Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hitachi 51" rear projection tv is finally crapping out! What do I do now? I've been to 5 different stores and can't make up my mind
. There's to many to pick from. Looking to stay between 50 and 60". Sony has some new rear projection unit that are pretty darn close to plasma quality for 1 to 2000 $'s less. My friend researched this a year ago and decided on a Panasonic plasma 50 something inch. So I went to where he bought his (a large appliance store, Bill Smith, here in Ft Myers) and they said that they stopped selling Panasonic due to repair problems. Holy $hit, they had the top rating when he bought it. It seems that Samsung is now one of the top tv's out there. Years ago Samsung was the bottom of the barrel along with Sharp, who is another big brand out there now.
Any thought's out there?????????? Looking for quality, dependability and bang for the buck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought a Samsung DLP HDTV in January and have been really happy with it. As far as bang for your buck, DLP is the way to go. I was a little worried because it is a relatively new technology but for the price ($1400 for a 51") I decided to give it a shot. This is my first HDTV so I am not sure how other technologies stack up but I did compare them all in the showroom and this TV has a great picture.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a Hitachi 51 " 51swx20B, rear projection, purchased in Jan. 2003. The RED bulb looks to be out of adjustment. Only the extreme 12 to 14 inches on both the right and left are out of line. It has a "Majic Focus" setting but that is not fixing the problem. Manual focus doesn't seem to help either. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I've run out and bought a Sony LCD 52" yesterday so I'd like to try and fix this one and donate it. Thanks for listening.........TJ

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sony LCD all the way. When I bought mine I went all over town and looked at everything out there; plasma, dlp, lcd and good Ol fashioned tubes. The HD tubes were ever so slightly a little betterthen it was a tie with the Sony LCD and a LG Plasma. I decided on the LCD because they run cooler and use less electricity then plasma. I can set anywhere in my rec room and the picture doesn't distort. Try that with a dlp. Plasma's are the only others (besides tubes) that you can do this with.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got a Hitachi 51 " 51swx20B, rear projection, purchased in Jan. 2003. The RED bulb looks to be out of adjustment. Only the extreme 12 to 14 inches on both the right and left are out of line. It has a "Majic Focus" setting but that is not fixing the problem. Manual focus doesn't seem to help either. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I've run out and bought a Sony LCD 52" yesterday so I'd like to try and fix this one and donate it. Thanks for listening.........TJ
Hey I agree with Dan go with a sony lcd. I have a 42inch Vizio I bought from costco. i work there too. It was on coupon for a thousand bucks back in November and its been great. O its a plasma. I would rather have lcd but couldnt pass up on the deal. Plus I can return it whenever I want. But now we have a new return policy which is still better than any other retailer so I suggest you try costco.com cause you can return it to any store if you dont like it or just buy from the store. This would be a good way to try a couple tvs. I know I shouldnt recommend all that returning but want to help a fellow can-ammer. Hope that helps

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can set anywhere in my rec room and the picture doesn't distort. Try that with a dlp. Plasma's are the only others (besides tubes) that you can do this with.
Hmm, I don't see any distortion of the picture on my DLP anywhere in the room. I have a couch that is about a 30 degree angle from the TV and the picture from it is just as clear and precise as the couch that is directly in front of it. That, and the price, were the selling points for me because I have an odd-shaped room.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I am in the plasma vs. LCD debate right now too. Decisions, decisions...

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I've got a Phillips 65" HD 1080i rear projection that is pretty darn nice, but I recently purchased a LG 42" 1080p plasma.

I looked over and over between LCD and plasma...The plasma was on sale for $1000.00 and couldn't pass up the deal...Includes 4 year extended in home warranty with humidity coverage also.

The HD channels it recieves have incredible color...Only way to go.

It does run on the warm side.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
From what I read, the plasma will give me better colors and less glare...but I have also read they likely will have a shorter life than an LCD. Now, not sure what that means...10 years instead of 15, then I don't care. The price points are definitely looking good these days.

I've got a Phillips 65" HD 1080i rear projection that is pretty darn nice, but I recently purchased a LG 42" 1080p plasma.

I looked over and over between LCD and plasma...The plasma was on sale for $1000.00 and couldn't pass up the deal...Includes 4 year extended in home warranty with humidity coverage also.

The HD channels it recieves have incredible color...Only way to go.

It does run on the warm side.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just got rid of my SONY BRAVIA KDL52W3000 due to having the picture going out constantly. Warranty replaced it twice with a new television. It started to go again so the dealer gave me a full refund and I bought the Panasonic Viera 58" TH-58PZ750 1080P set. The colors and motion are quite a bit better then SONYs and also the viewing angle is alot better. I have Samsung 32" for my computer monitor and it works great too.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Here is the Sony Wega KDF-60WF655 that only lasted 14 months, the optical driver died and with a repair bill of $ 2,700 it was replaced.
As as of next month, Sony is dropping all rear projection units including the SXRD line.

The replacement was a Mitsubishi WD-62627 and so far happy with it, but may change to plasma this year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dad has a sony kdf60xbr950 paid well over 6,000 for it (grand wega) the thing has been the biggest piece of junk ever. I would never suggest anyone to buy a sony ever again. I made him buy the extended warranty when he bought it. it has been down for repairs more than its been useable and each repair cast has been over 1500 and it has has the same problem 3 times. DO NOT BUY A SONY

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Hitachi 51" rear projection tv is finally crapping out! What do I do now? I've been to 5 different stores and can't make up my mind
. There's to many to pick from. Looking to stay between 50 and 60". Sony has some new rear projection unit that are pretty darn close to plasma quality for 1 to 2000 $'s less. My friend researched this a year ago and decided on a Panasonic plasma 50 something inch. So I went to where he bought his (a large appliance store, Bill Smith, here in Ft Myers) and they said that they stopped selling Panasonic due to repair problems. Holy $hit, they had the top rating when he bought it. It seems that Samsung is now one of the top tv's out there. Years ago Samsung was the bottom of the barrel along with Sharp, who is another big brand out there now.
Any thought's out there?????????? Looking for quality, dependability and bang for the buck!
We like the plasma better, my wife got the Sony LCD for the bedroom and its nice but not as nice as the 60 inch Pioneer Elite we have in the family room. I find the colours are much cleaner, even the blacks and whites are more vivid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 47" Vizio LCD in the bedroom and a 50" Phillips plasma in the living room and prefer the looks of the plasma.

Plasma pros over LCD: more vivid colors, the appearance of more detail

Plasma cons over LCD: more heat and electricity, reliability (10 years vs 15-20)

I also have a Sharp DLP front projector in the home theater room projecting onto 120" wide Stewart screen and it is simply AWESOME. The downside is you have to be able to eliminate almost all ambient lighting(pitch black) to make the most of it. Dedicating an entire room to home theater is not always easy and sitting around in a dark room with your bud's watching hockey just seems wierd. But if you have the extra room....holy $#% it is better than going out to the movies.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Plasma cons over LCD: more heat and electricity, reliability (10 years vs 15-20)
Does the picture quality deteriorate over time? Will years 5-7 be worse than new, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 47" Vizio LCD in the bedroom and a 50" Phillips plasma in the living room and prefer the looks of the plasma.

Plasma pros over LCD: more vivid colors, the appearance of more detail

I also have a Sharp DLP front projector in the home theater room projecting onto 120" wide Stewart screen and it is simply AWESOME. The downside is you have to be able to eliminate almost all ambient lighting(pitch black) to make the most of it. Dedicating an entire room to home theater is not always easy and sitting around in a dark room with your bud's watching hockey just seems wierd. But if you have the extra room....holy $#% it is better than going out to the movies.
plasma gets burn in to!,, not good for video games or non HDTV viewing..
Crutchfield has a great pro and cons VS in their last magazine

1 - 20 of 27 Posts