Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an issue with the RT-S SE5, but have waited to post till I felt I had determined what the cause was.

The first sign of a problem was at about 200 miles, again at about 400 miles, and then at 580 miles it became really clear that was an issue with the SE5.

The first two times I hand an issue was when the SE5 down shifted to first gear, the RPM would drop, but not enough to let Spydie come to a complete stop.
I applied the brake and it solved the problem.

At the 580 mile mark, I was in town here and when Spydie shifted down to first, I applied the break and that killed the engine. But then it would not restart,
so I used the 13mm wrench, and manually shifted the transmission into neutral. I called and informed my dealer I would have it back to the shop in a few days.

This happened on the weekend, so during that time I was out in town seeing if I did the down shifting if it would react the same. After may trials, it appeared as
long as I did not rely on the SE5 auto downshifting, there was no issue.

During these events, that was no codes or Icons illuminated on the display, it was as if the computer had no clue there was an issue. When we put it on the computer at
shop there was only two faults/codes, both pointing towards a defective GBPS. After talking with BRP, the decision was to change out the GBPS and see if that solved the issue.

It did for a few days, but at about 95 miles later, the issue was back, but now the RPM's were drooping down to the 1,300 - 1,400 range, but it seemed as if the centrifical clutch
was not disengaging completely. So I called the shop and asked then to check with BRP about having it replaced. The new clutch arrived within two days, so told my dealer I would
be over as soon as I could.

This is the clutch that was replaced.

The part number for the clutch. $ 209.98 MSRP USA

This is about a 2 hour process, as usual, a good percentage of the time is getting access and them replacing the panels.

I had sent an email to Carlos, he called and I gave him the info and will keep him updated if I have any further issues.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have had an issue with the RT-S SE5, but have waited to post till I felt I had determined what the cause was.

The first sign of a problem was at about 200 miles, again at about 400 miles, and then at 580 miles it became really clear that was an issue with the SE5.

The first two times I hand an issue was when the SE5 down shifted to first gear, the RPM would drop, but not enough to let Spydie come to a complete stop.
I applied the brake and it solved the problem.

At the 580 mile mark, I was in town here and when Spydie shifted down to first, I applied the break and that killed the engine. But then it would not restart,
so I used the 13mm wrench, and manually shifted the transmission into neutral. I called and informed my dealer I would have it back to the shop in a few days.

This happened on the weekend, so during that time I was out in town seeing if I did the down shifting if it would react the same. After may trials, it appeared as
long as I did not rely on the SE5 auto downshifting, there was no issue.

During these events, that was no codes or Icons illuminated on the display, it was as if the computer had no clue there was an issue. When we put it on the computer at
shop there was only two faults/codes, both pointing towards a defective GBPS. After talking with BRP, the decision was to change out the GBPS and see if that solved the issue.

It did for a few days, but at about 95 miles later, the issue was back, but now the RPM's were drooping down to the 1,300 - 1,400 range, but it seemed as if the centrifical clutch
was not disengaging completely. So I called the shop and asked then to check with BRP about having it replaced. The new clutch arrived within two days, so told my dealer I would
be over as soon as I could.

This is about a 2 hour process, as usual, a good percentage of the time is getting access and them replacing the panels.

I had sent an email to Carlos, he called and I gave him the info and will keep him updated if I have any further issues.
Thanks for the info. We don't have anymore than 300km (190 miles) on ours, but will keep an eye out for that issue.

·
Registered
929 Posts
So far this is not a big issue, only a few of us RT-S SE5 owners have had this happen.
Even so, I'm still planing on taking off to San Diego later this week.
If you search around the net there have been about 7 or 8 RT's that this has already happened to that have posted. Based upon the population of Rt's on the road, I'd say its a bit more widespread. The centrifugal rollers are not releasing under certain circumstances, the one I saw apart appeared to have some binding in the ramps (which would mimick everyones symptoms ). The good news is that once this is replaced I do not believe there have been any that have had a re-occurence.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you search around the net there have been about 7 or 8 RT's that this has already happened to that have posted. Based upon the population of Rt's on the road, I'd say its a bit more widespread. The centrifugal rollers are not releasing under certain circumstances, the one I saw apart appeared to have some binding in the ramps (which would mimick everyones symptoms ). The good news is that once this is replaced I do not believe there have been any that have had a re-occurence.
I only know of 4 "confirmed" clutch issues as of last week, but as you said, there could be more.

After 350 miles on the new clutch since last Wednesday, the issue reappeared yesterday, and after some short rides today, I can confirm, simply changing the clutch did not solve the issue in "my" case.
So BRP has made another suggestion, will update once this is installed and tried out.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I only know of 4 "confirmed" clutch issues as of last week, but as you said, there could be more.

After 350 miles on the new clutch since last Wednesday, the issue reappeared yesterday, and after some short rides today, I can confirm, simply changing the clutch did not solve the issue in "my" case.
So BRP has made another suggestion, will update once this is installed and tried out.
4 plus you twice is 6
Good luck, Hope they clear it up soon.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
4 plus you twice is 6
Good luck, Hope they clear it up soon.
I was one of the four, so five the way you are counting.

Regardless of how many have the issue, I have no regrets on purchasing the RT-S. Have only put 1,500 miles on it, hope to head
down to see Ken this Thursday, thats only 500 miles away, weather is looking great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Roadster dies while shifting from 2nd to 1st every other stop sign or light. Yesterday would not start, error - transmission problems. This has been going on for 4 weeks. Requested that if it is not fixed, give me new model.

·
Registered
22 Posts
dealer is in contact with can am, clering errors, running test that can am advises, advise me that they will be in touch tuesday and will ask which parts need to be replaced. They don't seem to be to dilgent about it. Taled to Carlo two weeks ago, he says that he will work with dealer. wrote tech support yesterday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dealer got with can am. Ran tests, reset software, Drove it home, died twice on the way home. going back into shop tomarrow. They need to relace whole unit.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealer got with can am. Ran tests, reset software, Drove it home, died twice on the way home. going back into shop tomarrow. They need to relace whole unit.
Sorry to hear that, but seems for a dealer to take two weeks to work with BRP and still have the same issues, makes me question the abilities of the tech/dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I agree with you. If I had another dealer in area I would take it to them.
I would press them hard. Dealer should be on top of this issue and working closely with BRP. The fix is identified so it's a matter of making it happen. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would press them hard. Dealer should be on top of this issue and working closely with BRP. The fix is identified so it's a matter of making it happen. Good luck and keep us posted.
Carlo advised Dealer to drive unit for an hour. Dealer drove it for 50 miles and cant reproduce the error. Did see on facebook that there is a recall on gear box supposingly. Going to take it back from dealer and drive it till it happens again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same model color and issues. It just went in for its 600 mile service and let the dealer know. There are several issues they are working on for mine. Nothing major. Any one have issues with the front wheel lifting off the ground during turns. Luckily it was a low speed turn from a stop.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Carlo advised Dealer to drive unit for an hour. Dealer drove it for 50 miles and cant reproduce the error. Did see on facebook that there is a recall on gear box supposingly. Going to take it back from dealer and drive it till it happens again.
As of Saturday, no recall there is a service bulletin(?) about the GBPS, I will read it in detail on Thursday, and post what I learn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem. THe bike shifting to first gear followed by the bike "bucking". Upon braking the bike would stall. It was corrected when my dealer removed three centrifical rollers from the clutch and replaced them with the needle bearing rollers which have been in the transmission from day one starting with the RS models. You never read of an automatic RS having this problem. It's because Rotax installed three of the nine rollers made with polyurethane bushings instead of needle bearings. IF you look at the posted picture of the clutch you will see two rollers with a red stripe. those are the bad parts. THere should be three. I'm assuming the missing one is the third red striped one. Rotax installed the new part in an attempt somewhat quiet the motor when traveling at speed. MY dealer informed me maybe 15 to 25 rt have the poly rollers. He assured me mine wasn't one of them. But low and behold my rt did have the three red striped rollers. They were replaced with the needle bearing rollers and 400 miles later I've had no problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently purchased a 2010 RT SE-5 and other than my own error, haven't had any downshifting problems whether engine control or manually. Interesting material tho, will keep watch for something like this happen. Have over 600 miles on now so hopefully won't have any problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts