Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm certain some of you think or feel. The fact that there is NO hand brake is an unpleasant one. We're all accustom to having the option of using just the rear brake or both if needed not to mention the additional FUN that could be enjoyed if the Spyder had a divided braking system. That being said and with no real personal hands-on time with the Spyder. Is it possible to divide the braking system...anyone, anyone??? Yes, yes, I know it would void the warranty. That fact aside if it were possible to split the braking system, I for one would do so. At some point someone will come up with a way to do it. Just looking for a few current thoughts on the idea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As I'm certain some of you think or feel. The fact that there is NO hand brake is an unpleasant one. We're all accustom to having the option of using just the rear brake or both if needed not to mention the additional FUN that could be enjoyed if the Spyder had a divided braking system. That being said and with no real personal hands-on time with the Spyder. Is it possible to divide the braking system...anyone, anyone??? Yes, yes, I know it would void the warranty. That fact aside if it were possible to split the braking system, I for one would do so. At some point someone will come up with a way to do it. Just looking for a few current thoughts on the idea.
I think it would be a much larger undertaking than one might initially believe. The brakes are integrated not only in the anti-lock braking system, but also in the stability systems. Dividing the brakes might mean disrupting those systems, and that wouldn't be good.

I suppose it could be possible to piggyback some hydrualic lines to the individual brakes, add a front lever that only ran to the front piggyback, and change the rear to a similar setup, but then when you squeezed the front brake you might get hydrualic feedback trhough the stability system, again, could be a very bad thing.

I think the most likely system we will see is a front brake lever integrated into the cocupled brake system, operating, in essence, just like the brake foot lever.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How about a cable set up to operate the foot brake?
The only reason I see that they should add the option for a hand brake is for the many paralyzed people the
will be purchasing the Spyder. Of course others will get it, but once you ride the Spyder, you will probably
not want a hand brake.
When your body weight moves forward, it does so in almost perfect unison with the foot and then to the brake. The hard the force the harder the brake is applied.
You really get a good connection with the road with the foot brake.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i think a hand brake would be nice for disabled people. and also like the idea of not having to move your foot to use brake.(would also keep you from riding the brake ,maybe not so bad now that they have moved the foot brake lever lower) hand brake hooked up by cable to the foot brake so all brakes work same . sounds simple enough so i'll see when spyder arrives..

·
Registered
204 Posts
I took the Spyder for a ride and was grabbing for the front brake lever at every stop.I think if they added a right hand handle bar brake lever it would be alot better and it would give your foot a rest..

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
Brakes, brakes, brakes.... GIVE THE THROTTLE. I really do not want to even think of trying to stop both front wheels with the power in my hand. Your leg has 20 times the strength of your hand. I had it well over 80 mph and slammed on the brakes. It stopped totally under control and on a quarter. They did it right over 5 years of research. IT is not a motorcycle. They have said all along, IT IS NOT A MOTORCYCle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got the chance to ride the Spyder for 600 miles 1 weekend and for the first 1 hour my hands search for the hand brake but after that ... no more..... so why do you want one so bad.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I tend to agree. At first I grabbed for the hand brake, but only for a short while. I wouldn't mind a hand brake, but I don't think it will be an issue for most.

I got the chance to ride the Spyder for 600 miles 1 weekend and for the first 1 hour my hands search for the hand brake but after that ... no more..... so why do you want one so bad.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Perhaps the biggest issue will be with riders who get used to the Spyder not having a hand brake. When they switch back to occasionally riding a motor cycle they might forget that you have to use the hand lever to activate the front wheel brakes. This could be a dangerous situation !

Richard

·
Registered
62 Posts
Perhaps the biggest issue will be with riders who get used to the Spyder not having a hand brake. When they switch back to occasionally riding a motor cycle they might forget that you have to use the hand lever to activate the front wheel brakes. This could be a dangerous situation !
Richard
And if they forget to put a foot down at a stop sign they will fall over too..... I hope that people that cannot remember what they are riding stay off the road. Try an old Triumph with right foot shifting and left foot braking for some real excitement.

Everyone will be fine I am sure. There was plenty of research done before they decided to delete the hand brake lever I am sure. The Goldwing had both so the system was not out of the question. We will all just get used to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is the same as the owner of two cars, one manual and one automatic, it has to adapt to each vehicle. It is better to leave the spyder as it is, if it is amended, which makes BRP.

ROUTES AND GOOD LUCK WITH LARGE MACHINE
Pardon my English, using a translator of Google.
Manuel, Spain (Canary Islands).

·
The Rain Rider
436 Posts
Consider this week's recall on all units for the problem in the brakeline. If the primary brake fails, the only alternative secondary brake would be the parking brake. In an emergency, kicking down on the parking brake lever behind the footpeg feels awkward. You would really have to know the brake lever's exact location without looking down. Recommend a secondary brake in a more practical location.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Consider this week's recall on all units for the problem in the brakeline. If the primary brake fails, the only alternative secondary brake would be the parking brake. In an emergency, kicking down on the parking brake lever behind the footpeg feels awkward. You would really have to know the brake lever's exact location without looking down. Recommend a secondary brake in a more practical location.
though this sounds like a good idea, the whole system is linked together through the abs unit so if the system fails, the hand brake won't work either. the only way to make a backup system is if you build a complete secondary brake system.

also, as i understand the brake failure that is the source of the recall happened while the dealers were setting up the bikes, not something that happened after the customers had the bikes. so this was not a true failure of the brakes but just a pre-delivery bleeding issue.

·
The Rain Rider
436 Posts
Primary systems have the chance to fail. A separate secondary brake system would be a wise idea. For the units out now, it is the parking brake until a better system is added. "What if" the next brake failure on the open road and would cost of a life could have been prevented if a secondary brake system was used?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I tend to agree. At first I grabbed for the hand brake, but only for a short while. I wouldn't mind a hand brake, but I don't think it will be an issue for most.
EVERYBODY!!!! GET OVER THE HANDBRAKE THING! I HAVE TWO MOTORCYCLES AND THE SPYDER. I DRIVE BOTH ALL THE TIME. IT DOESNT TAKE A GENIOUS TO FIGURE IT ALL OUT! GET OVER THE HAND BRAKE!!!! ITS TOTALLY BS!....NOW IF YOU'RE HANDICAPPED, MAYBE YOU SHOULDNT BE DRIVING A MACHINE WITH 106 HORSEPOWER OUT IN THE OPEN AIR. COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!

·
Registered
86 Posts
EVERYBODY!!!! GET OVER THE HANDBRAKE THING! I HAVE TWO MOTORCYCLES AND THE SPYDER. I DRIVE BOTH ALL THE TIME. IT DOESNT TAKE A GENIOUS TO FIGURE IT ALL OUT! GET OVER THE HAND BRAKE!!!! ITS TOTALLY BS!....NOW IF YOU'RE HANDICAPPED, MAYBE YOU SHOULDNT BE DRIVING A MACHINE WITH 106 HORSEPOWER OUT IN THE OPEN AIR. COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!
Take a deep breath....now exhale.

This hand brake thing is nothing more than another discussion about a possible mod. Will you keep your Spyder completely bone stock? Thinkin about an aftermarket exhaust, risers, maybe a paint job? If so, then its just your wanting to make the vehicle work for you, same as the ones who want a hand brake for themselves.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.