Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe somebody here can help me? My spyder is doing something weird. These are the syptoms: It wont start, when I turn the key on....the dashboard doesnt light up (dead). All the running lights turn on normally. I checked the battery and its perfect. I also checked the fuses everywhere...all good. I feel like there's a bad connection somewhere? Has anybody had this problem?

· Registered
150 Posts
Yea I had exactly that problem. People on here don't want to hear it. Tell your dealer to check the DESS system, the control box, the antenna and the ignition. What is the number of your spyder? if it's 1000 or less, chances are you have a DESS that was damaged during assembly.

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I had exactly that problem. People on here don't want to hear it. Tell your dealer to check the DESS system, the control box, the antenna and the ignition. What is the number of your spyder? if it's 1000 or less, chances are you have a DESS that was damaged during assembly.
Hi! I checked my battery connections....fine. Checked all the fuses (including the ones in the back)....fine. Tried a different key....nothing. I've never taken the dash out, I would if I had the manual. Did your dealer replace anything? BTW my Spyder is #186.

· Registered
150 Posts
Hi! I checked my battery connections....fine. Checked all the fuses (including the ones in the back)....fine. Tried a different key....nothing. I've never taken the dash out, I would if I had the manual. Did your dealer replace anything? BTW my Spyder is #186.
They replaced the DESS unit and the ignition, The problem was the DESS unit was loosing communication with the key and the spyder would not start or shut down on the road. When this happens there is no error code generated. Mine started at 900 miles the DESS unit was replaced at 1150 miles, I now have 3600 miles on the spyder and have not had any problems since it was replaced. At the homecomming I spoke to the factory electronic guy about this for a while and he told me that during assembly of the first 1000 units the wiring for the DESS module or the ignition could have been damaged during assembly.

· Premium Member
7,526 Posts
We would love to hear about it. Thanks for the tip and if you have more info, let us know.

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They replaced the DESS unit and the ignition, The problem was the DESS unit was loosing communication with the key and the spyder would not start or shut down on the road. When this happens there is no error code generated. Mine started at 900 miles the DESS unit was replaced at 1150 miles, I now have 3600 miles on the spyder and have not had any problems since it was replaced. At the homecomming I spoke to the factory electronic guy about this for a while and he told me that during assembly of the first 1000 units the wiring for the DESS module or the ignition could have been damaged during assembly.
Thanks for the info Mrfix.....I guess I'll tow Spyder-boy to the dealer and give them the info. I hope they fix it fast!

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any update on the cause of the not starting ?
I just called my dealer....they can't get me in to see it for 3 WEEKS! can you believe that? MISSION MOTORSPORTS BTW. So I called another dealer nearby DEL AMO MOTORSPORTS and they said bring it in at your earliest convenience. Goodbye mission motorsports! LOL. As soon as I find out what happened I'll post it back here for everyone. Thanks for asking.

Frank

· SpyderRyders
3,440 Posts
I just called my dealer....they can't get me in to see it for 3 WEEKS! can you believe that? MISSION MOTORSPORTS BTW. So I called another dealer nearby DEL AMO MOTORSPORTS and they said bring it in at your earliest convenience. Goodbye mission motorsports! LOL. As soon as I find out what happened I'll post it back here for everyone. Thanks for asking.

Frank
Sorry for the delay, but I would do the same, find a different dealer, good luck on a quick turn around.

· Registered
150 Posts

Frank
My advice would be to contact the spyder team and tell them your story, it has worked for others, they don't want adead spyder sitting around for three weeks, they want you out there on the road.

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My advice would be to contact the spyder team and tell them your story, it has worked for others, they don't want adead spyder sitting around for three weeks, they want you out there on the road.
Would you happen to know how to contact them? I have no idea? Tow truck gets here in half an hour....I know this isnt going to happen on time. But thanks anyways! I guess I'll have to play with my motorcycles instead

· Registered
1 Posts
Good morning all, I'm a newbie from Indiana. Been reading the posts concerning the D.E.S.S. modules. I recently purchased a 2009 RS SE5--with no keys. I've been able to find keys, ignition switches, as well as dess modules. According to the manual if you replace the switch you have t replace the module also...especially in my case. And I discovered that at one time the switch and module were sold as a set. So, my question is does anyone know if a new module from A is compatible with a switch from B since they'll both have different codes? I thought they should, or at least hope they are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts