Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, its time to take the plung and buy an ATV, Im looking at a 400 or 500cc machine and have done some research on line for wieghts, suspension travel etc..... Now I would like some opinions from those already big into the sport. I am not set on a brand and would expect lots of positive votes for Can-Am from this site but if possible, put the loyalty's aside and give your thoughts. I would like a 400 outlander but the $$$ seems a bit higher than everyone else. Mostly trail/woods riding, no racing or jumping in my plans so I think 4X4 utility is the best option. Already have a BRP sled on the trailer and have NO complaints.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ok, its time to take the plung and buy an ATV, Im looking at a 400 or 500cc machine and have done some research on line for wieghts, suspension travel etc..... Now I would like some opinions from those already big into the sport. I am not set on a brand and would expect lots of positive votes for Can-Am from this site but if possible, put the loyalty's aside and give your thoughts. I would like a 400 outlander but the $$$ seems a bit higher than everyone else. Mostly trail/woods riding, no racing or jumping in my plans so I think 4X4 utility is the best option. Already have a BRP sled on the trailer and have NO complaints.
Welcome and great subject.

I have an 04 Outy 400 that we got in summer of 03, so far we have about 5 or 6000 K on it, we have had to change the brake pads once, and have had an electrical issue ( regulator overheating or somethikg like that) replaced and relocated this was 100% warranty ( not the brakes) and a front drive shaft seal start to sweat again 100% warranty.

we like the fuel milage and the ride, we do not use it much now since we got our 800's but we still keep it and bring it with us for a spare, and sure enough it gets used, when our buddies Hondas, or Polaris break down ( I am not picking on the other brands here ) .

One of the major considerations I feel that is important is dealer location form where you live and where you doo most of your riding, all manufactures have great machines in that class, and all manufactures have some sort of issues.
SO I think it comes down to your $$ and dealers support the most.
Good luck and let us know what you doo.

Wolf ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and great subject.

I have an 04 Outy 400 that we got in summer of 03, so far we have about 5 or 6000 K on it, we have had to change the brake pads once, and have had an electrical issue ( regulator overheating or somethikg like that) replaced and relocated this was 100% warranty ( not the brakes) and a front drive shaft seal start to sweat again 100% warranty.

we like the fuel milage and the ride, we do not use it much now since we got our 800's but we still keep it and bring it with us for a spare, and sure enough it gets used, when our buddies Hondas, or Polaris break down ( I am not picking on the other brands here ) .

One of the major considerations I feel that is important is dealer location form where you live and where you doo most of your riding, all manufactures have great machines in that class, and all manufactures have some sort of issues.
SO I think it comes down to your $$ and dealers support the most.
Good luck and let us know what you doo.

Wolf ;)
Wolf,

Thanks for the info, anyone else???? Ill definately let ya know what I end up with. Ive been watching this site for a while and if its anything like DooTalk Ill be learning alot here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey BomberNut Im from The Ottawa Vally /Carleton Place Area - 20 mins west of ottawa. Im looking for a place to ride and i saw your site. Im down near the kingston way almost every second weekend. (Newburg). Let me know when you guys have a club ride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a King Quad 450 (hence the username). I felt that it was the best deal with the most options for the money and I have not been disappointed.........so far.

Jerry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. I have looked at thwe KQ450 and it looks pretty nice. Id reallt like the C-A 500XT EFI, but the $$$ is 2K more than the KQ and from the posts in all ATV forums, you need a full skid plate immediately.

Ive narrowed it down to the C-A 500, the KQ 450 and the grizz 450, the po po 500 EfI isnt out of the question either, but ........

Any thoughts on these????

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the replys. I have looked at thwe KQ450 and it looks pretty nice. Id reallt like the C-A 500XT EFI, but the $$$ is 2K more than the KQ and from the posts in all ATV forums, you need a full skid plate immediately.

Ive narrowed it down to the C-A 500, the KQ 450 and the grizz 450, the po po 500 EfI isnt out of the question either, but ........

Thanks, Steve
ok, i'll chime in here. i have a poo 400 sportsman and it's been a great machine, i have not had one problem with it, 0, nada, nothing. on the other hand, i had a 2001 500 sportsman non efi and it was a very good quad except for the starter being on the bottom (they may have changed this by now) and it would get moisture into it, wasn't a problem until november, then it would freeze up and not start. after a couple years of that quad, i sold it and bought a sportsman 700 (non efi). i still have it and am happy with it most of the time, it doesn't like temps below 25* the only problem i had with this quad is the rad fan quit on me and i didn't know it, it overheated and blew out a plastic tee in the coolant system. replaced tee and fan and all is well.....so, overall i am happy with poo, the ride is also excellent. IMO if you're not stuck on a brand, choose a good dealer...they all make good quads with occasional problems. good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
529 Posts

Thanks, Steve
I considered all of them,I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them, but I have heard the CA will break fender brackets and such if you are rough on it. I think it's more of a leisure bike and don't misunderstand me, I think it's nice but the other two you mentioned are also good. If you want power and acceleration, look no further than the CA. It is tops in this category, but tends to sustain more damage when going over rocks/obstacles. I was interested in the Grizz, those machines are rock solid and very few problems, but I did not like the handlebar position, feel of the seat, or where the foot-activated brake lever is (kinda tucked under the side cover). But, mechanically, the Grizz is awesome.

The KQ was the perfect fit, feel, look, and option package for me. But your own personal preference will prevail. IMO you won't go wrong with any, but personally the KQ was just right for me.

Jerry

·
Registered
85 Posts
I considered all of them,I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them, but I have heard the CA will break fender brackets and such if you are rough on it. I think it's more of a leisure bike and don't misunderstand me, I think it's nice but the other two you mentioned are also good. If you want power and acceleration, look no further than the CA. It is tops in this category, but tends to sustain more damage when going over rocks/obstacles. I was interested in the Grizz, those machines are rock solid and very few problems, but I did not like the handlebar position, feel of the seat, or where the foot-activated brake lever is (kinda tucked under the side cover). But, mechanically, the Grizz is awesome.

The KQ was the perfect fit, feel, look, and option package for me. But your own personal preference will prevail. IMO you won't go wrong with any, but personally the KQ was just right for me.
Jerry
i just bought my first wheeler back on january 3 and i went with an 2006 yamaha grizz 660... so far i love it.... it was completely stock for about a month till i got a little bored and threw a rear bumper on, front bumper plate, overfenders, handguards and a rear trunk... im also putting on a set of AMS swamp fox plus's 27x12's this weekend and today im dropping it off to finally get my winch put on that i ordered when i bought the quad... my decision to go with yamaha was easy since i ride yamaha bikes, also i liked the 660 motor because it has been on the market for a long time... also my local ski doo dealer that i go through sells yamaha and he treats me great and keeps me coming back to buy more toys, so if anyone in the central new york area is looking for a good doo/yammi dealer try Sno Pro Performance in Nelliston, NY... anyways time for me to get her loaded in back of the f-150 and run her down...

ben

·
Registered
247 Posts
My wife has a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI which we have had for almost 2 years. Zero problems so far and what an excellent riding atv. Very powerful and comfortable.

·
Registered
529 Posts
With the ATV market being so comepetitive, I don't think ANY manufacturer makes a piece of junk. Each one has different quirks that make it your favorite or you hate it, but the competition is stiff, so factories have to stay on top of their game. People argue about a few pounds here, 2 h.p. there, what have you, but I feel that choosing an ATV is more about finding one that fits you physically and is comfortable and affordable than it is about little details. I like to read magazine reviews of the machines, but I always have to remind myself that the bikes are often tortured during the test and pushed to their limits until they break. So it seems that magazine testers will almost ALWAYS discover a weakness because that's their job.

For what it's worth, I think the CA is a nice bike, and for the price you get a lot of extras and doo-dads that you need to buy separately with the others. If I were to upgrade my KQ with aluminum rims and a winch, I'd be into it for almost what a CA cost with those things installed factory.

Jerry

·
Registered
53 Posts

Thanks, Steve
your selection is fine but I for one would stay away from the grizz 450, I ride with a guy that has a 2006 and it is under powered big time IMO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts