP doing to address this. I don't own a spyder yet but this is giving me serious pause. I would love to hear from people who had these issues and if they were resolved to their satisfaction.
I've put on about 1000 miles since the DPS was replace on #PE452 and it is working perfectly. If you are experiencing steering issues please see your dealer ASAP!

Bryan

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've put on about 1000 miles since the DPS was replace on #PE452 and it is working perfectly. If you are experiencing steering issues please see your dealer ASAP!

Bryan
I'm glad they fixed your issues but I think contacting your dealer after the fact is a bit late. Obviously there is an issue here, serious enough to warrant more than just calling your dealer after the fact. Think about it, somebody could be driving down the highway or in to a corner and the bike all of a sudden gets harder to steer or the steering jumps (as whats been reported) and instantly you are in the opposing lane! That's way more of a problem than simply taking it to the dealer. This could cost someone their life!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm glad they fixed your issues but I think contacting your dealer after the fact is a bit late. Obviously there is an issue here, serious enough to warrant more than just calling your dealer after the fact. Think about it, somebody could be driving down the highway or in to a corner and the bike all of a sudden gets harder to steer or the steering jumps (as whats been reported) and instantly you are in the opposing lane! That's way more of a problem than simply taking it to the dealer. This could cost someone their life!
The Spyder isn't the only on road vehicle that uses an electronic power steering system. Lots of cars nowadays also have these systems, so any one of them could also have a similar potential problem.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts