Can Am Spyder Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 RS-S and I have the same problem. I have about 475mi. I can put my spyder in first gear and release the break and it will go 10-15mph without touching the throttle. I've talked to the dealer and he is aware of the problem and will fix it when I bring it in for the 600mi service. If it is such a wide spread problem why hasn't Can-Am sent out official recalls?

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
I have a 2010 RS-S and I have the same problem. I have about 475mi. I can put my spyder in first gear and release the break and it will go 10-15mph without touching the throttle. I've talked to the dealer and he is aware of the problem and will fix it when I bring it in for the 600mi service. If it is such a wide spread problem why hasn't Can-Am sent out official recalls?
to Spydertalk !

Sorry you are having the issue, but just to keep things in perspective..........it is not a wide spread problem, if it was, I'm sure BRP would take the proper action.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2010 RT-S and at about 150 miles started having the same issue with the centrifugal clutch hanging up. I did find that if you tap the throttle when you feel it starting to hang up it will release. Of course you have to be quick about it and you can't do it while performing a hard break. When mine does lock up and stall it simply restarts, in gear. ?? Thought it was supposed to go to neutral but it just stays in first gear. Another issue I have had, the other day when I came to a stop, the tranny stayed in 4th gear. Stopped fine but did not downshift at all. I had to play with the shifter and the throttle to get it to make its way to 1st gear.

Thanks to everyone for all of the good info on this subject. I will be able to point the dealer to this thread when I take it in for the 600 service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact problem New 2009 purchased may this year 2011 with one mile and is a GS SE5 , has been in the shop already for this issue along with shifting. The clutch issue is back as described by other SE5 owners in this topic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2012 about a month ago. It has about 1200 miles on it and the check transmission light started coming on at 70mph or 5k RPMs on inclines..took it straight to deal and they say clutch plates have gone out they think and about 2 weeks to fix....my question is....this would have to be covered under warranty right? They seem to think it is but just trying to get a feel for what I'm in for.
Thanks folks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems to me that your dealer is an important piece of the puzzle.

The better the dealer, the faster your problem is solved.

As for parts, if a dealer sells 500 units a year, he just might have the parts in store.

Will be carefull to shop at the right place.

Hope they solve your issue!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had an issue with the RT-S SE5, but have waited to post till I felt I had determined what the cause was.

The first sign of a problem was at about 200 miles, again at about 400 miles, and then at 580 miles it became really clear that was an issue with the SE5.

The first two times I hand an issue was when the SE5 down shifted to first gear, the RPM would drop, but not enough to let Spydie come to a complete stop.
I applied the brake and it solved the problem.

At the 580 mile mark, I was in town here and when Spydie shifted down to first, I applied the break and that killed the engine. But then it would not restart,
so I used the 13mm wrench, and manually shifted the transmission into neutral. I called and informed my dealer I would have it back to the shop in a few days.

This happened on the weekend, so during that time I was out in town seeing if I did the down shifting if it would react the same. After may trials, it appeared as
long as I did not rely on the SE5 auto downshifting, there was no issue.

During these events, that was no codes or Icons illuminated on the display, it was as if the computer had no clue there was an issue. When we put it on the computer at
shop there was only two faults/codes, both pointing towards a defective GBPS. After talking with BRP, the decision was to change out the GBPS and see if that solved the issue.

It did for a few days, but at about 95 miles later, the issue was back, but now the RPM's were drooping down to the 1,300 - 1,400 range, but it seemed as if the centrifical clutch
was not disengaging completely. So I called the shop and asked then to check with BRP about having it replaced. The new clutch arrived within two days, so told my dealer I would
be over as soon as I could.

This is the clutch that was replaced.

The part number for the clutch. $ 209.98 MSRP USA

This is about a 2 hour process, as usual, a good percentage of the time is getting access and them replacing the panels.

I had sent an email to Carlos, he called and I gave him the info and will keep him updated if I have any further issues.
Where did you purchase your parts from? Thank you in advance.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts