Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon SpyderRyders. I am interested in hearing from other experienced motorcyclists on their impressions of the Spyder. I am looking at the Spyder as a potential sport-touring machine when it comes time to replace my current ride (1999 Kawasaki Concours) in the next year or two. I have been riding pretty well constantly for 37 years (first obtained my m/c permit in 1970) and have owned several Triumphs, a couple of Yamahas, a Harley Davidson Electra-Glide, a BMW R100RS, and my current machine, the Concours. I have had two opportunities to test-ride the Spyder, the second one a long (one hour) ride two-up with my wife.
My own observations are that it took a little while to become accustomed to the steering/handling of the Spyder, since it is completely unlike a motorcycle in its ride characteristics. I found that the slightest input into the bars resulted in very quick movement of the front end, unlike a single-track vehicle. I also found it difficult to escape the feeling on turns that the inside front wheel was going to lift, although I think that is a very unlikely event, given the sophisticated traction and stability control systems built into the Spyder. Therefore, I found it took a little while to become really smooth on turns and in the curves. I suspect if I had some sled or ATV experience, this would have been a more seamless transition.
At the end of it all, though, I found that I had a grin I just couldn't wipe off my face. I really enjoyed riding this thing. Lots of power, great sound, very smooth, really comfortable saddle. I truly felt this was a machine I could ride all day in comfort.
I realize from BRP's marketing strategy that the Spyder is targeted more at those who don't have a lot of motorcycle experience, or feel intimidated by regular motorcycles, so I wondered if those who have a motorcycle background (and I think there are probably a number of you on this forum) might want to share their thoughts and experiences with the Spyder.
Cheers,
Director

·
Registered
488 Posts
Forty-two years riding experience. 1993 - ST1100. Totalled it in 1996. New 1997 Red 'n white Valkyrie to a 2001 Goldwing to a 2004 VTX 1800. In 2004 I found an ST1100 just like the one I totalled in 1996 and fell back in love with Sport Touring. Purchased 2004 ST1300. Wanted more "sport"; sold ST and purchased 2006 Ducati ST3 and a 2004 Honda VFR 800. Sold them both and now have 2007 Bandit 1250 with Holeshot performance package. The Bandit is my favorite bike so far. That brings me up to the Spyder.

I have ridden it three times - once for about an hour on all types of roads (straights, curves, sweepers, twisties) and speeds (up to 95mph). I have visualized myself riding the Spyder as a Sport Tourer and the visions are good. The riding experience is totally unique and definitely a "smile maker"! It's different and new and I like that..

I've had a couple of accidents in he last few years (pushing the limit) and each time it hurt worse and takes longer to heal. I'm looking at the Spyder as my possible two-wheel replacement and a smore safe oriented sport touring machine!!

The jury is out however, until I actually get my hands on one and compare them sid-by-side. At this time, I have no intentions of getting rid of my Bandit and I can't imagine not having a bike that leans into the curves. My passion is the twisties/sweepers and there is almost nothing better than nailing a corner just right and accelerating out of it from a full lean!!!

I'm thinking that a Spyder and a two-wheeler of some brand will co-exist in my basement for quite some time.

OH .... by-the-way, the 2008 Concours was going to be my next bike until the Spyder entered the scene!!

Go far it ... if you buy the Spyder and it's not your cup-of-tea, for awhile these machines will be at a premium and you could easily sell it for what you paid for it or, more!!

Sam

·
SR Arndt
361 Posts
Good afternoon SpyderRyders. I am interested in hearing from other experienced motorcyclists on their impressions of the Spyder. I am looking at the Spyder as a potential sport-touring machine when it comes time to replace my current ride (1999 Kawasaki Concours) in the next year or two. I have been riding pretty well constantly for 37 years (first obtained my m/c permit in 1970) and have owned several Triumphs, a couple of Yamahas, a Harley Davidson Electra-Glide, a BMW R100RS, and my current machine, the Concours. I have had two opportunities to test-ride the Spyder, the second one a long (one hour) ride two-up with my wife.
My own observations are that it took a little while to become accustomed to the steering/handling of the Spyder, since it is completely unlike a motorcycle in its ride characteristics. I found that the slightest input into the bars resulted in very quick movement of the front end, unlike a single-track vehicle. I also found it difficult to escape the feeling on turns that the inside front wheel was going to lift, although I think that is a very unlikely event, given the sophisticated traction and stability control systems built into the Spyder. Therefore, I found it took a little while to become really smooth on turns and in the curves. I suspect if I had some sled or ATV experience, this would have been a more seamless transition.
At the end of it all, though, I found that I had a grin I just couldn't wipe off my face. I really enjoyed riding this thing. Lots of power, great sound, very smooth, really comfortable saddle. I truly felt this was a machine I could ride all day in comfort.
I realize from BRP's marketing strategy that the Spyder is targeted more at those who don't have a lot of motorcycle experience, or feel intimidated by regular motorcycles, so I wondered if those who have a motorcycle background (and I think there are probably a number of you on this forum) might want to share their thoughts and experiences with the Spyder.
Cheers,
Director
I'd only ridden my bike for 7 years. VF750C Magna.

The wierdest thing to me about riding the spider is not being able to countersteer when I want to make a quick change of direction. I think the other differences will be easier to adjust to. I just hope I unlearn the countersteering habit before I encounter a "panic" avoidence maneuver and end up steering directly into what I'm trying to avoid.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I am a snowmobiler turned biker and I was instantly at home on the Spyder. My business partner Craig is a biker turned snowmobiler and it took him longer to feel comfortable on the Spyder when we had two for our day long review.

I think motorcycle heritage folks will have to "let go" of trying to ride it like a bike. Your mind tells you to ride it like a bike, but it a totally unique ride. It will take some longer than others, but I think everyone will transition without a problem fairly quickly. One thing to keep in mind. You can be "lazy" riding a Spyder, so going back and forth between a Spyder and bike could be interesting.

Click here for my review with all my thoughts on the Spyder

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a snowmobiler turned biker and I was instantly at home on the Spyder. My business partner Craig is a biker turned snowmobiler and it took him longer to feel comfortable on the Spyder when we had two for our day long review.

I think motorcycle heritage folks will have to "let go" of trying to ride it like a bike. Your mind tells you to ride it like a bike, but it a totally unique ride. It will take some longer than others, but I think everyone will transition without a problem fairly quickly. One thing to keep in mind. You can be "lazy" riding a Spyder, so going back and forth between a Spyder and bike could be interesting.

Excellent feedback from everyone. This confirms my suspicions. Experienced riders find it a gas too! It's not a motorcycle, but ya gotta love it for what it is - a whole new experience (the "Y" factor?). If it works out to be financially feasible, I too would like to keep a two-wheeler in my stable along with a Spyder. I won't be rushing into a purchase just yet, but I am strongly leaning in that direction when I can swing it. I really think BRP will sell a ton of these critters.

·
Registered
708 Posts
"I really think BRP will sell a ton of these critters."

Yes they will...as long as they are able to build and deliver them.

I.M.O. The way this has been handled has soured the milk quite a bit. It won't be so difficult in the future for those (not) in the know to obtain one of these but for the first group of buyers, it's be HELL waiting so long. I won't be seeing my purchase for nearly 1 year since I placed my deposit. 11 months to be exact. That is an absurd length of time to wait for a product to arrive. No choice I know but still. This over the top waiting period has taken all wind out of my sails and my enthusiasm has certainly decreased because of it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I really think BRP will sell a ton of these critters."

Yes they will...as long as they are able to build and deliver them.

I.M.O. The way this has been handled has soured the milk quite a bit. It won't be so difficult in the future for those (not) in the know to obtain one of these but for the first group of buyers, it's be HELL waiting so long. I won't be seeing my purchase for nearly 1 year since I placed my deposit. 11 months to be exact. That is an absurd length of time to wait for a product to arrive. No choice I know but still. This over the top waiting period has taken all wind out of my sails and my enthusiasm has certainly decreased because of it.
I can understand your frustration.
Experiences like yours are another reason I am not rushing into buying a Spyder. The other thing for me is waiting to see what BRP does in terms of adjusting their prices for the Canuck consumer. Currently, the Spyder is $3500 more in Canada than the U.S., in spite of the fact it is manufactured in Canada, and the company has prohibited their American dealers from selling to Canadians. BRP is promising that they will revisit the price issue.
There is no way in God's Green Earth I am going to spend 23% more on an item than it would cost me less than an hour and half from my home, simply because this company has decided that they are going to hold their dealers hostage to a usurious pricing structure.
Good luck with your Spyder delivery. I hope that when it does arrive, the fun of riding it will supplant the bitterness you are presently experiencing.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
"Currently, the Spyder is $3500 more in Canada than the U.S., in spite of the fact it is manufactured in Canada, and the company has prohibited their American dealers from selling to Canadians."

Yeah, but us Americans have to put up with George Bush as our President.......

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
"Currently, the Spyder is $3500 more in Canada than the U.S., in spite of the fact it is manufactured in Canada, and the company has prohibited their American dealers from selling to Canadians."

Yeah, but us Americans have to put up with George Bush as our President.......
This is not a political forum.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
i tested and like the spyder it is a good start; i currently have buell xb 12 scg
couple things 1. adjust price for canadians 2. please update engine to rotax powered engine that is in buell 1125 r (146 hp)
now: the thing handles quite well; on the test we hit an area of dirt from construction the leaders spyder went a bit sideways, i backed off being used to motorcycles; and nothing happened; if we were on bikes who knows someone could have went down
i ride a lot in urban areas; the spyder is quite wide and would lose some of the advantages a motorcycle has
if long distance touring and safety are your thing i would recommend the spyder
as for now i would NOT consider buying a spyder until it has the 146 hp rotax engine (that is in the buell 1125r) and price is lower than US price (the cdn dollar is stronger and it is built here so why shouldn't it be a couple grand lower in canada than the US;
BRP if you are listening for 12 999 cdn with 146 hp i'd likely get one! in fact a lot of people would

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i tested and like the spyder it is a good start; i currently have buell xb 12 scg
couple things 1. adjust price for canadians 2. please update engine to rotax powered engine that is in buell 1125 r (146 hp)
now: the thing handles quite well; on the test we hit an area of dirt from construction the leaders spyder went a bit sideways, i backed off being used to motorcycles; and nothing happened; if we were on bikes who knows someone could have went down
i ride a lot in urban areas; the spyder is quite wide and would lose some of the advantages a motorcycle has
if long distance touring and safety are your thing i would recommend the spyder
as for now i would NOT consider buying a spyder until it has the 146 hp rotax engine (that is in the buell 1125r) and price is lower than US price (the cdn dollar is stronger and it is built here so why shouldn't it be a couple grand lower in canada than the US;
BRP if you are listening for 12 999 cdn with 146 hp i'd likely get one! in fact a lot of people would
Good thoughts, especially the part about BRP adjusting its pricing! I think I would be happy with the existing engine, although 146 hp sounds 40 horses better than 106, but the price differential really bothers me.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"I have ridden it three times - once for about an hour on all types of roads (straights, curves, sweepers, twisties) and speeds (up to 95mph). I have visualized myself riding the Spyder as a Sport Tourer and the visions are good. The riding experience is totally unique and definitely a "smile maker"! It's different and new and I like that..

I'm thinking that a Spyder and a two-wheeler of some brand will co-exist in my basement for quite some time.

OH .... by-the-way, the 2008 Concours was going to be my next bike until the Spyder entered the scene!!

Go far it ... if you buy the Spyder and it's not your cup-of-tea, for awhile these machines will be at a premium and you could easily sell it for what you paid for it or, more!!"

I like your "best of both worlds" solution. I would like to have a conventional two-wheeler at my disposal as well as a Spyder too. I had the opportunity to test-ride a new Concours 14 in West Virginia in August. It was awesome, but now I am pretty smitten with the Spyder. It is indeed "totally unique". I couldn't stop smiling after riding it either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
[quote name='Director' date='Oct 26 2007, 04:44 PM' post='11815']
I can understand your frustration.
Experiences like yours are another reason I am not rushing into buying a Spyder. The other thing for me is waiting to see what BRP does in terms of adjusting their prices for the Canuck consumer. Currently, the Spyder is $3500 more in Canada than the U.S., in spite of the fact it is manufactured in Canada, and the company has prohibited their American dealers from selling to Canadians. BRP is promising that they will revisit the price issue.
There is no way in God's Green Earth I am going to spend 23% more on an item than it would cost me less than an hour and half from my home, simply because this company has decided that they are going to hold their dealers hostage to a usurious pricing structure.
Good luck with your Spyder delivery. I hope that when it does arrive, the fun of riding it will supplant the bitterness you are presently experiencing.

That things, we Europeans, BRP we rolled our eyes, according to dealers in Spain on the opening price after taxes will be about 18000 € around, involves 25200 $. If the Spyder, it will have to pay. We will wait for the summer of 2008 to see what happens.
ROUTES AND GOOD LUCK WITH LARGE MACHINE
Pardon my English, the translator use Google.
Manuel, Spain (Canary Islands).

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yep, I figured if I had more sled/ATV experience I could have transitioned more quickly to the Spyder. No matter what I did, the dang thing wouldn't lean into the curves! However, once I adjusted to that reality, riding the Spyder became a virtual Funfest. I am definitely "leaning" toward the Spyder now. My Spydy senses are tingling...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Riding 2 wheeler every year since 1964. Rode the spyder at Laconia NH. My daughter loved it since she dropped her honda several times. Me, I'll stay with 2 wheels until I am too old. Then go to sypder or some other wheeler since I am turning 60 and hope to ride the 2 wheeler into the 70's.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Riding 2 wheeler every year since 1964. Rode the spyder at Laconia NH. My daughter loved it since she dropped her honda several times. Me, I'll stay with 2 wheels until I am too old. Then go to sypder or some other wheeler since I am turning 60 and hope to ride the 2 wheeler into the 70's.
In that case, given the speed at which the Spyders seem to be arriving at dealerships, I would suggest you put your order in immediately!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts