Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 17s in the front but i get vss default and dps default. I c people putting bigger wheels in the front. How are able to do that with out getting error codes??? Please help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put 17s in the front but i get vss default and dps default. I c people putting bigger wheels in the front. How are able to do that with out getting error codes??? Please help.
What year and model spyder do you have??. I have been running 17s with low pros on my 08 GS for a couple years now and never got any codes from them. I just bolted them right on didn't change or modify anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got 215/35R17 on my wheels. There pretty thin especially when compared to stock but haven't had any issues with them or the nanny goen off.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wheels I got from a local wheel shop but my adaptors I got from motorsports technologies 909-514-0091 or you can Google there Web site they made them and got shipped to me in a week. I still haven't got around to posting pics of my bike but here is a link to my album on another spyder site http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1106
I have a 2008 RS sm5. Drove to work and everything was great. Took off the rear rim and replaced it with a new tire with 30psi... Same as factory. Also took off front fenders and stock rims and replaced with 2 - 17x8 American Racing rims on 235/45/17"s. Put them on with custom hub adapter. Long story short I take it for test drive and she lights up like a Christmas tree and goes to limp mode... Starts with DBS? Fault, then abs, then VSS followed by DPS. Great stuff. Usually does it after 1/2-1 mile and over 40-50. I shut it down and fire back up and good to go. Only to happen all over again. I played with PSI's to front/rear but nothing. Please help me! I need suggestions!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2008 RS sm5. Drove to work and everything was great. Took off the rear rim and replaced it with a new tire with 30psi... Same as factory. Also took off front fenders and stock rims and replaced with 2 - 17x8 American Racing rims on 235/45/17"s. Put them on with custom hub adapter. Long story short I take it for test drive and she lights up like a Christmas tree and goes to limp mode... Starts with DBS? Fault, then abs, then VSS followed by DPS. Great stuff. Usually does it after 1/2-1 mile and over 40-50. I shut it down and fire back up and good to go. Only to happen all over again. I played with PSI's to front/rear but nothing. Please help me! I need suggestions!
Sounds like the same problem that Jalcina33 had. Your current tires are taller than my 215/35R17 and I have never had a code pop up. Jalcina33 went with a thinner tire and that fixed the problem. There are no other modifications that need to be made in order for larger wheel to work with out throwing codes. I would suggest a tire size change as the taller tires seem to cause issues. Good luck let us know how you do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like the same problem that Jalcina33 had. Your current tires are taller than my 215/35R17 and I have never had a code pop up. Jalcina33 went with a thinner tire and that fixed the problem. There are no other modifications that need to be made in order for larger wheel to work with out throwing codes. I would suggest a tire size change as the taller tires seem to cause issues. Good luck let us know how you do.
So I have to scrap my new 235/45/17 for 225/35/17 to correct this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with 215/35/18 and causing all of the VSS problems. I was wondering what all of my options are since these are the smalles diameter 18" tire you can get? I don't want to go back to stock wheels or 17" wheels. The options I have seen are to remove the wheel sensors whch would loose all VSS and speedo. Another option is to move the sensors to either the back wheel or the back sensor to the front. Third option would be to put a larger diameter tire on the back. I don't really like any of these optins though. When I was looking at how the sensors worked I could see a plate on the back side of the rotor with teeth on it for the sensor. Here is my main question: Since my tires are about 6.5% larger than stock, do you think it would work if I made a plate with 6.5% more teeth on it so the sensor would think the tire is rotating faster? I have not heard anyone try this and I can't see why it wouldn't work? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody know any reason why adding teeth to this plate would not work? Haven't tried it yet but should be able to test this theory in a few days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2k15 Can Am Spyder RS, put some 17 inch wheels on it. Immediately threw the VBS out of whack. Took it to the local shop, and they have no clue on how to repair it. So, are you guys saying it's as simple as replacing my tires with 215/35/17 size tires? Because, the shop where I purchased the wheel adapters stated, I would have to relocate the back sensors to the front; and I have no idea as to how to do that. Obviously, neither does my local Spyder Service shop. Does anyone have any advice that can assist me? Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts