Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a chance to hop on the 08 KTM 525 XC and here are my thoughts

Test sight: Smith Powersports parking lot (boss said don't get it dirty)

Overall: Buy this and win races - yes it's that good.

Power: Faster than Kawi's and Zuk's 450's - Honda's R can't touch it and will not be further mentioned
The delivery is VERY potent but manageable. The suspension/engine combo work extremely well to put down the power and allow you to control wheelie degree. On a good take off - sitting on the tank you can take off full throttle and carry the front wheels 8-14" through the power band, shift to second the wheels stay a little lower in the air and in third it's all the suspension can do to keep the wheels touching the pavement. That's to say a little chop and you could bring this thing up in 3rd no sweat. The definitions of over used words such a linear take on a new respect when you ride something that actually defines the word in which you are choosing to use. So there again I'll say the delivery of power is liner, and manageable. There aren't any surprises awaiting you when you stab the throttle. You know the bike could jump out from under you but you also know it won't take much to control it and keep that from happening.

Suspension: Better than everything else - period (I haven't ridden a DS 450 yet) Now I know I was in a paved parking lot and some of you are thinking "Is this guy kidding" but I assure you, I've ridden a lot of ATV's on varying terrain and I can tell what the hell is going on under me - good and bad - even in a paved lot. My favorite words include smooth and balanced. They are used in regard to this ATV because that's what the suspension is doing. We all know ATV's nose dive when you turn them on flat surfaces and you don't slide the back end around. Some to the point they are unable to comply with the steering input your giving them or dive so hard that you can't continue that degree of turn and have to take a wider course all together. So while the 525 does noes dive enough to bring up the inner rear wheel it's still balanced enough to take sharp turns and speeds greater than the other sport quads I've ridden. I had no issues with it wanting to rise up to two wheels in an unwanted manner - however if I'd tried that wouldn't have been a problem either.

Breaks: It was hard to do stoppies on this ATV because the breaks wanted to lock up both front wheels so easily. The breaks are 100% KTM = amazing. I was able to run this machine up about half way into 3rd gear on our lot before I started slowing down. It's the only ATV that's inspired me to be that reckless on our front lot as I knew I wouldn't have any problem slowing down in time. Now I know some magazines write about how grabby the breaks are on KTM, I think it's bs and a result of being so accustomed to riding Japanese equipment with poor spongy breaks. Grab these things and you're stopping in a hurry, you might even be heading over the bars they are so good. So look these things ARE powerful a little self awareness goes a long way. If you can manage the self control to squeeze not clamp the front break lever you too will understand the magnificence at work here.

So that's my rough and dirty over view. Yes it was tested in a paved parking lot and no I didn't hit a single bump. But I assure you this is one amazing ATV. I felt completely comfortable on it just after I let it get warmed up and that's saying a lot. Finding a machine that you can simply say "Hey driving this thing fast as hell wouldn't be a problem" says a lot. That's how I feel about the 525. I'm not into sport quad racing -too many people are doing it but if after riding that ATV I'd say if I had one at my disposal I would be surprised if I didn't do well in competition with little seat time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good review as far as reviews go, but why mention it here at Can-Am site and not have even mentioned your impressions of the DS450X ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
are all the new ktm quads not on recall for brake failure????
i seen somewhere that they were all to be not used and returned to the dealer immediatly for repairs??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good review as far as reviews go, but why mention it here at Can-Am site and not have even mentioned your impressions of the DS450X ?
MrDoEverything said:
Suspension: Better than everything else - period (I haven't ridden a DS 450 yet)
2nd, because it's some of the new hotness on the market right now, I've got the unit at my disposal, I said I would in another post and I figured the more knowledge floating around there the better. Albeit it is a Can-Am forum ;)

are all the new ktm quads not on recall for brake failure????
They do have a break recall on them. I'm not sure to what parts availability is currently looking like for the recall.

Josh

·
Registered
62 Posts
2nd, because it's some of the new hotness on the market right now, I've got the unit at my disposal, I said I would in another post and I figured the more knowledge floating around there the better. Albeit it is a Can-Am forum ;)
They do have a break recall on them. I'm not sure to what parts availability is currently looking like for the recall.

Josh
all the recall is, is the caliper bracket. they are all recalled and available noe

·
Registered
35 Posts
just thought i read something on that somewhere.thanks guys.
and dont think i was knocking the ktm bikes in any way(i am a huge ktm mx fan),they will have a few bugs with the first few i am sure,but should be a big contender in the race scene for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts