Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any CA riders know if we are required to wear helmets?
We are not classified as a motorcycle and do not need a motorcycle license.
If anyone know, pplease let me know. Thanks

·
Ken5517 / Wish Again
1,434 Posts
I believe that the spyder is listed as a motorcycle, the BRP site does answer this question and has the DMV section with the description.

This is done for each state.

So yes helmets required.

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello fellow smokster, even in some states is not mandatory wear a helmet, drink in your head, ALWAYS BRINGS HEADGEAR, is my advice.
The spyder is a tricycle, carries no seat belt, what if we have a frontal crash? The bumpers will be our head.
ROUTES AND GOOD LUCK WITH LARGE MACHINE
Pardon my English, the translator use Google.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is my impression that the Spyder is classified as a motorcycle even though a motorcycle endorsement on your license is not required (just like a sidecar rig), wearing a helmet is required. I am not sure what the requirement for parking the Spyder is. Normally a motorcycle is parked crossways in a parking space with the rear wheel touching the curb. I don't think that is practical with a Spyder because of its length. I believe that being classified as a motorcycle allows that Spyder to use the HOV lanes with only one person aboard. The current DMV document can be found here http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.