Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check transmission came up on display...does anyone else get this and what did you do? It happened right after coming out of reverse on my SE5. I did get it back to 1st with out much problems after.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check transmission came up on display...does anyone else get this and what did you do? It happened right after coming out of reverse on my SE5. I did get it back to 1st with out much problems after.
if it happens again, it will be helpful if you can retreive any fault codes: while the warning is on, press the mode button until the total hours display is on the screen. hold the mode button and flick the high beam flash switch five times. the instruments cluster message center should then give you a code. either report to your dealer or let me know, i've ordered the shop manual and should have the codes matrix to explain. good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got the Spyder to the Dealer on Sat. Got a call and said it will be there for over a week while they deal with BRP to solve this problem. Ooh well as long as they find out and fix this. Only drove it for only 2days, less than 30 miles but bought it as a demo model with about 100 miles on it. I believe it was like this before I bought it. Wondering what kind of inspecttion(BRP) if any for it to be available for purchase. Yes, I can expect some problems for 1st year models but it can still be frustrating and get a little worried about some of the problems people are having.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got the Spyder to the Dealer on Sat. Got a call and said it will be there for over a week while they deal with BRP to solve this problem. Ooh well as long as they find out and fix this. Only drove it for only 2days, less than 30 miles but bought it as a demo model with about 100 miles on it. I believe it was like this before I bought it. Wondering what kind of inspecttion(BRP) if any for it to be available for purchase. Yes, I can expect some problems for 1st year models but it can still be frustrating and get a little worried about some of the problems people are having.
I went to pick up the Spyder today. I was told that nothing was wrong with it...If there was nothing wrong with it, I wouldn't have brought it in! They said that they hooked it up to the buds and there were not default codes. I tried it and did get the "check transmission" on the display. They took it back again and still no default codes. Tech tried out a new SE5 on the lot and it also had some problems getting it into 1st after reverse. He said he called BRP and they said it was a characteristic of the SE5's! I said "WHAT" this is a safety issue and that they were pretty much crazy even to say this. Sometimes it will take me a few minutes to engage it into 1st. To me this is not too safe! Finally I said I read in forums that dealers were changing out gear sensors for issues like this so they are going to ask BRP for advice and approval for this work. Has anyone experienced this problem? and what is your opinion about BRP's response about it being normal for the SE5's to react this way?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It could be the gears clashing. They may need to be turning a wee bit to mesh properly. Try shifting just before coming to a complete stop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went to pick up the Spyder today. I was told that nothing was wrong with it...If there was nothing wrong with it, I wouldn't have brought it in! They said that they hooked it up to the buds and there were not default codes. I tried it and did get the "check transmission" on the display. They took it back again and still no default codes. Tech tried out a new SE5 on the lot and it also had some problems getting it into 1st after reverse. He said he called BRP and they said it was a characteristic of the SE5's! I said "WHAT" this is a safety issue and that they were pretty much crazy even to say this. Sometimes it will take me a few minutes to engage it into 1st. To me this is not too safe! Finally I said I read in forums that dealers were changing out gear sensors for issues like this so they are going to ask BRP for advice and approval for this work. Has anyone experienced this problem? and what is your opinion about BRP's response about it being normal for the SE5's to react this way?
i occasionally am unable to shift into neutral from 1st. no reaction to paddle command. shifting into reverse will restore. no warning in message center. i'm accepting it as a glitch and won't push it with the dealer as i'm afraid they will make it worse. in my humble opinion what you are experiencing is not normal since your have the warning message. since the problem is intermittent, the code is likely to be unconfirmed and data temporary. recommend for you to retreive the code while the warning is active by dealer scan if possible or by procedure described in this thread. good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar problem? When I put my se5 in reverse my check transmission flashes across the screen. The dealer said they charged the sensor and it’s still doing the same thing and BRP can’t find anything wrong??? Are these similar problems and who has some answers. Please help. This is driving me insane. Because are these bikes safe or not

1 - 7 of 7 Posts