Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Bill and I talked tonight. We would like to propose Weds, Sept 24th - Sat, Sept 27th for our Gaitlinberg event. We will shoot for a group event on Friday night.

Here is a link to Gaitlinberg and here is a link to The Tail of the Dragon, one of the most famous stretches of twisting road in the world.

Bill will be meeting with folks in Gaitlinberg over the next couple of weeks to track down our lodging options. I am heading to Tennessee to meet up with Bill in November to firm up our plans.

We will provide options for lodging with contact information and links where possible. It will be up to everyone to make their own reservations, but we will set up an on-line registration here on Can-AmTalk at some point (early 2008). This will allow us to track who will be attending so we can make plans for the group events.

A lot more information to come, but we wanted to get the dates our there so people could start planning.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Those dates sound as good as any to me right now (11 months in advance). Last night I did a little on-line checking on lodging and found a few places that seemed decent that were starting below $50. Hopefully it stays that way.

I just checked that website on the Tail of the Dragon and I must say, they don't make it sound too inviting what with all that police patrols and what sounds like borderline harrassment.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Those dates sound as good as any to me right now (11 months in advance). Last night I did a little on-line checking on lodging and found a few places that seemed decent that were starting below $50. Hopefully it stays that way.

I just checked that website on the Tail of the Dragon and I must say, they don't make it sound too inviting what with all that police patrols and what sounds like borderline harrassment.
Hey bjt, why are you afraid of the police patrols? Are you afraid your wife might get a ticket...hehe...I'll be good I promise.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
These dates are great as long as they don't conflict with out trip to Cairo. We won't know those dates for a bit yet it seems. I really hope we are able to do both. This just sounds like a great experience. I know i would love it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey folks,
I live close to Gatlinburg, Before you firm up the dates for this event i would highly recommend that you get with the local chamber of commerce.
This time of the year we have some MAJOR OUTDOOR EVENTS going on.
Some have been meeting here for years. Example.....Locals..and others clogging up roads to watch the leaves change colors and watch wildlife in cades cove.
The honda hoot has been meeting here the last couple of years. There are also some national car events that meet in pigeon forge and gatlinburg in the fall.

It is really a family oriented location.....but due to the terrain, you can not get around really fast.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey folks,
I live close to Gatlinburg, Before you firm up the dates for this event i would highly recommend that you get with the local chamber of commerce.
This time of the year we have some MAJOR OUTDOOR EVENTS going on.
Some have been meeting here for years. Example.....Locals..and others clogging up roads to watch the leaves change colors and watch wildlife in cades cove.
The honda hoot has been meeting here the last couple of years. There are also some national car events that meet in pigeon forge and gatlinburg in the fall.

It is really a family oriented location.....but due to the terrain, you can not get around really fast.
Good input. Bill is meeting with folks in Gaitlinberg soon to confirm the dates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
During a very large car rally, People who work in gatlinburg and live in pigeon forge have experienced up to a 4 hour commute when people are cruising.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMHO May or June would be a better time for this event......but maybe I'm in a hurry to show off!lol
We went through Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg year before last and it took us an hour and half on motorcycles, my clutch hand was killing me, it was the day before Labor day! It was only 7.7 miles to where we stayed......oh and it's a 6 lane highway, three in each direction as best I can remember!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
IMHO May or June would be a better time for this event......but maybe I'm in a hurry to show off!lol
We went through Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg year before last and it took us an hour and half on motorcycles, my clutch hand was killing me, it was the day before Labor day! It was only 7.7 miles to where we stayed......oh and it's a 6 lane highway, three in each direction as best I can remember!
labor day is a big deal there with all the amusments
i picked this date because kids are back in school so the amusments slow down the car shows are aug thru the 2 week in sept and the fall color folks come about the 3- 4th week of oct absolute peak
went there 14-16th september 07 cruised in and out had a blast 43 of us with a large construction co in nashville as time goes i will start posting road maps in and out that will relieve that problem ohh i forgot 1 big problem was told i would get my bike around the first of june cutting close there

·
Registered
30 Posts
Way to go billybob!
Maybe by then we will have an AUTHORIZED DEALER here.
There is a can-am dealer at exit 407 off the interstate, but he is yet to be an AUTHORIZED DEALER.
There are a slew of hotels from exit 407 thru pigeon forge and gatlinburg as well as some that cater to those that want to do the dragon and a lot of other scenic rides here.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well i am finally free to put 100% into gatlinburg spyder fest 08 sept 24-27 in gatlinburg tn. had to get over the big hay rides i put on around my farm with the church groups. meeting with mike pikelz and the tourism group the 6th to tell them the plans of what we are looking to do and get set up after this intial meeting. I will be meeting the next week with others. marc and i will be meeting in the gat fri nov 23 to put the plans into action. i will be doing leg work and the planning and the execution of the rally. marc will doing contacts with brp, vendors and 'etc etc. hevnbound will be also involed with this rally as a person which marc and myself can rely on to meet with in the gat for a 3rd brain and put this great rally together. if you do not see me posting it is simple, i really suck at at this pc thing i am still a man to man face to face person so marc and hevnbound will keep everyone up to date on the progress and this is going to happen. as i said, if 2 spyders or 2500 show up we will have a great time and i guarentee we will be the stars of the gat those days

thanx so much for everyones support

bill

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't know who plans these but it can be very cold in the northeast at that time. Why not end of August?
I would not call Gatlinburg Tenessee the northeast unless I was from Mexico. I live in Michigan and we had 80's and 90's up through September (also a few 50's and 60's).

However, for other reasons, I too would like the date to be in August. If the date remains Sept. 24-27 my wife and I will not be attending as we may be in Cairo, Egypt at that time on a mission trip.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
I would not call Gatlinburg Tenessee the northeast unless I was from Mexico. I live in Michigan and we had 80's and 90's up through September (also a few 50's and 60's).

However, for other reasons, I too would like the date to be in August. If the date remains Sept. 24-27 my wife and I will not be attending as we may be in Cairo, Egypt at that time on a mission trip.
IF you check some older posts, I believe it has a lot to do with school being back in session and less traffic as well as other events going on and more people much busier in the summer than fall.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't know who plans these but it can be very cold in the northeast at that time. Why not end of August?
Gatlinburg Weather

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. High 45° 50° 60° 68° 77° 84° 86° 86° 80° 68° 58° 48°
Avg. Low 22° 25° 34° 41° 50° 58° 62° 61° 55° 41° 32° 26°
Mean 34° 38° 47° 55° 64° 71° 75° 74° 68° 56° 46° 38°

BTW if you read the posts you would know who is planning this; apparenlty just a few very generous Spyder enthusiasts.

Thanks guys!

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
Gatlinburg Weather

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. High 45° 50° 60° 68° 77° 84° 86° 86° 80° 68° 58° 48°
Avg. Low 22° 25° 34° 41° 50° 58° 62° 61° 55° 41° 32° 26°
Mean 34° 38° 47° 55° 64° 71° 75° 74° 68° 56° 46° 38°
BTW if you read the posts you would know who is planning this; apparenlty just a few very generous Spyder enthusiasts.

Thanks guys!
Thank you TJ.
I was being Sarcastic in last reply. I like the date and place and am thankful for good people. Can't wait to meet them all

1 - 20 of 25 Posts