Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't have a motorcycle license. I'm just curious where do I take my Can-Am (when I get it) to get my license? Do I take it to the DMV? Private class 1 on 1 instructor? The instructor won't know what to do since you don't lean and isn't knowledgable with it. I also don't have an interest in a 2 wheeler. I'm also getting the electric manual, so shifting will be different.

I'm just confused!!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think it will depends on your state, but I heard that in New York you would have to take your test on a motorcycle. Just like a trike you can't get your motorcycle license on it.

Later,

Shawn (Spyder-Dude)

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Yeah, it will be state dependant. Give your local DMV a call (it will be painful btw
)

·
Registered
307 Posts
In MA, I suggest taking the first ridership course. This teaches the basics of riding a bike, 2 wheels, starting, shifting, driving. Riding a motorcycle is different than a car, and if you are in ma, these courses will teach you a great deal. At the end, you are presented with a certifercate that will be presented to the DMV, they inturn give you your license. If you have never ridden a motor cycle, relax, find such a course and enjoy, yes you will shift, but they teach you how. Im Ma they are 3 days,,,, 1 night, sat sun.

I did take the advanced course, on a suzuki burgman 650 scooter, no shifting and had no problems at all.

what state are you in?

·
Registered
324 Posts
In MA, I suggest taking the first ridership course. This teaches the basics of riding a bike, 2 wheels, starting, shifting, driving. Riding a motorcycle is different than a car, and if you are in ma, these courses will teach you a great deal. At the end, you are presented with a certifercate that will be presented to the DMV, they inturn give you your license. If you have never ridden a motor cycle, relax, find such a course and enjoy, yes you will shift, but they teach you how. Im Ma they are 3 days,,,, 1 night, sat sun.

I did take the advanced course, on a suzuki burgman 650 scooter, no shifting and had no problems at all.
what state are you in?
I agree you should take the motorcycle safety course. Not only will it be easier to get your license, you will learn valuable safety training. Also, you will learn how to ride a two wheel motorcyle as well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No motorcycle license needed in california.not for three wheelers.
but safety course is good idea so you'll know what to watch for
car's,teenagers on cell,left turners,and dont forget ,speed traps

·
Registered
92 Posts
YUP YUP
Take the course...it will save you lots of grief. My daughter took it this summer...they provide the bikes and everything, and most people pass it. In Connecticut they give you a certificate for the riding part and you just go and take the written portion at the DMV, and even that's computerized. Call the DMV for your state and find out what's needed...it only hurts a little

Teach

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm in the Chicago land and it's really tough to get in the motorcycle courses. If I get my bike in the Spring then I might have to wait until Summer to ride it since it's a gamble which date I can get in the class.

Are there any alternatives without going to the riders course? Or should I just move to California, lol!

Also I will be living in Florida for the Winter so If my Spyder come in then, then I will have it shipped to me. I wonder what the laws are down there? I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm in the Chicago land and it's really tough to get in the motorcycle courses. If I get my bike in the Spring then I might have to wait until Summer to ride it since it's a gamble which date I can get in the class.

Are there any alternatives without going to the riders course? Or should I just move to California, lol!

Also I will be living in Florida for the Winter so If my Spyder come in then, then I will have it shipped to me. I wonder what the laws are down there? I'll have to check it out.
I also live in Chicago area and Illinois will issue a trike license. I decided to get my permit and will probably get a regular motorcycle license. I'm not sure where they will be able to let you take the exam on the
spyder. If you get the trike endorsement on your license you won't be able to ride a motorcycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts