Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the photos found in the Spyder accessory catalogue, it looks like the adjustable backrest takes up quite a bit of the space on the rear sport rack, and that if a rider wanted to use the rear rack bag, there would be no room for it on the rack, as available space is already used by the backrest. Maybe I'm missing something here - I hope I am wrong, but it looks like if you wanted to go touring two-up, you would have to choose between having storage space or having a backrest for your passenger.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Please tell me I'm wrong about this, because I cannot imagine what the designers were thinking of, if this is the case. As a long-time sport-touring motorcyclist, I am acutely aware of the need for luggage space as well as passenger comfort. I am flabbergasted that BRP designers appear to have sacrificed one for the other. Any thoughts or observations on this?

·
Rokonman #2018
142 Posts
In the photos found in the Spyder accessory catalogue, it looks like the adjustable backrest takes up quite a bit of the space on the rear sport rack, and that if a rider wanted to use the rear rack bag, there would be no room for it on the rack, as available space is already used by the backrest. Maybe I'm missing something here - I hope I am wrong, but it looks like if you wanted to go touring two-up, you would have to choose between having storage space or having a backrest for your passenger.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Please tell me I'm wrong about this, because I cannot imagine what the designers were thinking of, if this is the case. As a long-time sport-touring motorcyclist, I am acutely aware of the need for luggage space as well as passenger comfort. I am flabbergasted that BRP designers appear to have sacrificed one for the other. Any thoughts or observations on this?
I asked this question early in the process and you are correct. The backrest excludes the ability to use the optional rear bag. I guess they felt the front "trunk" area would be the prefered storage area. Don't really know. For what it's worth, I ordered the rack, backrest and tankbag.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked this question early in the process and you are correct. The backrest excludes the ability to use the optional rear bag. I guess they felt the front "trunk" area would be the prefered storage area. Don't really know. For what it's worth, I ordered the rack, backrest and tankbag.
Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like optional side bags are becoming even more necessary. If BRP doesn't address this, I am sure the aftermarket will.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like optional side bags are becoming even more necessary. If BRP doesn't address this, I am sure the aftermarket will.
Maybe I see it different, wait I guess I do. The bag is the backrest? I will have to ask them?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I see it different, wait I guess I do. The bag is the backrest? I will have to ask them?
I guess you could use the bag as a backrest, but it doesn't look nearly as comfortable or secure as the real backrest.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I plan on using a Givi wing rack, Givi top and side cases with a backrest installed on the top case. I've been using this set up for years, Givi makes cases in black and silver and black. Check them out at WWW.GIVIUSA.com

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on using a Givi wing rack, Givi top and side cases with a backrest installed on the top case. I've been using this set up for years, Givi makes cases in black and silver and black. Check them out at WWW.GIVIUSA.com
Yes, Givi makes very nice stuff. Please post the results, once you have taken delivery of your machine and determined for sure that the wing rack is compatible with the Spyder. Givi bags would look awesome on the Spyder, especially color matched.

·
Rokonman #2018
142 Posts
Yes, Givi makes very nice stuff. Please post the results, once you have taken delivery of your machine and determined for sure that the wing rack is compatible with the Spyder. Givi bags would look awesome on the Spyder, especially color matched.
I checked with GIVI to see if they had done any work with the SPYDER. Nothing yet.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
Greetings Mr Abel,

Thank you for your email and comment regarding our website.

In regards to your questions, please note that the bag is NOT the backrest when there is no backrest.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

Adrien for the Spyder Team

·
tonga
439 Posts
Greetings Mr Abel,
Thank you for your email and comment regarding our website.

In regards to your questions, please note that the bag is NOT the backrest when there is no backrest.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any additional questions.
Best Regards,

Adrien for the Spyder Team
I don't like the fact that the backrest takes up the space on the rear rack but my Wife says that she wants the back rest. The Spyder needs more then the front trunk for storage if two people want to get away for a weekend. Side bags will be expensive if the price of the rear rack and backrest are any indication!!

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
I don't like the fact that the backrest takes up the space on the rear rack but my Wife says that she wants the back rest. The Spyder needs more then the front trunk for storage if two people want to get away for a weekend. Side bags will be expensive if the price of the rear rack and backrest are any indication!!
I am keeping an eye out for a taller bag or something that can fit nicely behind the backrest. If anyone gets a line on one please post some pics and info.

·
doctor
392 Posts
I am keeping an eye out for a taller bag or something that can fit nicely behind the backrest. If anyone gets a line on one please post some pics and info.
Bushtec will have a trailer hitch in Feb. 2008. I plan on towing the trailer if the wife is along.

·
Registered
649 Posts
SOLUTION: its called a BACKPACK!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't think a back pack is the answer, especially if you are traveling long distance. Several thousand miles. The wife & I bought it with touring in mind. And you definitly need a back rest for the passenger. I hope some one comes out with a solution for this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts