Can Am Spyder Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Gang, we can have spirited debates all day long...but let's not lower ourselves to name calling and personal attacks.
Amen. Glad you caught this one Marc. I hadn't seen that offensive post until just now.

Bruce

·
Dudley
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
For those of you who may have read all the posts on this thread, I have a copy of an email from Royal Purple concerning their Max Cycle oil:

The RP formulations are considered proprietary and consist of synthetic base stocks, synthetic additives and diluent oils.
So yes - it is a synthetic oil.
Depending on your definition of 100% will vary the answer to your question - and by an engineering standpoint - there is no such thing as a 100% synthetic oil.
It's a marketing term - not a performance term and the guys on the forum are getting into a discussion based on what a product "is" rather than what a product "does".

We do not use any solids such as graphic, Teflon, heavy metals, molybdenum disulfide, or corrosives like chlorines / chlorides, borons, or anything carcinogenic like lead and the oil is okay to use in wet clutches.
This must be coming from some false information put out by an unscrupulous competitor 6-7 years ago (Amsoil). If you go away from the Amsoil dealers websites and you go to the Amsoil Corporate website - you'll see that this info has been removed.

cheers,

David

David Canitz
Tech Services
Royal Purple Inc.
1 Royal Purple lane
Porter, TX 77365
713.725.7207 cell
[email protected]

·
Registered
105 Posts
For those of you who may have read all the posts on this thread, I have a copy of an email from Royal Purple concerning their Max Cycle oil:

The RP formulations are considered proprietary and consist of synthetic base stocks, synthetic additives and diluent oils.
So yes - it is a synthetic oil.
Depending on your definition of 100% will vary the answer to your question - and by an engineering standpoint - there is no such thing as a 100% synthetic oil.
It's a marketing term - not a performance term and the guys on the forum are getting into a discussion based on what a product "is" rather than what a product "does".

We do not use any solids such as graphic, Teflon, heavy metals, molybdenum disulfide, or corrosives like chlorines / chlorides, borons, or anything carcinogenic like lead and the oil is okay to use in wet clutches.
This must be coming from some false information put out by an unscrupulous competitor 6-7 years ago (Amsoil). If you go away from the Amsoil dealers websites and you go to the Amsoil Corporate website - you'll see that this info has been removed.

cheers,

David

David Canitz
Tech Services
Royal Purple Inc.
1 Royal Purple lane
Porter, TX 77365
713.725.7207 cell
[email protected]
I put my Royal Purple in last weekend. Spyderwoman

·
Dudley
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'm interested to know if she saw a simliar difference in the shifting that she felt on Dudley's Spyder. That's what the 'and???' was about.
Well, she rode our SE5 and saw the difference in ours, and that's why she switched. I am sure she will give the Forum a review after she rides some more miles. And we're looking for your review also!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
You may not be able to find the Royal Purple Max-Cycle oil locally. I found a dealer and ordered 5 quarts online. It's around $13 a quart and I got the 10w40. I can't say it's good or bad at this point. It's synthetic oil, doubtful any syn oil that meets the requirements would harm the Spyder.

The Spyder manual calls for a 5W40 synthetic. BRP has recently discontinued their 5W40 Synthetic and startred using a 10w40 blend. From this some of us have decided to try some different synthetic oils. It's a personal decision. Many people love their particular brand of oil. I'm Agnostic at this point.

Check out royalpurple.com and you can find a dealer on their site.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm interested to know if she saw a simliar difference in the shifting that she felt on Dudley's Spyder. That's what the 'and???' was about.
Today was the first time I rode since I changed the oil last weekend. I went about 150 miles. I notice a difference for the better. Glad I went with the Royal Purple. Incidentally, on the oil tank, there is a sticker recommending the BRP oil but it also says something to the effect "or equivalent oil" so I don't think the warranty thing is an issue since it's equivalent (actually better). Spyderwoman

·
Arceerider
674 Posts
Hey!!!

I heard Royal Purple is going to release a new Racing Butt cream... It is supposed to help with chaffing on those really long rides, and it will come in 3 scents too. WOW, I can't wait!!!

Eye Paint Automotive wheel system Electric blue Bottle cap

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hey!!!

I heard Royal Purple is going to release a new Racing Butt cream... It is supposed to help with chaffing on those really long rides, and it will come in 3 scents too. WOW, I can't wait!!!

View attachment 7501
Now , if they just don't make outlandish claims about using this cream then they should be good to go. After getting slapped hard with the false advertising debacle on their oils last month , I'm thinking they may not promote this product using the moniker : Your butt will produce 10% more horsepower using this cream"
I had wondered what they did with all the mislabeled product they had to remove from the shelves... Great idea so they didn't have to throw it away!

And before the flame wars begin , this post made in jest, merely playing on the issues they've had lately with their advertising claims.
Some members appear to see improved shifting on their SE5's using this oil and I won't dispute their findings, just the wild claims made by Royal Purple in their advertising claims. I've been trying to pick up a quart to send it out for a VOA to see whats in the synerlec additive package for 2 weeks now but between Rochester and Buffalo I can't find any motorsports dealer that carries it .

·
Registered
282 Posts
Now , if they just don't make outlandish claims about using this cream then they should be good to go. After getting slapped hard with the false advertising debacle on their oils last month , I'm thinking they may not promote this product using the moniker : Your butt will produce 10% more horsepower using this cream"
I had wondered what they did with all the mislabeled product they had to remove from the shelves... Great idea so they didn't have to throw it away!

And before the flame wars begin , this post made in jest, merely playing on the issues they've had lately with their advertising claims.
Some members appear to see improved shifting on their SE5's using this oil and I won't dispute their findings, just the wild claims made by Royal Purple in their advertising claims. I've been trying to pick up a quart to send it out for a VOA to see whats in the synerlec additive package for 2 weeks now but between Rochester and Buffalo I can't find any motorsports dealer that carries it .
I would hardly say they got 'slapped hard' with false advertising. Their claims were not quantified and one of their competitors didn't like that. Happens all the time. None of the 'false' claims were about anything that would make me choose to use RP (more HP, less smog, better MPG) etc. anyway. It's commercial advertising - they ALL stretch the truth - even on the internet -
I doubt they had any big problems with removing anything from the shelves - worst case would have been repackaging - but I doubt they had to do that. Typically there is a timeframe for them to cease such ads.

How about Shell claiming their gas has all these special detergents, etc. - when they are in all brands of gas by federal law?

Silly.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would hardly say they got 'slapped hard' with false advertising. Their claims were not quantified and one of their competitors didn't like that. Happens all the time. None of the 'false' claims were about anything that would make me choose to use RP (more HP, less smog, better MPG) etc. anyway. It's commercial advertising - they ALL stretch the truth - even on the internet -
I doubt they had any big problems with removing anything from the shelves - worst case would have been repackaging - but I doubt they had to do that. Typically there is a timeframe for them to cease such ads.

How about Shell claiming their gas has all these special detergents, etc. - when they are in all brands of gas by federal law?

Silly.
Maybe we should ask the shell answer man.... You can find his clips from the 70's on youtube. Hillarious.

There are few oil companies left that don't mislead , but you are right they are far and few between.

·
doctor
392 Posts
I will not write bad words on the internet
If you change oil often enought, it doesn't really matter what you use. If you can use diesel oil in Harleys, It seems to me anything goes. Like you say, it's your choice. Like politics, and religion, everyone has an opinon. I agree with most of what you say.

·
Arceerider
674 Posts
Maybe we should ask the shell answer man.... You can find his clips from the 70's on youtube. Hillarious.

There are few oil companies left that don't mislead , but you are right they are far and few between.
Larry Hagman - the oil guy!!!
That is an oxymoron…
Hmmm widow, what are you trying to tell us?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts