Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Buell has pulled the cover off of its new high-tech sport bike, the 2008 1125R, armed with an engine built by Rotax - not Harley-Davidson.

The Buell 1125R Helicon engine is a new 1,125cc, double-overhead cam v-twin, the first liquid-cooled engine to power a street-legal Buell.

Designed to Buell specs and built by Austria's BRP-Rotax, it is rated at 146 horsepower, with a 10,500 rpm redline.

It reportedly puts out 82 foot-pounds of torque through a six-speed transmission, pushing a claimed weight of 375 pounds.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price is a reported $11,995.

The 1125R is expected at dealerships late this year.

Buell is a subsidiary of Harley-Davidson.

This thing should kick.

Link to Buell 1125R Website

~Bob

·
Registered
164 Posts
Kawasaki advertises 187 h.p. and 197 h.p with the Ram-Air in effect.

Seems hard to believe.
Jerry
Actually i think the Busa' has the close HP as the 14, busa is like 175ish? and the 14 is around what Merlin said... for the price, the ZX and the busa are about the same, no? Also, the 08' Busa is the 2nd generation busa, with some new features n' stuff, and weight reductions. ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have ridden the Hayabusa and it is a phenomenal bike. Don't know about the ZX-14 but I would like to try it. The new Buell may be interesting, too. The older Buells (especially the Firebolt and older Lightnings) were tough, it felt like you were getting a medical exam after about 10 miles or so.

Jerry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any bets on whether or not BRP, will be offering this engine as an up-grade option for the Spyder?

Seems like a logical step to me.

Personally, I would hate to see that happen. No substitute for cubic inches.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I really doubt BRP would offer this as an upgrade option ... when the VSS won't let you get everything out of the 990 thats in it ! it wouldn't do you any good to have more CC's when you can't make use of them !

·
Registered
911 Posts
Any bets on whether or not BRP, will be offering this engine as an up-grade option for the Spyder?

Seems like a logical step to me.

Personally, I would hate to see that happen. No substitute for cubic inches.
the 1125r engine was developed as a buell engine - i'm sure that harley owns all of the rights to it.

as to an engine upgrade, the current engine is soooooooooooo detuned that they can make increases for years without changing the design. at this point we've upgraded our engine to our aprilia "stage one" specs (heads, cams, pistons, intake & exhaust) which is good for about 150 h.p. (up from the base of 106 h.p.). if you really want something, we could go with a big bore 1060 engine and make about 170 h.p..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts