Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just thought I would jump on, say hello, and see if anyone else is anxiously awaiting their new toy in this neck of the woods.

If so, where are you from?

I am Toronto based, expecting spring delivery.

Take Care!
adree

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine should be here on the 15th I hope!!! Getting a 08 800 max XT with the stealth snorkels and yamaha drain plug. Im in Prince Albert Saskatchewan so we wont be drivin together any time soon lol.

Hello! Just thought I would jump on, say hello, and see if anyone else is anxiously awaiting their new toy in this neck of the woods.

Take Care!
adree

·
Registered
204 Posts

Take Care!
adree
Hey there,I am from Carrying Place Ont, about 1-1/2 hours east of Toronto. I bought mine from Cal Jet in Toronto and am waiting for mine in the spring also.Did you get insurance yet? I went on believerplus.com but they quoted me $1400,I think thats nuts!!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey there,I am from Carrying Place Ont, about 1-1/2 hours east of Toronto. I bought mine from Cal Jet in Toronto and am waiting for mine in the spring also.Did you get insurance yet? I went on believerplus.com but they quoted me $1400,I think thats nuts!!!
Hi there. I am in London, Ont. I am not ready to buy a Spyder just yet. Did a couple of test rides and really loved the machine, but I will wait until they have developed a full touring package (with detachable hard bags, etc.) before I commit. Also, to you listers in Ontario who have already made the purchase, what have you been told about the licensing of Spyders by the Ministry of Transportation? Last I heard, the issue was close to being resolved, but as of this time, Ontario remains the only jurisdiction in North America that refuses to licence them for the road.
Bruce

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys!

Nice to meet you!

I just posted my experience on insurance in the main discussion pages - so I won't repeat myself. You can see my findings there...

Sypderman2 - Congrats on your purchase!!! Keep me posted on your delivery. I'll be curious! I ordered from SnowCity. We can compare experiences....

Director - I had not heard that at all and talked to many dealers (okay, they have bias) who said they were 'road worthy'. Do you have any links you can share?

Overlord---- Is that a Spyder or an off roading toy? Have you taken delivery yet? Enjoy the ride!!

All the best!
adree

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Guys!

Nice to meet you!

I just posted my experience on insurance in the main discussion pages - so I won't repeat myself. You can see my findings there...

Sypderman2 - Congrats on your purchase!!! Keep me posted on your delivery. I'll be curious! I ordered from SnowCity. We can compare experiences....

Director - I had not heard that at all and talked to many dealers (okay, they have bias) who said they were 'road worthy'. Do you have any links you can share?

Overlord---- Is that a Spyder or an off roading toy? Have you taken delivery yet? Enjoy the ride!!

All the best!
adree
Hi ardee. The Spyder is most certainly "roadworthy" everywhere but Ontario. The Ministry of Transportation has told BRP that their (the Ministry's) interpretation of what constitutes a three-wheeled motorcycle is two in the back, one in the front. They do not recognize the "Y" configuration. I read the definition section of the Highway Traffic Act, which states, "'motorcycle' means a self-propelled vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the driver and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and includes a motor scooter, but does not include a motor assisted bicycle". The definition does not state how the three wheels are to be configured, so I do not see where this is coming from, but it has been a stumbling block to licensing the Spyder in Ontario. That is why you may have noticed that at the demonstration rides, all the machines had either U.S. or Quebec plates. Ontario is currently the only jurisdiction in North America that is refusing to licence the roadsters. I understand that talks are proceeding at a high level to correct this anomaly, and hopefully by the time your machine is shipped to you, this will all be sorted out. I don't have any links to provide you. The information I received on the issue was from BRP representatives at the demo rides and over the phone.

Cheers,
Director

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well I see that the US doesn't corner the market on stupid regulations and red tape. I'm sure that someone, somewhere thinks that there is a very good reason for Ontario to be so hung up on the definition of a three wheel motorcycle but I just don't see it. Sounds like the people in charge of the decision could use a good dose of common sense.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well I see that the US doesn't corner the market on stupid regulations and red tape. I'm sure that someone, somewhere thinks that there is a very good reason for Ontario to be so hung up on the definition of a three wheel motorcycle but I just don't see it. Sounds like the people in charge of the decision could use a good dose of common sense.
Yes, bureaucrats are bureaucrats wherever we live!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for taking the time to explain Director! I had not heard that. I had noticed, however, that all the demo bikes had US plates.... But I didn't think twice about it.

Let's hope they get things figured out by spring. Do let us know if you hear anything further!

Take Care,
adree

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to explain Director! I had not heard that. I had noticed, however, that all the demo bikes had US plates.... But I didn't think twice about it.

Let's hope they get things figured out by spring. Do let us know if you hear anything further!

Take Care,
adree
Hi Adree. I will keep my ear to the ground on this issue and will certainly post as soon as I hear anything. I have heard that BRP is very close to bringing the Ontario Ministry of Transportation around, but nothing definite yet.

Best regards,
Director

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Adree. I will keep my ear to the ground on this issue and will certainly post as soon as I hear anything. I have heard that BRP is very close to bringing the Ontario Ministry of Transportation around, but nothing definite yet.

Best regards,
Director
One soloution would be to ride everywhere backwards

·
tonga
439 Posts
One soloution would be to ride everywhere backwards
Just got onto this site and now we are into Nov waiting for Ontario deliveries. I for one am a bit upset about the Canadian pricing, with our Dollar at $107.00 US. I wonder if BRP will adjust the MSP. or are we locked into it with our deposits down. The Spyder I ordered wont be built till next year so am wondeing?? The Insurance is another thing !! I was told by a dealer a long time ago that it should be resonable with three wheels and all the safety features but some companies don't want it !!! I am looking now for the best rate and so far Believers plus at $1267.00 is the lowest. If the Spyder had only two wheels, cut that by a third. No history I have been told. I also wish the Rotax engine didn't have bucket over shim valve adjustment !!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just got onto this site and now we are into Nov waiting for Ontario deliveries. I for one am a bit upset about the Canadian pricing, with our Dollar at $107.00 US. I wonder if BRP will adjust the MSP. or are we locked into it with our deposits down. The Spyder I ordered wont be built till next year so am wondeing?? The Insurance is another thing !! I was told by a dealer a long time ago that it should be resonable with three wheels and all the safety features but some companies don't want it !!! I am looking now for the best rate and so far Believers plus at $1267.00 is the lowest. If the Spyder had only two wheels, cut that by a third. No history I have been told. I also wish the Rotax engine didn't have bucket over shim valve adjustment !!
Tonga, here is the post I put on another thread on this list. This is the latest from BRP:

From an article in the Toronto Globe and Mail on November 1, 2007:

"Meanwhile, Bombardier spin-off BRP also announced that it is offering $750 off its Can-Am ATV and Ski-Doo '05 to 2008 snowmobiles, excluding racing models and the all-new Can-Am Spyder roadster three-wheeler, which gets a year-long extension of its two-year warranty instead.

BRP is still reeling from reports that American BRP dealers are facing a crackdown on sales to Canadians by the Quebec-based maker of all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, and as of mid-September this year, a unique three-wheeled motorcycle that the firm hopes will become a hit throughout North America and in Europe, when it launches next year. The first Can-Am Spyder Roadster, as it's called, went to noted car and bike aficionado and Tonight Show host Jay Leno.

"Definitely, it's a sensitive time," when it comes to pricing on both sides of the border, said BRP vice president of communications Pierre Pichette. BRP has also raised the American price of the Spyder Roadster by $500, but it's still about three thousand dollars less than its equivalent Canadian MSRP, although the extra year warranty in Canada is valued at $1,000 by BRP.

"When you reach par, it's a whole different ballgame," said Pichette in an interview early this week."

So the Spyder's price will remain the same in Canada, will be increased by $500 in the U.S., and BRP is going to extend the warranty one more year in Canada. Not exactly what everyone was hoping for, but I guess it is something. As Dr. Evil said in Austin Powers, "Come on people, throw me a bone here!"

In other words, we Canadians will be getting some relief, but probably not as much as we would like.

·
tonga
439 Posts
Tonga, here is the post I put on another thread on this list. This is the latest from BRP:

From an article in the Toronto Globe and Mail on November 1, 2007:

"Meanwhile, Bombardier spin-off BRP also announced that it is offering $750 off its Can-Am ATV and Ski-Doo '05 to 2008 snowmobiles, excluding racing models and the all-new Can-Am Spyder roadster three-wheeler, which gets a year-long extension of its two-year warranty instead.

BRP is still reeling from reports that American BRP dealers are facing a crackdown on sales to Canadians by the Quebec-based maker of all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, and as of mid-September this year, a unique three-wheeled motorcycle that the firm hopes will become a hit throughout North America and in Europe, when it launches next year. The first Can-Am Spyder Roadster, as it's called, went to noted car and bike aficionado and Tonight Show host Jay Leno.

"Definitely, it's a sensitive time," when it comes to pricing on both sides of the border, said BRP vice president of communications Pierre Pichette. BRP has also raised the American price of the Spyder Roadster by $500, but it's still about three thousand dollars less than its equivalent Canadian MSRP, although the extra year warranty in Canada is valued at $1,000 by BRP.

"When you reach par, it's a whole different ballgame," said Pichette in an interview early this week."

So the Spyder's price will remain the same in Canada, will be increased by $500 in the U.S., and BRP is going to extend the warranty one more year in Canada. Not exactly what everyone was hoping for, but I guess it is something. As Dr. Evil said in Austin Powers, "Come on people, throw me a bone here!"

In other words, we Canadians will be getting some relief, but probably not as much as we would like.
As I have said, I'm new here so Thanks for the info from BRP. The extra warranty helps but if BRP built the Spyder as good as they have been telling everyone, it wont cost them anything as long as it doesn't brake. Good insurance for us though. The dollar is now at $1.08.00 and it might go over $1.10.00US. Think that increasing the Spyder $500.00 in the US is a token. They are still making money or they wouldn't sell them there. What scares me is next year. If the 09's are reduced because of the exchange rate then my resale will go to pot. Other bikes have come down already. Still waiting to see them at the dealer. Maybe I should wait another year to see what happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for sharing Director. I had heard they were not going to let us hop the border and buy, but not that they had thoughts of doing anything nice for the Canadian clientele. That is good news about the Warranty. I'll take it.

I'm still glad I decided to buy a Canadian Product, even if it does cost more here. I know pricing commitments were likely made long before the dollar went par and beyond. Also, good things like a speedometer in km's and a bilingual owners manual for the smaller Canadian market up the price no doubt. At least I am supporting our economy!

Tonga - nice to meet! Where did you buy from?

Hate to say it, but if you signed a contract, I'm betting they'll hold you to the agreed upon price on delivery. Course, if the price changed and you really wanted the new pricing, you could probably get out of your current order, reorder and wait for a new machine at the new price. So long as we can ride them on the road, I believe these will sell quick, so a dealer may not mind letting you out of a contract.

Thanks for the update on your insurance quest too. I guess we're all going to have to see what develops come spring.

Q for anyone who's brought Canadian -- When you read the main threads, there are a lot of people talking about their contract with BRP, mentioning delivery deadlines, etc. Did anyone sign a contract similar to that here? I did not - my agreement is with the dealer only.... Just wondering.

Thanks!
adree

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
[quote name='Adree' date='Nov 6 2007, 12:55 PM' post='13023']
Also, good things like a speedometer in km's and a bilingual owners manual for the smaller Canadian market up the price no doubt. At least I am supporting our economy!

Hi Adree. Just one small amendment to what you said. It is my understanding the Spyder speedometer can be toggled back and forth between miles and kilometres, so I don't think that is an additional cost to BRP. If I am wrong about that, I am sure someone will correct me. However, your statement that there are additional costs for a smaller Canadian market are no doubt generally correct. I guess the real issue for most folks is how much difference is too much. We are not surprised to see inflated prices for the Canadian market, but the gap between Canadian and U.S. prices for the Spyder seems disproportionately high. I too, like to buy a Canadian product when possible. I just don't like to be punished for doing so.

Anyway, it is great that you are happy with your purchase, and you will no doubt have many miles/kilometres of smiles with your Spyder.

Regards,

·
tonga
439 Posts
Thanks for sharing Director. I had heard they were not going to let us hop the border and buy, but not that they had thoughts of doing anything nice for the Canadian clientele. That is good news about the Warranty. I'll take it.

I'm still glad I decided to buy a Canadian Product, even if it does cost more here. I know pricing commitments were likely made long before the dollar went par and beyond. Also, good things like a speedometer in km's and a bilingual owners manual for the smaller Canadian market up the price no doubt. At least I am supporting our economy!

Tonga - nice to meet! Where did you buy from?

Hate to say it, but if you signed a contract, I'm betting they'll hold you to the agreed upon price on delivery. Course, if the price changed and you really wanted the new pricing, you could probably get out of your current order, reorder and wait for a new machine at the new price. So long as we can ride them on the road, I believe these will sell quick, so a dealer may not mind letting you out of a contract.

Thanks for the update on your insurance quest too. I guess we're all going to have to see what develops come spring.

Q for anyone who's brought Canadian -- When you read the main threads, there are a lot of people talking about their contract with BRP, mentioning delivery deadlines, etc. Did anyone sign a contract similar to that here? I did not - my agreement is with the dealer only.... Just wondering.

Thanks!
adree
I checked my contract and it says that if the Spyder is not in by March 31/08 I will get my deposit back. My Dealer told me he expects the Spyders to come in by March, early April. Thats fine with me. My dealer is in Uxbridge. My deposit says it is fully refundable and I haven't worn the Jacket they gave me just in case. Can't imagine being given a problem getting my money back if they are selling so good. I loved the test drives and it is a fun bike to ride. I do have some reservations though. First being the complexity of the electronics which will be better with that 3 year warranty, the Valve adjustment, being bucket over shim and the belt drive. Someone has said their first adjustment was tricky. Seems that the slightest adjustment of the bolts make the belt move left or right. The insurance also bugs me. My Nephew rides a M109 Suzuki (1800 cc) and get Full coverage insurance for less then $900.00 from Riders Plus. I called them and they don't want to insure the Spyder. Can't beleive that, so much safer then a two wheeler. Sounds like I'm complaining but winter is coming I guess. Spring brings new life !!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear you Director. The difference is disapointing, but I've wanted one so bad for so long, I can't afford to let it get me down. I am a sucker for seeing the best of things and keeping positive. What can I say? :rolleyes:
Cool about having both km's & mi's though! Not complaining there!!

Tonqa - Thanks for looking at your contract - appreciate that.
I too have my reservations on the insurance... But just remember the smile on your face after the test ride! It will all be so very worth it. I am hoping it gets better when there are VIN's to register.

I wonder if anyone is on the first round of shipments in Ontario. In light of what Director has shared about the ministry, I'd be curious to know.... And to hear how they get it insured.

What a long winter this will be!! Bring on March!

Cheers,
adree

·
tonga
439 Posts
I hear you Director. The difference is disapointing, but I've wanted one so bad for so long, I can't afford to let it get me down. I am a sucker for seeing the best of things and keeping positive. What can I say? :rolleyes:
Cool about having both km's & mi's though! Not complaining there!!

Tonqa - Thanks for looking at your contract - appreciate that.
I too have my reservations on the insurance... But just remember the smile on your face after the test ride! It will all be so very worth it. I am hoping it gets better when there are VIN's to register.

I wonder if anyone is on the first round of shipments in Ontario. In light of what Director has shared about the ministry, I'd be curious to know.... And to hear how they get it insured.

What a long winter this will be!! Bring on March!

Cheers,
adree
Hi Guys. I have been looking at the posts and wish more would be written on the first rides by the new owners. Guess we need more time. Looks like a couple of problems but small issues except for the broken belt. I don't like the long belt and lack of a guide on both sides of the rear sproket to keep it on in acceleration or deceleration. I know we drove the crap on our test drives but it still has me wondering. Not much in the owners manual on setting it up. I will want a service manual for sure. My dealer told me he would call me when his first units come in but will call him tomorrow!!! Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I checked my contract and it says that if the Spyder is not in by March 31/08 I will get my deposit back. My Dealer told me he expects the Spyders to come in by March, early April. Thats fine with me. My dealer is in Uxbridge. My deposit says it is fully refundable and I haven't worn the Jacket they gave me just in case. Can't imagine being given a problem getting my money back if they are selling so good. I loved the test drives and it is a fun bike to ride. I do have some reservations though. First being the complexity of the electronics which will be better with that 3 year warranty, the Valve adjustment, being bucket over shim and the belt drive. Someone has said their first adjustment was tricky. Seems that the slightest adjustment of the bolts make the belt move left or right. The insurance also bugs me. My Nephew rides a M109 Suzuki (1800 cc) and get Full coverage insurance for less then $900.00 from Riders Plus. I called them and they don't want to insure the Spyder. Can't beleive that, so much safer then a two wheeler. Sounds like I'm complaining but winter is coming I guess. Spring brings new life !!!
Tonga, the Uxbridge dealership seems like a first class operation. I did a test-ride with them and they could not have been more accommodating. I live in London, but when it comes time to order a Spyder, I plan to throw my business their way. I really liked the guys I dealt with there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts