Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found the discussion on the "is a helmet required in CA" thread interesting. A lot of folks have chimed in with "you should always wear a helmet". That is my stance too...I was the guy wearing a fullface Shoei on my cruiser with leather trim (yes, it didn't go well...but).

I makes sense that since the Spyder is marketed toward a crowd of open air riders that want more safety...most would promote wearing a helmet while riding.

I wonder when Spyders start hitting the roads in no helmet states like PA and OH if we will see many helmetless riders?

·
Registered
352 Posts
If I had to wear a helmet, I wouldn't be riding any motorcycle nor would I have ordered a Spyder. A car with the windows open gives more of an open air feeling than riding a bike with a full face helmet !! It's great that Florida doesn't have a helmet law for adults with health insurance !!

Richard

·
Registered
307 Posts
If I had to wear a helmet, I wouldn't be riding any motorcycle nor would I have ordered a Spyder. A car with the windows open gives more of an open air feeling than riding a bike with a full face helmet !! It's great that Florida doesn't have a helmet law for adults with health insurance !!
Richard
This may be true, but I have seen first hand what a brain looks like after inpact with a car with out a helmet. I have seen what happens to the body, and to the family in the aftermath of that decision. I will NEVER go with out one, my family means to much to me to allow them to go with out a dad because I was to into the open are thing not to wear a helmet.
bones, arms, legs can be healed or amputated if bad enough, our ribs liver, kidneys can be replaced / healed up. once the brain goes squish, your done,,,,, Ill wear a helmet,,, period, regardless if the law says I dont or do.

I am not putting down anybody that wishes to ride with out one, that is your choice, we all make our choices based on experiences. Mine was tramatic and life lasting. Sh*t happens, but a helmet lessens the damage.

ride safe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This may be true, but I have seen first hand what a brain looks like after inpact with a car with out a helmet. I have seen what happens to the body, and to the family in the aftermath of that decision. I will NEVER go with out one, my family means to much to me to allow them to go with out a dad because I was to into the open are thing not to wear a helmet.
bones, arms, legs can be healed or amputated if bad enough, our ribs liver, kidneys can be replaced / healed up. once the brain goes squish, your done,,,,, Ill wear a helmet,,, period, regardless if the law says I dont or do.

I am not putting down anybody that wishes to ride with out one, that is your choice, we all make our choices based on experiences. Mine was tramatic and life lasting. Sh*t happens, but a helmet lessens the damage.

ride safe.
Well it's like the old days when kids rode a bike without a helmet. The dumb one's would suffer but now we protect the dumb ones so they can grow up to have other dumb kids who ride without a helmet. Nature does take care of the stupid ones. Its ok guys, ride without helmets, get your head squashed like an egg and then there will be more women and beer for the rest of us!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well it's like the old days when kids rode a bike without a helmet. The dumb one's would suffer but now we protect the dumb ones so they can grow up to have other dumb kids who ride without a helmet. Nature does take care of the stupid ones. Its ok guys, ride without helmets, get your head squashed like an egg and then there will be more women and beer for the rest of us!
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
kull the herd,,,, LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
352 Posts

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
kull the herd,,,, LOL LOL LOL
In the 25 plus years I spent on the PD I saw more than my share of auto and bike accidents. I still chose to ride without a helmet to be more aware of my surroundings. A helmet limits visability and hearing. It gives a false sense of security. I'd rather be killed at the accident scene than wind up being a vegetable like so many helmet wearers will.

Each to his own...that's why we are adults and should be allowed to "think" for ourselves.

Richard

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know when I asked this question on helmets whether helmets are legal or not I was not looking for everyones opinion on helmets and what can happen. I know what can happen. It was a general question.
Please get your bikes so you do not provide me all the sad helmet stories.
AMEN
Yeah, I started this thread seperate from yours to get people's thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Each to his own...that's why we are adults and should be allowed to "think" for ourselves.
Richard
You DONT live in MA, you see, MA is also called the Nanny state, because you have to get permission from the "administration" to do anything lol lol Helmets are the law here, many wish that was not true, many have no opinion, some feel you should always wear one. we all stand on one of these spots.

BTW??? most impacts on a bike are due to being either t-boned or left turn in front of us (at least in the North east). I wonder how a spyder, with the frame and wider wheels will stand up. Where it is considered a "roadster" did it have to go through crash testing??

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You DONT live in MA, you see, MA is also called the Nanny state, because you have to get permission from the "administration" to do anything lol lol Helmets are the law here, many wish that was not true, many have no opinion, some feel you should always wear one. we all stand on one of these spots.

BTW??? most impacts on a bike are due to being either t-boned or left turn in front of us (at least in the North east). I wonder how a spyder, with the frame and wider wheels will stand up. Where it is considered a "roadster" did it have to go through crash testing??
I suspect the Spyder will hold up pretty well...and the rider will become a missile. Tuck and roll...and don't land on your head (with or without a helmet).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
In Michigan we still have to wear helmets. Trying to get it passed but our governess says she will veto it.

I think it should be a personal choice of each adult rider. Ditto on seatbelts. Now, if you choose NOT to wear a helmet or seatbelt then your insurance company should have the right to gouge you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
In Michigan we still have to wear helmets. Trying to get it passed but our governess says she will veto it.

I think it should be a personal choice of each adult rider. Ditto on seatbelts. Now, if you choose NOT to wear a helmet or seatbelt then your insurance company should have the right to gouge you.
THE ABILITY TO CHOOSE IS PARAMOUNT. The whole seatbelt law is a bogus money-maker. Same with helmets. There are a hundred ways to become injured every day. Wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle wont save you. Thousands of motorcycle drivers die every year, most while wearing a helmet.

Oh, and what the frigg is a "governess"?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
THE ABILITY TO CHOOSE IS PARAMOUNT. The whole seatbelt law is a bogus money-maker. Same with helmets. There are a hundred ways to become injured every day. Wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle wont save you. Thousands of motorcycle drivers die every year, most while wearing a helmet.

Oh, and what the frigg is a "governess"?
First of all, a "governess" is referring to our female Governor.

Secondly, I see the results of not wearing seatbelts or helmets quite often in my job. I am an EMT. Do they always prevent death or injury, no. But more times than not, they prevent an injury that would have been worse if they had not been wearing that helmet or belt. I agree that sometimes they save a life that would have been better off dead, but that is a minority of the time. I also agree that as adults we should be offered the choice rather than forced into our decisions. My husband and I just had this conversation with his father not too long ago. It was interesting because he brought up the cost of insurance issue. He is of the belief that if people don't wear their belts and helmets that there are more injuries and our insurance costs go up and is passed on to all of us. That may be true, I'm not sure. But on the other hand, he smokes and feels he has a right to and doesn't that raise the cost of health insurance because of all the health hazards due to smoking and second hand smoke. We just can't protect everyone from everything or we would all sit in our homes and rot away to nothing. All that being said. I will always ride with a helmet and I always drive with a seatbelt, even if I don't like it. I will admit though, if the Michigan law didn't require a helmet, I would be tempted to go without. But only tempted.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was in Cleveland last week and Ohio is a no helmet law state. I was amazed at the % of motorcycle riders (didn't see any Spyders) that don't wear helmets. I would estimate 60-70% at least. I will admit to being a card carrying member of the "helmets should be mandatory" club...but I was still surprised that so many choose to ride without helmets.

I know I wouldn't enjoy the ride...but must be many feel differently.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We ran a funeral home for many years, I've seen first hand what can happen with and without helmets.
Regardless of the law, I will always wear one. Just for the sake of my next of kin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would say theres a high likelihood of seeing the Spyders in PA with no helmet. It feels so safe, why bother...
I am a fire chief in Pa. and a spyder owner. I have 18 yrs. of service and let me be the first to encourage any rider to wear a helmet. I have seen many veteran riders and new riders get life flighted due to the lack of a helmet and those were the lucky ones. I have also seen many minor to mild accidents end in death do to a head injury from lack of a helmet. It also drives up everyone's insurance. I like the feeling of the air as much as the next guy but I also love being able to spend time with the ones I love. Remember if you get hurt or killed your family suffers too. I don't mean to preach but it IS NOT WORTH THE RISK. I have seen it to many times. Be safe!! Beerman

·
Registered
124 Posts
This supposed to be a "free" country right? so why cant a legal adult make a decision that will only potentially affect himself/herself (i know that it could affect your family to if you die, but here me out)? I am also not saying i would do it, but i would like the choice as a free american to decide if i want brain soup or not
i have never found a windshield that didnt protect my eyes from watering and never liked the limitations of a full face helmet. so im hoping that when i get my spyder the new adjustable windshield will do as its promised so i can wear half helmets. there has been times where i couldnt see very well looking over my shoulder for cars coming up behind me because i am a big guy with huge shoulders and arms and no neck
i cant turn my head and see so well out of the full face. I am just saying that in our country we are told what to do alot more than we'd like to be, and the problem is if we try to pass a law for helmets or seat belts, the do-gooders will always vote against us even though it doesnt apply to them. im asking for the choice doesnt mean it will be chosen.

·
Founder / Vice President - San Francisco Bay Area
1,437 Posts
While in Arizona and Las Vegas I admit I took advantage of the no helmet law to a small degree. It was cool riding without a helmet as I do believe that people should have the right as an adult to choose to protect themselves when operating a vehicle I just feel safer wearing a helmet and my seatbelt. A seatbelt saved my life when I rolled my car over three times at the age of 18. I'll never go without either.

I am considering a 3/4 face helmet for riding in the warmer months because my vision is not as good with my full face helmet on, but I will always have a helmet on.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well up here in Canada helmets are mandatory. The reasoning behind most of this is we have Federal and Provincal medicare that comes from the tax payers money. If you are in an accident it is everyones money that will look after you in the hospital. If you are brain damaged and need care it is my money and everybody elses that has to take care of you for 20 or 30 or 40 years. The way I look at it if you don't want to wear a helmet should have have to sign a waiver taking full and sole responsibility for your medical or funeral costs and the tax payers money won't be used. Sure wearing a helmet isn't a guarantee you won't have a head injury but it sure does increase the odds in favor of not having head injuries. Or the rider should have to provide an insurance policy with a provision that would cover medical and legal expenses incurred.
IMHO

1 - 20 of 62 Posts