Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly directed at those who are riding a spyder now.

What are you doing about servicing and maintenance??

Dealership or self maintenance?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The dealer wanted and tried 3 times to sell me a pre-paid main service but I refused. According to the owners book, you can change the oil and filter but the first 625 mile check should be done at the dealer and also the 20k.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The dealer wanted and tried 3 times to sell me a pre-paid main service but I refused. According to the owners book, you can change the oil and filter but the first 625 mile check should be done at the dealer and also the 20k.
and your supposed to have the valve adj checked that cant be cheap, or recomended to do your self
if not probably void warranty

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Runeatic,
Please tell us the price tag for the pre paid program.....and what it includes and does not include.

D-bird,
? Service calls?

Phil,
8 valves , got the specs?, and how to check? we would all appreciate.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Runeatic,
Please tell us the price tag for the pre paid program.....and what it includes and does not include.

D-bird,
? Service calls?

Phil,
8 valves , got the specs?, and how to check? we would all appreciate.
i wish ..hopefully some one gets a repair manuel and tells us...wonder what the price of
repair manuel is $$ guess ill check if i get mine in sept nov. oop's this year ?brp might not like posting there book here

·
Registered
911 Posts
i would imagine the specs are the same as the aprilias. if it makes you feel any better, i've been working on aprilia since 2000 and i've never had to make an adjustment during the first service (600 miles). the next valve check is at 9300 miles and i've probably changed out a total of three shims. these motors are very good at holding to spec. we have a few customers that have well over 50k miles and the bikes still run very strong (and remember, these motors are very detuned in comparison to the mille motor).

·
Registered
314 Posts
i would imagine the specs are the same as the aprilias. if it makes you feel any better, i've been working on aprilia since 2000 and i've never had to make an adjustment during the first service (600 miles). the next valve check is at 9300 miles and i've probably changed out a total of three shims. these motors are very good at holding to spec. we have a few customers that have well over 50k miles and the bikes still run very strong (and remember, these motors are very detuned in comparison to the mille motor).
great that we have a rotax gearhead .happy to hear your info on how too,as soon as we find spec's

just wonder if doing it your self would void warranty?..i'am a automatic transmission tech(retired)
so i would feel confident on by abilities to do it myself..have wrenched on lots of different toys through the years

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The powerplant is indeed very race proven......
How difficult is it to check the valve clearances?
What's all involved to adjust to spec clearance?

·
Registered
708 Posts
The powerplant is indeed very race proven......
How difficult is it to check the valve clearances?
What's all involved to adjust to spec clearance?
Both are difficult questions to answer without going into some detail. I've worked on the Rotax 800 and can't imagine the design being that different from the 990.
If you can obtain a shop manual, have a little nerve the first time and about 2 hours, it can be done. Once you've done it, the next time if ever will be a breeze.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NVR2L8
I just want to know if i will be dealing with lock nuts or shim under bucket.
Looks like the present day 800 is lock nuts.

The media compares the powerplant to that of aprilia's mille.
Just want to know what i am getting myself into.

Guess which one i do not like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Evoluzione
Ken,
I agree with what you have experienced ( 0 miles to 50k)

I am wondering what valve train changes have happened from 2003 to present.

·
Registered
152 Posts
NVR2L8
I just want to know if i will be dealing with lock nuts or shim under bucket.
Looks like the present day 800 is lock nuts.

The media compares the powerplant to that of aprilia's mille.
Just want to know what i am getting myself into.

Guess which one i do not like.
The rotax990 uses shim under bucket

·
Registered
146 Posts
I never did get the price on the prepaid maintenance and I will shop the price for the first service but I would imagine the labor time is in their shop guide but hourly rates vary.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The spyder has a motorcycle engine. Why do you think it would have any other maintenance agreement different from any other motorcycle mfg? I think the whole problem here is the potential spyder riders are not motorcyclists.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Runeatic,

Valve inspection on a shim under bucket, the hardest part is removing the valve covers and all the associated plumbing to access the valve covers.

Now, changing out shims involves removing the cams and in some vehicles chain tensioners that can be fun just to get to.

Doing the valve INSPECTION and doing the valve ADJUSTMENTS .........bit of a difference, sort of plays to ones comfort level.

Mrfix,
Thanks for the info!

I have had no luck getting a spyder shop manual.

I can however get an aprilia v990 manual.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Runeatic,

Valve inspection on a shim under bucket, the hardest part is removing the valve covers and all the associated plumbing to access the valve covers.

Now, changing out shims involves removing the cams and in some vehicles chain tensioners that can be fun just to get to.

Doing the valve INSPECTION and doing the valve ADJUSTMENTS .........bit of a difference, sort of plays to ones comfort level.
so i guess if i just got to inspect them ..put ear close: listen: sounds good... ,inspection done!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
so i guess if i just got to inspect them ..put ear close: listen: sounds good... ,inspection done!!
Not quite Phil, they tighten up and get quiet over time. The valves seat further into the head as the miles add up and close up the clearence between the cam and the bucket, the harder you ride the bike the faster they pound themselves up there. It's rare to need to make a shim change on the first check but it can happen so you should check. The second check is where the change usually needs to happen then they'll be good for many miles but should be checked at the recommended intervals.
Congrats on your delivery

1 - 19 of 19 Posts