Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I drove up to my dealer in Tampa today to see if I could find out the real skinny on delivery of my pre-order. The following are facts and not suppositions on my part. My dealer has 5 stores and he works at the biggest one in Tampa. He has 18 total pre-orders at his store, of which 2 or 3 will go south on him. Some of his stores wrote NO preorders but have allocations coming to them anyway. He believes that all the pre-orders will be filled from the first shipment. Although he likes the Spyder a lot he does not seem excited about the product. They don't seem to be pumped maybe its the weather. I am Number 14 on his list (which is a crumpled up piece of paper in his pocket - it seems to work for him) so we'll see how it shakes out in a week or so. I have been showing off pics of the Spyder to all my friends and lots of others. I have yet to show them to anybody who already knew about the Spyder. It was all new to them. Several are pretty serious Harley dudes. People who like bikes and such. Anyway I just get the feeling that this introduction is nothing like the iphone. I really believe that Can-Am has done a poor job of promoting the introduction of the Spyder or it is just not getting the desired interest level. Naturally those of us on the boards here are all excited by this new product but maybe (just maybe) the rest of the world is not of like mind. I really hope that I am wrong. Dead wrong. but we will know all shortly. I got an iphone the day after the big hype day when everyone in line was buying 2 of them because Apple claimed that is the max to one person. I just walked into the Michigan ave store in downtown Chicago and got one in 2 minutes. There were hundreds on ebay at big money on that Friday and by Monday the prices were all down to normal and all those greedy people just wanted to bail out and get their money back. It looks to me that the Can-Am Spyder is not going to be anything like Halo-3. Is the demand for the Spyder there or not. If not it is only because not enough people know about it. Maybe that's why a lot of us got the marketing phone call in the last few weeks from Can-Am. You would think that Can-Am would time this thing with the Biketoberfest in a big way. FREE ADVERTISING. But no - they are literally delivering the new Spyders during the event. Doesn't make sense. If it were me - I would have sent loads of Spyders to the southern states and especially to Florida. I would hope that all those new owners would go to Biketoberfest to show off their new purchase. We are talking about a few weeks of timing done very poorly by the company. The whole deal is just creeping me out. On the other hand maybe I'm just thinking about this too much. I have to say that I was quite happy with the quality of this dealer. They seem dead honest and forthcoming in their sales approach. No FlimFam stuff. Perhaps today was just an off day for them. I'm glad to be their customer and I feel everything will be on the up and up there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
WOW try not to take offense ot this but...
I experienced just the opposite at the same dealer. Yes the numbers you quote are pretty much what I was told. At least we are getting a straight story. I also was there inquiring of my order recently, and everyone I talked to was somewhat if not very excited about the Spyder. I even listened to 3 or 4 stories about thier experiences during the test drives as well as a couple of the spouses. There was even some commotion when one of the Spyder posters was being moved. The guys in the back were throwing a fit, it was quite comical. I have only been to the shop a few times but each time I was treated well.

And why is having a crumpled up piece of paper in his pocket a big deal? At least he had the info right at hand. I have a feeling he would have been criticized if he had to go look for it. He happened to take me in the office and show me a copy in a notebook that was like new. I guess he knows how to make copies for work purposes.

As far as Can-Am promoting the product I can't say much. I only accidentally found out about it through an Internet search for trikes. I know 5-6 guys that are big into bikes and none of them have heard of it. Since hanging a picture on my office wall I have got nothing but wows and holy s&%$ from people, and everyone wants to check it out as soon as I get it.

BTW they do have a test ride event planned for Biketoberfest which I registered for in case mine isn't here yet. I would imagine there will be plenty of them rolling around during the weekend. Although a couple hundred more couldn't hurt that's for sure.

Comparing a $15k niche specialty vehicle like the Spyder to a cell phone or video game is waaay out there.

I really hope your experience ends up better than you feel it has gone so far, and that this thing really takes off. Maybe I'll see you out there on the street and smiling like you just hit the lotto!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I really think the demand won't grow until these are on the ground running and people find out they can't get one till March-June. My dealer is only getting an allocation of 17 for that time frame and the allocation for Oct was 4 and 2 demos. With the amount of riders increasing daily, this is just going to add more fuel to the fire.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
BRP is on record stating they didn't know exactly what they had on their hands with the Spyder. That's why they went with the "spread the word" approach and Demo rides to gauge interest opposed to an all out ad campaign. I think this is playing out just as they would have hoped...

·
Registered
708 Posts
BRP is on record stating they didn't know exactly what they had on their hands with the Spyder. That's why they went with the "spread the word" approach and Demo rides to gauge interest opposed to an all out ad campaign. I think this is playing out just as they would have hoped...
Agreed,
The possibility also exists that BRP made not be able to meet the demand if they went (all out) with advertising. It appears that just getting geared up for production of the first 2,500 units is proving to be a challenge. My dealer isn't expecting their first shipment to arrive until Oct. 25th and that will be just 4 units.
I was hoping to squeeze in a few weeks of (nice) riding weather before winter set in but at this rate, it will be just plain COLD by the time mine arrives in Nov.

It really would be a pleasant change to have a manufacture deliver a product as predicted, (on-time.) Even early would be acceptable to me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I also registered for a demo ride at Biketoberfest on October 18..in case my Spyder isn't here by then. I actually registered 2x..once with a "private code" sent by email and the second time with one that was mailed to me. When registering, I was told that a confirmation number would be emailed to me within 48 hours. I never received either of them !?? Anyone else have this problem?

Richard

·
Registered
801 Posts
I really think the demand won't grow until these are on the ground running and people find out they can't get one till March-June. My dealer is only getting an allocation of 17 for that time frame and the allocation for Oct was 4 and 2 demos. With the amount of riders increasing daily, this is just going to add more fuel to the fire.
Rune...I think that you nailed it. Given that they are dealing with an extremely limited number of early production models AND that the time of year for the release is not entirely "optimal" riding weather throughout their dealer network, they are being very careful about marketing this item until they get more firmly established. I think it's very wise of them, too. I would expect to start seeing some advertising in newspapers, magazines, and television next spring when the motorcycle market starts heating up again...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree they definetely dont want to get ahead of themselves here can you imagine the amoutn of response there going to get when Jay Leno unveils his? And as for you guys getting them this month id Kill for that unfortunately they didnt advertise them anywhere here in Colorado till June and by that time it was too late for the October Delivery Now I have to wait till feb-march. Oh well by then all the aftermarket stuff should be out and the word.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also registered for a demo ride at Biketoberfest on October 18..in case my Spyder isn't here by then. I actually registered 2x..once with a "private code" sent by email and the second time with one that was mailed to me. When registering, I was told that a confirmation number would be emailed to me within 48 hours. I never received either of them !?? Anyone else have this problem?
Richard
Funny thing I did exactly the same thing and registered twice as you did. I received both confirmation codes though by the following day.

Emails came from "[email protected]"

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Well.. everyone is allowed to have their opinion....

I think your dealing just wasn't to thrilled with having to stock, learn, and support a totally new product line.

Your comparisons to the other products is apples to oranges.....

Buying and i-phone right away was just silly.... no one NEEDS something that bad right away...

When I ordered mine I was told they were up to 2200 sold.

I don't believe that the typical bike rider... in particular Harley guys... are the main target buyer.

I think they will sell the hell outta these.... the marketing is unique... and I'm sure will become more common once we all get out there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really wouldnt care if anyone liked it, thought it was cool or not. Its the perfect machine for another 4 wheel street conversion for me....and that, I am very excited about.

--John

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just checked my dealers website and they have nothing at all about the Spyder. Just the Can Am 4 wheelers and nothing is mentioned. Strange!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts