Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can imagine US laws may be different but here is a problem I am facing here in BC Canada in regards to getting my Licence for my Can Am Spyder.
At this point I do not have my MotorCycle licence, in order to be able to test drive my Spyder in April local laws require that I have my learners permit.

I went and sucessfully wrote my learners test and received my learners permit but ICBC the Government corporation that regulates motor vehicle insurance here in BC tells me that in order for me to obtain my actual Motorcycle drivers licence I will have to take the road test on an actual 2 wheel motorcycle.

I am a little upset about this little loop hole and was wondering if anyone here officially associated with Can Am are involved in the decision making process that local US State and Canadian Provincial laws are drafting in regards to the Can Am Spyder and it's Licencing requirements ?

A few things I have noticed in our regulations here in BC that determine if a bike licence is needed are

Tire width : any motor cycle that has wheels 10" in width are not classed as a motorcycle and dont require a motor cycle licence to operate

Transmission: If a clutch is not needed to operate a motorcycle again a class 6 bike licence is not required

Since the Spyder's wheels are wider and there is an optional automatic transmission available it almost sounds like the Spyder can fall into the moped catagory

Does anybody have any comments on this ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can imagine US laws may be different but here is a problem I am facing here in BC Canada in regards to getting my Licence for my Can Am Spyder.
At this point I do not have my MotorCycle licence, in order to be able to test drive my Spyder in April local laws require that I have my learners permit.

I went and sucessfully wrote my learners test and received my learners permit but ICBC the Government corporation that regulates motor vehicle insurance here in BC tells me that in order for me to obtain my actual Motorcycle drivers licence I will have to take the road test on an actual 2 wheel motorcycle.

I am a little upset about this little loop hole and was wondering if anyone here officially associated with Can Am are involved in the decision making process that local US State and Canadian Provincial laws are drafting in regards to the Can Am Spyder and it's Licencing requirements ?

A few things I have noticed in our regulations here in BC that determine if a bike licence is needed are

Tire width : any motor cycle that has wheels 10" in width are not classed as a motorcycle and dont require a motor cycle licence to operate

Transmission: If a clutch is not needed to operate a motorcycle again a class 6 bike licence is not required

Since the Spyder's wheels are wider and there is an optional automatic transmission available it almost sounds like the Spyder can fall into the moped catagory

Does anybody have any comments on this ?
I'm in Manitoba and it sounds like it's the same here except you can take the road test with a 3 wheeler and if you pass you are limited only to 3 wheelers, not motorcycles. you have to take the test on a 2 wheel motorcycle to have a full motorcycle licence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Manitoba and it sounds like it's the same here except you can take the road test with a 3 wheeler and if you pass you are limited only to 3 wheelers, not motorcycles. you have to take the test on a 2 wheel motorcycle to have a full motorcycle licence.
Ok so what your saying is that if you only ride the Spyder then you will only have the learners licence ?
Seems weird since you can only have the learners for 6 months at a time

Ross

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok so what your saying is that if you only ride the Spyder then you will only have the learners licence ?
Seems weird since you can only have the learners for 6 months at a time

Ross
Here in manitoba you can have your learners permit as long as you want. but there are restrictions with a learners, day time only, no passengers, and no pulling trailers, You have to wait min 9 months before taking the road test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts