Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
tonga
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Spyder on order and with our Dollar higher in value then the US Dollar I am wondering why I will have to pay so much more for my new Spyder and the models going to the Americans cost $3500.00 less? Will BRP re-adjust their pricing for Canadians ???

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Spyder on order and with our Dollar higher in value then the US Dollar I am wondering why I will have to pay so much more for my new Spyder and the models going to the Americans cost $3500.00 less? Will BRP re-adjust their pricing for Canadians ???
Highly doubtful- Just a thought for you though. If The Spyder was built in America and the cost is $15000 considering labor rates, materials, etc... and we wanted to offer these untis in Canada. Dealers in Canada would be asking the same price we do because of the conversion from our dollar to yours. If the dollar you spend is Canadian than why would you pay American dollars? There should not be that much of a difference if you think about it. $15299US (yellow)- Canadian to American right now I believe is about 1:1.13. $15299 multiplied by 1.13 is $17287.87. Subtract 17287 from 15299 and you get $1988. This doesn't include shipping and set up at your dealer of course! Please correct me is I am wrong.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Highly doubtful- Just a thought for you though. If The Spyder was built in America and the cost is $15000 considering labor rates, materials, etc... and we wanted to offer these untis in Canada. Dealers in Canada would be asking the same price we do because of the conversion from our dollar to yours. If the dollar you spend is Canadian than why would you pay American dollars? There should not be that much of a difference if you think about it. $15299US (yellow)- Canadian to American right now I believe is about 1:1.13. $15299 multiplied by 1.13 is $17287.87. Subtract 17287 from 15299 and you get $1988. This doesn't include shipping and set up at your dealer of course! Please correct me is I am wrong.
As of Nov 27 2007

$15,299.00 USD = $15,243.12 CAD

1 USD = 0.996348 CAD
1 CAD = 1.00367 USD

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That makes it even better. It is truly amazing how much the dollar has changed in value! No worries for pricing then huh?
The problem is that BRP does not charge Canadians U.S. prices. The MSRP in Canada is $18,499, not $14,999, and they have prohibited U.S dealers from selling to Canadian buyers.
This means that Canadian buyers cannot take advantage of our (probably temporarily) strong dollar and buy across the border. Even the accessories are wildly marked up in Canada. For example, if I recall correctly, the fog light kit is $499 U.S. and $599 Canadian. I understand that goods are inevitably going to be somewhat more expensive in Canada, as we are a much smaller market, and we have higher taxes, etc., etc. However, there comes a point where price differentials become price gouging. BRP has taken some steps to address this disparity, by raising the U.S. price and offering an extra year warranty to Canadian buyers, which takes some of the sting out.

Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
371 Posts
The problem is that BRP does not charge Canadians U.S. prices. The MSRP in Canada is $18,499, not $14,999, and they have prohibited U.S dealers from selling to Canadian buyers.
This means that Canadian buyers cannot take advantage of our (probably temporarily) strong dollar and buy across the border. Even the accessories are wildly marked up in Canada. For example, if I recall correctly, the fog light kit is $499 U.S. and $599 Canadian. I understand that goods are inevitably going to be somewhat more expensive in Canada, as we are a much smaller market, and we have higher taxes, etc., etc. However, there comes a point where price differentials become price gouging. BRP has taken some steps to address this disparity, by raising the U.S. price and offering an extra year warranty to Canadian buyers, which takes some of the sting out.

Cheers,
Bruce
thats ok $25990 plus on roads and dealer delivery approxamately $28000 here in Australia.......

but i dont mind i want one and cant wait for it to arrive.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts