Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who unload your atv from your truck using ramps be careful. I never have liked this idea but i still continued to do it. Yesterday i was unloading the 800, and it was a rainy day well one of the ramps sliped out and i flew off the back and the quad stood straight up. So i got my butt out of the way for fear it was coming back on me. Well it ended up coming down itself right on the tailgate and pretty much crushed it. No harm done to the quad. I will now be using one of those trifolds or a trailer. I will never do that again.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Good thread, guys that doo this ,
take an extra minute to secure your ramps before loading or off loading your atv's,

Glad to hear your ok Iamouttiehere, becarefull

Wolf ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
yup been there dun that....but mine was when i had my old warrior. same as you..move just in time though....after landing on my shoulder.
bike came crashing down right where i was laying...yikes...

remedy: bought trailer.

but i do miss the just load it up and go of a truck...have jeep liberty now.

i put a 21 gallon fresh water tank on my trailer recently for the use of cleaning up after rides/ flushing out muddy radiators etc...well pulled out the old truck ramps i built, put them on the trailer, since i could not use my tilt anymore......and ramp slipped from that too....
as old man sanford would say..."you big dummy"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ramps are great, just as long as you secure them properly. People sometimes are in too much of a hurry. 2 minutes to secure the ramps and now you are safe. I was always in the habit of driving on and off wihout securing the ramps. This habit developed from my loading and unloading of snowmachines. When the ramps slipped, no big deal........but then it happened once with the Traxter. Never again. Now the ramps are always secured when loading and unloading the quad.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea i never thought about it. I wasnt in a hurrtor anything, me and friends were just siting around then we decided to unload.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I always secure the ramps too seen to many crushed tailgates. A buddy of mine fastened cables to the bed of his truck so alls he has to do is put the ramps in place and hook the cables to the end of the ramp....no reaching under the truck to hook them on the trailer hitch.

One other recomendation......I use a Louisiana Guard Dog to secure my 800 in the bed....this is a great product and is so much easier than straps. I already lost one back window to loose straps....
I been on some really bad roads with the LAGD and the quad never moves.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea i do have a 5 by 8 trailer, but i switch off by puting it in the truck and on that. Im definetly putting it on the trailer from now on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a set of tri-fold ramps from Harbor Freight like these. If you keep checking, they will have a sale at your local retailer. I believe I paid $69 or $79 for mine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats neat. I was just thinking to myself why they dont have something that is built into the tail gate or truck. Maybe the car company's should make that an option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm looking for some tri-fold ramps for the truck, basically to help load the sled, snowblower, and quad i buy next year... they seem to be the best idea.. and if you take you time loading pretty safe too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts