Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
From doing some searching on all of the Spyder related forums and searching the internet, I have a "possible" explanation on the assembly required by the dealer.

The picture below is of the "end of the production line" for the Spyder. The first Spyder is reported as being the one for Jay Leno, looking close you will see the shipping protection applied to the front/rear fenders, muffler, and other areas. (notice the yellow area showing on the left front fender/rear fender) Also you can see that both on the first Spyder and the one directly behind it, the "storage compartment", "front end", or what ever technical term that may be applied to it, is "not installed".

Reports have it that this is the final assembly position of the line, next they are crated for shipping. Since the Spyder has an overall length of 105" and the widest inside dimension of a semi trailer is 101", this could explain why this piece is removed for shipping, keeping the shipping length of the crate within standards. This would also explain the few reports I have read of dealers needing to "install the front end".

So if this is indeed the "dealer assembly" that has been reported on the forums, the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) should be no more than a motorcycle/ATV.... connect battery, check fluid levels, and similar things.

Picture posted with permission from Spyderman (admin @ Canamspyderfroums)

·
Registered
314 Posts
if you look at the spyder'si n the background they dont have the front bin which is what BRP told me some assembly is required.,.here is the actual e-mail i got from BRP. addressing that question....(note the answer to the 1st question)::::
::"in this Phase (this Fall) and next Phase (Winter/Spring)". winter/spring? not spring /winter..does that mean winter 2008 fall2009....hahaha who knows.

Sent: October 25, 2007 16:40
To: Lacroix, Marc R
Subject: spyder info:

Hello Mark was just talking to my dealer on my delivery was told this week for sure. but as of today(10-25-07) he states that he knows nothing.not even where his shipment is ..find that hard to believe. i can track almost every item i have ordered some way or another...

.my questions are ::

Q>
1... is it true that ALL dealers will only be getting 3 units for sale ??,no matter what

size of dealership?mine says he has been cut back to 8 of 12...i'am # 4

A>
Each dealer has a specific allocation of Spyders and they know exactly how many they will receive in this Phase (this Fall) and next Phase (Winter/Spring). They can also confirm this information via their District Sales Manager. We cannot disclose specific allocations per dealer to customers. Please consult with your dealer.

The first production of a limited quantity of Spyder roadsters began in mid-September and these first units are now arriving at authorized Spyder dealerships in North America . Units from this first production are shipped to authorized Can-Am Spyder dealers in North America according to their allocation. A second and much larger production of Spyder roadsters is scheduled for early 2008. Once again, these will be shipped to authorized Can-Am Spyder dealers according to their allocation.

Q>
2... will plaque be the same as jay leno's .except for the # will it say premiere edition?

A>
That is correct.

Q>
3...i,am aware of the changes as stated on by you on can-am talk.but some rumors have

been that a total of over 100 changes were made and if so how can i see a list of

them.

A>
On Can-Am Talk, I covered the major points. There are a number of improvements in fit/finish/esthetics and there are too many to list.

Q>
4...iam thinking about putting a deposit down for another one for march delivery

being it seems that the fall deliverys are delayed will that affect the deliverys in march?

Please consult with your dealer regarding his allocation and delivery dates.

Q>
5..and also how complete is spyder when delivered? and approx time needed to finish

assembly.

A>
There is some final assembly and pre-delivery inspection required by dealers. Example, they must assemble the front "bin", (the storage area) and a number of adjustments/inspections. Times will vary according to dealer and experience with Spyder

Best Regards,

Marc R Lacroix
BRP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts