Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Rode this weekend in a parade- route was maybe 1.5 miles and average speed was 15mph or less. Temp. was about 66 degrees. When I parked our 2011 RT afterwards coolant started to pour out when the bike was shut off. At first I thought it may have been due to the fact that we were parked nose up on a hill. The temp gauge never got that close to the red/hot range. I let the bike cool for an hour and on the way home the gauge was in the middle and lower 1/3 while on the highway (thought maybe the cool rain helped cool it down) and when on our road at home while idling the gauge climbed back up.
Pulled the panel and no coolant is visible. Called the dealer and he said he would try to contact BRP and did I feel ok in driving it in- (35 miles or so) and I said no. Bike has less than 1700 miles on it and we bought some trailering/towing add on so....
Hose is intact, cap is tight, and I am clueless as to what may have caused this. I'd rather not spend $9 for a quart of antifreeze to have it run out again and my animals get into it.
Anyone else have this happen? The "limp home" light did not come on, in fact none of the warning lights did.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
IMO, the best you're going to get from folks is guesses, ie; sticky thermostat, overfilled coolant, etc. Please post what you eventually find as cause, may help somebody in future...thx

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2009RS SM had a similar problem 2 weeks ago in a Melbourne winter. It had a split coolant bottle. Dealer replaced bottle and told me he hooked it up to BUDS. He said it reported no temp. when he ran it up. He said there was a poor electrical connection at the thermostat housing. He said he removed and tightened the connection. This work seems to have fixed the problem. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had no problem with the antifreeze overflowing until this week. I have a 2008 GS SM5 that I bought in Nov of 2011 with 127 miles on it. I had the 6000 mile service done in early Feb 2013 then drove the 75 miles home with no problem. I had not ridden it again until the 14th of March and only went about 40 miles. There was no indication that it was overheating but when I stopped in the yard, it dumped the antifreeze. I refilled it and rode it to work on Friday with no problem. Today, Saturday, I drove up to Tucson (about 75 miles) for a recall and also to have them look at the coolant problem. Everything was OK. They checked the levels, fan and the thermostat. All are OK I then drove home. The bars never reached 6 but when I stopped in the yard, it dumped the coolant again. Both times the temperature was in the mid to upper 80s. I called the dealer and they are going to have a truck come pick it up and check it out further. I have an after market exhaust, k&N air filter and a juicebox as mods. It runs much better with the juicebox and the the is no backfiring or popping since I installed it. The temp gauge has been lower since installing the juicebox. Any ideas? I will let all know what the dealer decides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had no problem with the antifreeze overflowing until this week. I have a 2008 GS SM5 that I bought in Nov of 2011 with 127 miles on it. I had the 6000 mile service done in early Feb 2013 then drove the 75 miles home with no problem. I had not ridden it again until the 14th of March and only went about 40 miles. There was no indication that it was overheating but when I stopped in the yard, it dumped the antifreeze. I refilled it and rode it to work on Friday with no problem. Today, Saturday, I drove up to Tucson (about 75 miles) for a recall and also to have them look at the coolant problem. Everything was OK. They checked the levels, fan and the thermostat. All are OK I then drove home. The bars never reached 6 but when I stopped in the yard, it dumped the coolant again. Both times the temperature was in the mid to upper 80s. I called the dealer and they are going to have a truck come pick it up and check it out further. I have an after market exhaust, k&N air filter and a juicebox as mods. It runs much better with the juicebox and the the is no backfiring or popping since I installed it. The temp gauge has been lower since installing the juicebox. Any ideas? I will let all know what the dealer decides.
What did you eventually find out for the fix?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts