Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Spyder RTS SE5 a couple weeks ago and just got around to changing the oil and air filter this weekend. Oddly enough, when I popped open the air filter housing, I immediately smelled gasoline. Once I wrenched the air filter out and gave it a sniff... gas. This seems odd. I did a little research and and everything I found related to issues with carburators, and nothing concerning fuel injected engines. Am I looking at a possible serious issue here?

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it runs OK don't worry about it. Some of the emissions equipment ends up causing a smell of gas in the air box on modern engines. If it is spitting and coughing on the overrun I would investigate further, but if it accelerates and decelerates fine and the fuel consumption is roughly where it needs to be I think you are good to go.

If the filter isn't soggy or absolutely dripping in gas and you cannot see gas being blown back into the air box from the air intakes when the filter is removed I would say you are OK too.

All of my bikes and some of my cars smell from a bit of gas in the air filter, especially if the filter is close to the intakes.

You might even find there is a pipe from the crankcase breather to the air box to recirculate un-burnt gases from the crank case back into the air intake to re-burn the emissions vapors.

I would worry, however, if the injectors spit back into the air box as you rev it a bit with the filter removed, or if a lot of un-burnt fuel is coming back from the crankcase breather into the air box. A lot of fuel vapor in the crankcase is not a good idea as you will be getting your oil contaminated with fuel.

Your air box may also even have a drain hose to the bottom of the bike that if you pinch the end it will let any fluids from the air box drain out. It this pipe isn't full of fuel and just has a few cc's of fuel, oil or water that's also not an issue. Typically on modern engines though, the air box should be reasonably dry and it might not even have such a drain.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it runs OK don't worry about it. Some of the emissions equipment ends up causing a smell of gas in the air box on modern engines. If it is spitting and coughing on the overrun I would investigate further, but if it accelerates and decelerates fine and the fuel consumption is roughly where it needs to be I think you are good to go.

If the filter isn't soggy or absolutely dripping in gas and you cannot see gas being blown back into the air box from the air intakes when the filter is removed I would say you are OK too.

All of my bikes and some of my cars smell from a bit of gas in the air filter, especially if the filter is close to the intakes.

You might even find there is a pipe from the crankcase breather to the air box to recirculate un-burnt gases from the crank case back into the air intake to re-burn the emissions vapors.

I would worry, however, if the injectors spit back into the air box as you rev it a bit with the filter removed, or if a lot of un-burnt fuel is coming back from the crankcase breather into the air box. A lot of fuel vapor in the crankcase is not a good idea as you will be getting your oil contaminated with fuel.

Your air box may also even have a drain hose to the bottom of the bike that if you pinch the end it will let any fluids from the air box drain out. It this pipe isn't full of fuel and just has a few cc's of fuel, oil or water that's also not an issue. Typically on modern engines though, the air box should be reasonably dry and it might not even have such a drain.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! You've given me a good list of things to check out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts