Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop manual describes our charging system as a magneto system. When I look at it, I see an ordinary alternator charging system like I have in my other motorcycles. I wonder if this is a misnomer resulting from the Rotax heritage in airplane applications where they do sometimes use magnetos.

In the "old days" a magneto had two levels of voltage output. One was 6 or 12 volts for the lights and charging the battery, if there was one. The other output was very high voltage for the ignition system. It was used to fire the spark plugs. It didn't do so well at low RPM's.

As far as I know, the Spyder has an electronic ignition module like other motorcycles and does not depend upon the "magneto" to fire the plugs. Therein lies the mystery.

I am not a motorcycle mechanic so I could be all wet about this stuff. So I call upon the forum members who are much better informed than I am to answer this question: Does the Spyder use an alternator or a magneto, or perhaps and alternator system they simply call a magneto?

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
The shop manual describes our charging system as a magneto system. When I look at it, I see an ordinary alternator charging system like I have in my other motorcycles. I wonder if this is a misnomer resulting from the Rotax heritage in airplane applications where they do sometimes use magnetos.

In the "old days" a magneto had two levels of voltage output. One was 6 or 12 volts for the lights and charging the battery, if there was one. The other output was very high voltage for the ignition system. It was used to fire the spark plugs. It didn't do so well at low RPM's.

As far as I know, the Spyder has an electronic ignition module like other motorcycles and does not depend upon the "magneto" to fire the plugs. Therein lies the mystery.

I am not a motorcycle mechanic so I could be all wet about this stuff. So I call upon the forum members who are much better informed than I am to answer this question: Does the Spyder use an alternator or a magneto, or perhaps and alternator system they simply call a magneto?
Part # 420685295 is the magneto assembly and includes parts # 8-9.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The spyder uses a magneto just as pretty much any small engine powersport type product. An alternator in a car basically has one main coil and magnet that produces all the current from one source. A magneto has one main magnet but has several different coils to provide power for differnt functions. These incluced the ignition coils, lighting, accessories, and various other electrical components such as the electronics. Even though the spyder is fuel injected it still has ignition coils that depend on the magneto for the power to the spark plugs. The ECM is what switches the coils on and off electronicaly. As far as the 12 and 6 volts thats back in the day it's all 12V now. As far as the magneto not doing a good job, well it does have some limitations. If the bike is running idle and the magneto is not putting out enough power then the bike will use the battery to pick up the slack. As you accelerate the magneto can generate more power and thus provide enough energy and start charging the battery. Have any other questions let me know.
Part # 420685295 is the magneto assembly and includes parts # 8-9.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts