Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to test ride and buy a used spyder, and found at low speeds the computer took over the steering for 1 second, which slightly changed the direction i was going by like 2 inches on the road at 20 mph. I this normal with spyders? It did it three times in a 15 min low speed ride, i never got to take it to say 70 mph - nor would i like to if spyders are like this - the 2 inches on the road would for sure turn into way more inches as speed increases. Can someone with a spyder tell me that they experience this or not? Thanks for the feedback.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
went to test ride and buy a used spyder, and found at low speeds the computer took over the steering for 1 second, which slightly changed the direction i was going by like 2 inches on the road at 20 mph. I this normal with spyders? It did it three times in a 15 min low speed ride, i never got to take it to say 70 mph - nor would i like to if spyders are like this - the 2 inches on the road would for sure turn into way more inches as speed increases. Can someone with a spyder tell me that they experience this or not? Thanks for the feedback.
to Spyder Talk

Was this your first experience at riding a Spyer ?

All Spyders do have a power assisted system, but the computer does not "take over control", more likely you are just new to the Spyder and need a bit more time to adjust to it. At lower speeds there is more power assist with the steering than at higher speeds/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to Spyder Talk

Was this your first experience at riding a Spyer ?

All Spyders do have a power assisted system, but the computer does not "take over control", more likely you are just new to the Spyder and need a bit more time to adjust to it. At lower speeds there is more power assist with the steering than at higher speeds/
Yes this was my first riding experience on the spyder, however i have lots of experience on motorcycles and racing atvs.
So what you are saying is that when you drive your spyder at no time does the computer change the direction of the tires at all? i was going in a straight line and the tires twitched, does your spyder do this?
thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes this was my first riding experience on the spyder, however i have lots of experience on motorcycles and racing atvs.
So what you are saying is that when you drive your spyder at no time does the computer change the direction of the tires at all? i was going in a straight line and the tires twitched, does your spyder do this?
thanks for your help!
looks like other people are not having this problem so 15000 for a spyder with a hindle and 250 miles is not a good deal after all, if it needs to go back to the shop for warranty steering fix. Do you agree?

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
thanks for your help!
No the computer does not change the direction of a Spyder, no matter what the speed. The issue you experienced could be caused by tire pressure, wheel alignment/balancing, road surface, the steering unit having an issue, or something else. Did you ask the owner about this issue, have they experienced it ?

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
looks like other people are not having this problem so 15000 for a spyder with a hindle and 250 miles is not a good deal after all, if it needs to go back to the shop for warranty steering fix. Do you agree?
No I don't agree, the price is a good deal, and you really don't know for sure there is a problem yet, how may miles did your test ride involve, did you try it on surface streets, freeway, or rural roads. Was the road surface you had the issue on the only raod you tested it on. To many variables to say if this Spyder is a good deal or not in my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My steering started acting different on today's ride. I first noticed that trying to make small corrections while going straight required more effort on the handlebars almost like the steering was sticking. With a little more pressure the handlebars would jump in the direction of the correction. My wife thought I was trying to avoid something in the road. As we continued this symptom got progressively worse and in a gradual turn the steering would stick and require more effort to come out of the turn and when it would jump cause an overcorrection. It's going to the shop next week as I don't feel safe riding it now. In a tight turn at higher speed this overcorrection could cause loss of control. I'm a very experienced ride and I've ridden the Spyder for about 5000 miles now so I know what it should feel like and this was not what I was use to.

Bryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No the computer does not change the direction of a Spyder, no matter what the speed. The issue you experienced could be caused by tire pressure, wheel alignment/balancing, road surface, the steering unit having an issue, or something else. Did you ask the owner about this issue, have they experienced it ?
yes after i drove it i asked the owner if he felt anything like this he said no.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My steering started acting different on today's ride. I first noticed that trying to make small corrections while going straight required more effort on the handlebars almost like the steering was sticking. With a little more pressure the handlebars would jump in the direction of the correction. My wife thought I was trying to avoid something in the road. As we continued this symptom got progressively worse and in a gradual turn the steering would stick and require more effort to come out of the turn and when it would jump cause an overcorrection. It's going to the shop next week as I don't feel safe riding it now. In a tight turn at higher speed this overcorrection could cause loss of control. I'm a very experienced ride and I've ridden the Spyder for about 5000 miles now so I know what it should feel like and this was not what I was use to.

Bryan
Bryan/araneae - That sounds like the power steering on your Spyder has a problem. A few have had issues, all covered by warranty. Next trip should be to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Bryan
thank you 5000 miles and it just started doing this - hey when it first made a small correction i bet it suprised you, i kind of ignored the first one but the second time i did not like it at all. i just pictured my self without the wife on the back ripping a fast corner on a road having it do the same thing - not good.

other than that one problem i would have without a doubt bought the spyder - my wife wants one soo bad.
love to know what happens to yours - if it turns out to be a electronic box - thats good off you go right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
thank you 5000 miles and it just started doing this - hey when it first made a small correction i bet it suprised you, i kind of ignored the first one but the second time i did not like it at all. i just pictured my self without the wife on the back ripping a fast corner on a road having it do the same thing - not good.

other than that one problem i would have without a doubt bought the spyder - my wife wants one soo bad.
love to know what happens to yours - if it turns out to be a electronic box - thats good off you go right?
Yes it was a bit of a surprise. I found myself using extra firm control and paying very close attention to what was ahead. It feels like a problem with the power assist unit but could be just a matter of adjustment. The dealer will take are of it and I will post the outcome.

Bryan

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
As I understood, and could very well be wrong. The power steering is only suppose to enable at lower speeds. Has anyone else read or heard this? [codebox]big bird[/codebox]

·
Registered
304 Posts
... found at low speeds the computer took over the steering for 1 second...
The Spyder's Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) cannot turn the handlebars -- like your car's power steering system, it can only amplify your inputs. I suspect the DPS on the Spyder you were riding is malfunctioning.

There is, in fact, no system on the Spyder capable of controlling the handlebars (except, of course, the rider). The only system(s) capable of overriding the riders control inputs is the Vehicle Stability System (VSS). The VSS is actually several different safety systems working in tandem to prevent a roll over or other loss of control.

From the Spyder Operator's Guide Page 26:

The Spyder roadster is equipped with a Vehicle Stability System (VSS). VSS can help you control the direction of the vehicle and reduce the risk of tipping or rolling over in some situations.

VSS consists of:
  • an Antilock Braking System(ABS) that helps maintain steering control during hard braking by preventing the wheels from locking.
  • a Traction Control System (TCS) that helps prevent the rear wheel from slipping. The TCS will limit rear wheel spin only if you turn the handlebars (steer out of straight line) or if vehicle speed exceeds 50 km/h (31MPH).
  • a Stability Control System (SCS) is designed to limit the power driving the rear tire and to brake individual wheels, which reduces the risk of losing control of the vehicle or rolling over.
The SOG also mentions Electronic Brake Distribution which is supposed to "automatically adjust the brake balance batween all three wheels." Since the ABS prevents the wheels from locking up at each of the three wheels anyway, I suspect the EBD is more marketing than anything else.

As others have noted, if your DPS is malfunctioning you should take your Spyder directly to the dealer. If the problem is intermittent now, it is only a matter of time before it fails completely rendering your machine unusable. Better to take it to the dealer for a fix before that happens.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
911 Posts
The Spyder's Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) cannot turn the handlebars -- like your car's power steering system, it can only amplify your inputs. I suspect the DPS on the Spyder you were riding is malfunctioning...
the spyder's power steering is different than most automotive systems in that it uses a sensor and an electric motor (as opposed to a hydraulic pump). i know of at least one case where the power steering did actually turn the wheels. if i remeber correctly, when the key was turned on, the wheels would automatically turn to the right and it it took a lot of effort to bring them straight ahead. my guess is that the steering angle sensor is misaligned (or bad) and thinks the rider is trying to turn.

·
Arceerider
674 Posts
the spyder's power steering is different than most automotive systems in that it uses a sensor and an electric motor (as opposed to a hydraulic pump). i know of at least one case where the power steering did actually turn the wheels. if i remeber correctly, when the key was turned on, the wheels would automatically turn to the right and it it took a lot of effort to bring them straight ahead. my guess is that the steering angle sensor is misaligned (or bad) and thinks the rider is trying to turn.
Was there a 53 painted on the hood?

This is scary...

please refer to:

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6553

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not sure what parts of the system the "passenger sensor switch" is connected to, but it probably impacts the "Electronic Braking Distribution" due to the additional weight in the back. It probably also affects other parts of the VSS as it senses the aded weight.

·
Registered
304 Posts
...i know of at least one case where the power steering did actually turn the wheels. if i remeber correctly, when the key was turned on, the wheels would automatically turn to the right and it it took a lot of effort to bring them straight ahead.
OK, I gotta hear the whole story now...

Did the computer report a DPS failure before engine start, or did it fail in use (during a ride)? My understanding is the DPS self-tests prior to engine start (just like every other Spyder system). In the event of a DPS system fault, it's supposed to report the problem on the display and disable the DPS. If I recall correctly, the Spyder won't even start if the computer detects a DPS fault...

If I understand correctly, what you're saying is the DPS can fail in such a way that the steering/handle bars will move independent of rider inputs -- that's beyond scary! I would be stupefied to learn that BRP didn't design a "fail safe" power steering system on a machine capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph. In my mind, this would be an oversight of colossal proportions, especially considering the obvious emphasis (time/money) BRP has placed on engineering safety into this machine. Imagine the resulting lawsuit should someone be injured following an uncommanded turn! How can BRP have possibly gotten liability insurance for such an inherently unsafe system?

Needless to say, I'm very disturbed...

There are a number of electric power steering systems from several different manufacturers in use today. To date, other than this report, I've never heard of ANY such system failing in a way that could compromise vehicle control. Ken, please share the rest of this story with us!

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm not sure what parts of the system the "passenger sensor switch" is connected to, but it probably impacts the "Electronic Braking Distribution" due to the additional weight in the back. It probably also affects other parts of the VSS as it senses the aded weight.
My comment about the EBD merely points out that such a system is a bit redundant with an ABS installation. ABS prevents ANY wheel from locking up, and so, in a way, is essentially self balancing. Of course, having the ABS constantly cycling on only one wheel would be a bit annoying, so I'm sure there is some type of scheme to balance braking pressure between the front and rear (there are two different master cylinders after all).

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
297 Posts
My comment about the EBD merely points out that such a system is a bit redundant with an ABS installation. ABS prevents ANY wheel from locking up, and so, in a way, is essentially self balancing. Of course, having the ABS constantly cycling on only one wheel would be a bit annoying, so I'm sure there is some type of scheme to balance braking pressure between the front and rear (there are two different master cylinders after all).

Regards,

Mark
If you add in the yaw sensor I think you'll stay in a straight line, even if you have one wheel on a gravel shoulder.....haven't tried it on my Spyder but it works great in my car! (also a Bosch system)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Or maybe the Spyder was "Christine II"

1 - 20 of 71 Posts