Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
RIGHT NOW the discussion will be allowed as long as it is kept civil and doesn't go south. IMO a factual debate is okay. It was closed for a reason at DT and we can all see where it was going. Intelligent thoughts are always welcome here. It would be interesting to see the true pros and cons of ethanol fuels.

You all know the rules, but I don't have to remind you because it's a good group here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never thought about using an ethanol blend gas in my quad. Would it damage anything? I have read and seen tests that it is not as economical to use. The HYVEE grocery store gas station sells it. It costs just the same as regular unleaded, the octane rating is higher, but economy is less. Why would I use it?
about Ethonal and ATV's

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'am not sure about South of Canada but here a gas station does not have to advertise eth. in the gas if the percentage is under 10% or close to that.

So people are burning it in their motor vehicles and don't even know it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Here in Massachusetts all of the gas is 10% ethanol. I have been running it in my quad, no problems. But from what I understand, the ethanol causes the fuel to become less stable over a shorter period of time, so problems with carb jets will be more common with "old gas" which I am told can be substantially degraded after as little as 30 days. And if you mix ethanol fuel with non-ethanol, the problem will be encountered more quickly. I am also told the ethanol will loosen any debris you have in the tank/lines and will contribute to plugged fuel filters and carb jets. It was recommended to me to use Sta-Bil every time I fill the gas can, which I have done and have had no problems with anything except my son's 50cc which sits a fair amount (I had to clean the carb and change the plug sooner than expected).

Just my experience and the info I have been given.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts