Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering moving from 2 wheels to 3, wondering how much importance there is in getting a 3 cylinder and 6 speed as compared to getting a 2 cylinder and 5 speed. And are there years to stay away from.
I currently on a 2011 BMW R1200GS, we do tour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, whiterabbit,

I'm new to this forum too, so welcome! I recently purchased a new 2022 RT Limited and I really like it. I too come from 2-wheeled BMWs (and a few other makes) and have toured quite a bit in the US and other countries (on rented bikes). As I'm approaching 66 years old, my knees and shoulders just aren't as strong as they used to be after torn meniscus and torn rotator cuff surgeries in the past year. My hip is starting to show some wear and tear too. So, I realized that my 2021 Ducati Multistrada 1250 Grand Touring wasn't getting many miles on it, and it was due to the fear of dumping it with my wife riding pillion, that I started to look into the Can Am RT Ltds. I am so glad I did. We've thoroughly enjoyed the secure ride and comforts of three wheels and the amazing space for touring. We live in Vegas, so as soon as the weather cools off a bit, we're planning on trips up to Utah to tour the parks and see the sights. We've owned the RT Limited for a couple of months and we've got over 1500 miles on the clock. Many of those rides were in 100+ degree weather and my wife loves it. She's not a hot-weather person but she enjoys being on the Can Am so much, she'll tolerate the heat just to be on the road.

As for power, the 1.33 liter 115 HP triple with the 6-speed is "just enough" to get the bike moving. We cruise at 80 mph most of the time when we're on the highway. Is it as peppy as the 1200GS? Probably not but it works. I just wish the gas mileage was better though, but given the weight of the RT with all the gear and riding two up, I think it's okay provided you plan your gas stops well. I've not ridden any of the models with the 2-cylinder engines but if you're going to do any touring, two up, I suggest the bigger motor and 6-speed. I'm sure others here will provide their input on the motors.

Btw, we did change out the front shocks to Elkas and the sway bar to a Baja Ron's. Both of those are essential for a much improved ride. It's a night and day improvement in stability and control, as well as comfort. Even my wife noticed the difference after we made those mods.

If you want to buy used, my own research revealed a couple of bad years of Can Ams you'll want to stay away from. There are a lot of articles and YouTube videos online you can learn about the bad years...I'm at work typing this while I eat my lunch at my desk so I don't have those links for you. Sorry.

In summary, my wife and I are absolutely happy with our purchase of the RT Limited. We make excuses to get on the Can Am and look for good breakfast places just to go ride! Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, whiterabbit,

I'm new to this forum too, so welcome! I recently purchased a new 2022 RT Limited and I really like it. I too come from 2-wheeled BMWs (and a few other makes) and have toured quite a bit in the US and other countries (on rented bikes). As I'm approaching 66 years old, my knees and shoulders just aren't as strong as they used to be after torn meniscus and torn rotator cuff surgeries in the past year. My hip is starting to show some wear and tear too. So, I realized that my 2021 Ducati Multistrada 1250 Grand Touring wasn't getting many miles on it, and it was due to the fear of dumping it with my wife riding pillion, that I started to look into the Can Am RT Ltds. I am so glad I did. We've thoroughly enjoyed the secure ride and comforts of three wheels and the amazing space for touring. We live in Vegas, so as soon as the weather cools off a bit, we're planning on trips up to Utah to tour the parks and see the sights. We've owned the RT Limited for a couple of months and we've got over 1500 miles on the clock. Many of those rides were in 100+ degree weather and my wife loves it. She's not a hot-weather person but she enjoys being on the Can Am so much, she'll tolerate the heat just to be on the road.

As for power, the 1.33 liter 115 HP triple with the 6-speed is "just enough" to get the bike moving. We cruise at 80 mph most of the time when we're on the highway. Is it as peppy as the 1200GS? Probably not but it works. I just wish the gas mileage was better though, but given the weight of the RT with all the gear and riding two up, I think it's okay provided you plan your gas stops well. I've not ridden any of the models with the 2-cylinder engines but if you're going to do any touring, two up, I suggest the bigger motor and 6-speed. I'm sure others here will provide their input on the motors.

Btw, we did change out the front shocks to Elkas and the sway bar to a Baja Ron's. Both of those are essential for a much improved ride. It's a night and day improvement in stability and control, as well as comfort. Even my wife noticed the difference after we made those mods.

If you want to buy used, my own research revealed a couple of bad years of Can Ams you'll want to stay away from. There are a lot of articles and YouTube videos online you can learn about the bad years...I'm at work typing this while I eat my lunch at my desk so I don't have those links for you. Sorry.

In summary, my wife and I are absolutely happy with our purchase of the RT Limited. We make excuses to get on the Can Am and look for good breakfast places just to go ride! Happy Hunting!
Thank you, my wife recently stopped riding her F650GS twin after riding on two wheels for over 100,000 miles.
I think she would feel better on 3 wheels now, hell I might too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you, my wife recently stopped riding her F650GS twin after riding on two wheels for over 100,000 miles.
I think she would feel better on 3 wheels now, hell I might too.
Wow. Your wife has over 100k miles in the saddle? That's impressive!! The little GS is a very good bike. I miss my 2005 GS a lot. I used to smoke sportbike guys in the So. California canyons with that bike. I had Ohlins shocks made for me that were 1" shorter and it not only helped me with seat height, it also improved handling in the twisties. I loved that bike and I never should have sold it to get the then-new generation Ducati Multistrada (which pretty much sucked from a handling perspective but was good on power). Anyways, I think after a thousand miles on an RT, you and your wife will become accustomed to the riding and handling nuances of a 3-wheeler. It's very confidence-inspiring to know that you won't tip over at stop lights or feel uneasy on bad roads. Plus, there are a ton of after-market accessories ("farkles" as they say in BMW circles) you can get to make your RT special. I do miss a normal 2-wheeled bike but I can get another one any day. I'm hankering a Moto Guzzi right now that might give me enough fun for a quick ride down the Strip and into the mountains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am keeping my 2011 R1200GS to give me the option of 2 or 3 wheels. I also lowered my GS and removed the ESA. The CanAm will be for her solo, or us two up. The R1200GS is my 11th BMW with a total of 573,383 BMW miles. By the way my wife didn't start riding until she was 58, and logged the 100,000 in 9 years. We have been to Alaska 3 times Newfoundland twice and Labrador once, all of Canada and US states except Hawaii. I just don't think I am ready to be without a BMW yet.
If I get the 2012 CanAm RT I will most likely upgrade the suspension.
Really nice communicating with you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am keeping my 2011 R1200GS to give me the option of 2 or 3 wheels. I also lowered my GS and removed the ESA. The CanAm will be for her solo, or us two up. The R1200GS is my 11th BMW with a total of 573,383 BMW miles. By the way my wife didn't start riding until she was 58, and logged the 100,000 in 9 years. We have been to Alaska 3 times Newfoundland twice and Labrador once, all of Canada and US states except Hawaii. I just don't think I am ready to be without a BMW yet.
If I get the 2012 CanAm RT I will most likely upgrade the suspension.
Really nice communicating with you.
Wow. Thanks for sharing. I've had 5 BMWs and 6 Ducatis over the years. I tend to switch back and forth depending on whatever I'm hankering at the time. I've also had 4 Triumphs and a few other brands. I didn't keep track of my miles but I'm sure it's well over 200k miles total over the years, including thousands on the race track. Anyways, I've always wanted to ride from L.A. to Alaska but never had the time to do it, and none of my riding buddies were into long distance riding. Oh well. I'm retiring next year and I'll have more time to ride. My bucket list ride is the 4 corners of the US. Maybe there's another BMW in my future!

I think you'll like the Can Am RT. Go to Can-Am Spyder Accessories and start making a list of farkles you'll want to add to make the bike yours. Pierre and Lidia are very knowledgeable and good people. If you do get the 2012 RT, let me know (by PM) and I'll send you a new Front Trunk Luggage Bags from them. I had ordered the one for my 2022 but they sent me the wrong one (for pre-2022 RTs) and told me to keep it and give it to someone in the Can Am community (and to mention it was from CanAmAccessories.com). So, if you get your 2012, it's yours for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. Thanks for sharing. I've had 5 BMWs and 6 Ducatis over the years. I tend to switch back and forth depending on whatever I'm hankering at the time. I've also had 4 Triumphs and a few other brands. I didn't keep track of my miles but I'm sure it's well over 200k miles total over the years, including thousands on the race track. Anyways, I've always wanted to ride from L.A. to Alaska but never had the time to do it, and none of my riding buddies were into long distance riding. Oh well. I'm retiring next year and I'll have more time to ride. My bucket list ride is the 4 corners of the US. Maybe there's another BMW in my future!

I think you'll like the Can Am RT. Go to Can-Am Spyder Accessories and start making a list of farkles you'll want to add to make the bike yours. Pierre and Lidia are very knowledgeable and good people. If you do get the 2012 RT, let me know (by PM) and I'll send you a new Front Trunk Luggage Bags from them. I had ordered the one for my 2022 but they sent me the wrong one (for pre-2022 RTs) and told me to keep it and give it to someone in the Can Am community (and to mention it was from CanAmAccessories.com). So, if you get your 2012, it's yours for free.
Thank you I will for sure take up on that off. If you do the four corners let me know I have beers on ice. The BMW MOA national is in Doswell VA next, stop by and hang our with us.
A note for your retirement years, "The big paper comes on Sunday all the rest are Saturday" and every morning you get up you are on schedule.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts