Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took the syder for a test ride and it was better than expected, only 2 complants, be nice to have a handlebar brake lever not a big deal but i was real disappointed about the way the computer retarded the engine when you try to come out of a corner hard or try to drift the back end out or burn out. My question is has anybody heard if the traction control will be adjustable or if you can bypass it. I don't want a computer telling me that i can't do that when i know it can with out a problem or is it to early to ask yet.

·
Registered
708 Posts
To my knowledge, it's not adjustable. If you are able to bypass it and anything were to happen. That would certainly void any warranty from BRP.
I would like to see a front hand brake installed and no vehicle stability system but someone will have to perform some serious modifications to accomplish them both. The fun factor is reduced because of the current safety features installed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will be bringing my spyder into my shop to convert it to a 4 wheel vehicle almost imeadiatly after I pick it up......so I will likely be working on defeating some of these systems.....

My last project was a Street Legal R1 powered Banshee: http://www.johnhasmorefun.com/street_banshee/

--John

To my knowledge, it's not adjustable. If you are able to bypass it and anything were to happen. That would certainly void any warranty from BRP.
I would like to see a front hand brake installed and no vehicle stability system but someone will have to perform some serious modifications to accomplish them both. The fun factor is reduced because of the current safety features installed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
That Banshee project looks impressive!!!

The only way I can see defeating the stability system is turning it off through software. A 2 part break system would be a plus in my book as well. Be looking forward to your results.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is little off the subjest but love the banshee, i'm in the process of doing the same thing but with an R6, how did you do the gas tank. Hope you can fix the Spyder problem so it will be alot funnier to ride then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mrdon, funny that you should ask.....the gas tank was one of the hardest parts. I tried a few designs before getting this one working. Size wise I would make it as big as possible but remember chain clearance and to pitch it so it all drans to the pump.

My motor is fuel injected, so on the bike the fuel pump sits inside the tank. I made all of the tank out of 1/8 aluminum, except the bottom center section...its 1" thick aluminum. My fuel pump fits as it does in the stock gas tank...it fits up in the tank from the bottom. I used the 1" for the bottom so i could drill the holes and tap them for the pump flange. The gas cap is at the highest point in the tank (might seem common sence, but this is VERY important). For the cap i used a non-vented cap from the duce factory but drilled two tiny holes (1/64th or so bit) and used the guts from a brigs and stratton gas cap underneath to work the vent, it worked out perfectly.

That gas tank as one of the most time consuming part of building the bike. I still wish I would have made it bigger for longer trips down in daytona.....so I proboly will re-do it sometime.

--John
this is little off the subjest but love the banshee, i'm in the process of doing the same thing but with an R6, how did you do the gas tank. Hope you can fix the Spyder problem so it will be alot funnier to ride then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts