Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been doing allot of reading about ATV laws and regulations due to critics constantly complaining about the misuse of ATVs. It was just a matter of time before we encountered problems in Sudbury, especially in the Valley East and Capreol areas.

http://www.northernlife.ca/News/LocalNews/...07-28-06-atvTOP

What has been done in your area to rectify these issues? Do not hesitate to add comments to the newspaper. Anything to help will be appreciated

GG

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ATVers get bad rap with nature lovers

Date Published | July 27, 2006

While ATVs are fun to ride, they are causing concerns for rural residents and those in the outlying communities.
Advertisement

BY BILL BRADLEY

Residents and law enforcement officers are becoming increasingly more concerned about the misuse of all terrain vehicles (ATVs) in bush country and Greater Sudbury streets.

"We are seeing a lot of damage by ATVs running rampant all over this area," said Paul Merrifield, a property owner in the Lake Agnew area.

"On some weekends there are hundreds of machines. This seems to be a gathering place for them. They run roughshod over the area and they don't care what they do."

Merrifield said there is a trout stream near his residence that is being affected by ATVs.

"This is a pristine little stream. Around here people really enjoy it for its natural beauty. Now there are these big lumbering ATVs running directly in the stream throwing up sediment and just making a mess out of it. It seems they use the water to clean off their machines but they are probably putting oil and grease into the water too."

Merrifield has tried calling the Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Natural Resources, and even the police.

"I made calls but got nowhere. Either officials do not have the person power to police the back country or they don't make it a priority."

However, Greater Sudbury Police say they are definitely concerned about ATVs.

"We are having problems with ATVs in all outlying areas. We are swamped with complaints about careless driving in the bush, on side streets and on roads in Greater Sudbury," said traffic Sgt. Guy Lavoie.

"The public is reminded that all terrain vehicles are not allowed on any road within Greater Sudbury. Any person found operating an ATV on a street will be charged. ATVs must be fully insured, plated and the operator must wear an approved helmet."

ATV riders who think they can just drive off into the bush to elude police may get a surprise.

"Since last year Greater Sudbury police now have two ATVs for our patrols. If we catch you on a highway, you will get a ticket for a $110 fine. Since you will be considered a motor vehicle on a highway, if you don't have insurance you can get a fine up to $5,000," said Lavoie.

What concerns police is the rise in ATV accidents and the seriousness of the incidents.

"Our statistics for ATV accidents are doubling. In 2004, we recorded seven accidents. In 2005, there were 13 accidents with injuries, including two major injuries. Now in 2006, already we have seven accidents with one being a fatality on June 18 where a man, Kevin Romansky was killed.

"For us this is unacceptable."

Lavoie remarked that officers conducted ATV patrols in Valley East and Capreol over the July 10 weekend.

Several ATVs were stopped, resulting in two people being charged with having no plates and one was charged with failing to have insurance. Three other charges were laid relating to documentation offenses.

Canada is second only to the United States in ATV sales worldwide. In 2005, 80,000 were purchased, outselling snowmobiles four to one, according to the Ontario Federation of All-Terrain Vehicle Clubs.

Nature Ontario, a federation of Ontario naturalists, is working with its federal counterparts, Nature Canada, to get action on damage caused to trails by ATVs.

"We have nature clubs all across the province and all are reporting concerns with ATVs. We expect the situation is similar across Canada so we are collaborating with groups nationally to get some action on this serious issue," said Jennifer Baker, regional projects co-ordinator of Nature Ontario.

The organization has been documenting ATV damage.

"Research has shown that the churning up of stream sediments destroys aquatic vegetation and alters the habitat for fish and invertebrates. Irresponsible ATV riders who are going up and down stream beds crush vegetation and leave ruts behind. The increased turbidity and sedimentation smothers invertebrates and amphibians, and causes increased predation on eggs and adults, physiological stresses, gill damage, and the list goes on," according to information posted on the Nature Canada website.

The seriousness of the issues regarding ATV use prompted the formation of a local group, which met for the first time earlier this year.

"We did work with the City of Greater Sudbury and local ATV users to help them get organized as a group so they can inform each other of their responsibilities. I think ATV users do want to present a better image of themselves to the public and police," said Deb MacIntosh, co-ordinator of Rainbow Routes, a non-profit group promoting the use of trails for walking and hiking.

"Last February we organized a meeting in Walden. Despite their being a snowstorm at the time, we had more than 70 people attend. Right now a group is being formed, chaired by a former bank manager, with representation from police and other interested bodies.

"I think positive change is coming for all concerned."

Here GG ,I managaed to search the paper and find the article ( at least i think this is what you were refering to )

Wolf

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is no easy solution to this kind of perception. What seems to work is you need to gather the ATVers in that area form a club and build a relationship with the landowners, Police and local Government. Set up regular patrols of the trails and make sure that the police ticket those that are breaking the rules....it takes a long time and a lot of work to build a good reputation and only one inconsiderate rider to create a bad one.

Running trail patrols in our area we find the 85% of the riders obey the rules, of the reamin 15%, 10% are just ignorant and need to be educated ( thats where the trail patrol comes in) and 5% are no better but break the rules anyway. However when non ATV folk see us and the police on the the trail in definatly helps with public realtions. We also work closley with the local Snowmobile Club.

Good Luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know over on the island ATVs are used almost as much as cars... (like golf carts in a Florida retirement community) there they are making ATV friendly ''sideways?" - sidewalks made our of gravel that are for ATV use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
speaking of sudbury, we where thinking about after this year getting rid of sleds and gets atvs and riding up in sudbury since we like the lodhe we stay at for the sleds also like 4-wheelers (sportsmans lodge), do you need and special permits besides our state reg and insureance?, is their a web-site equal to what ofsc has? and how many atv trails is there? thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
speaking of sudbury, we where thinking about after this year getting rid of sleds and gets atvs and riding up in sudbury since we like the lodhe we stay at for the sleds also like 4-wheelers (sportsmans lodge), do you need and special permits besides our state reg and insureance?, is their a web-site equal to what ofsc has? and how many atv trails is there? thanks
Ah yes the Sportsmens Lodge, NOPE you do not require a trail permit there yet for ATV's , if you ride right from the lodge ( last time I was there atv'n anyway) there was a lot of road running required and atv road running sucks bigtime , way to much dust and no fun at all.
The Lodge will give you maps each and everyday that you are there, and most likely you will ride a differant trail everyday ( except for the road running )

There are 2 major players in the battle for Ontario in the world of ATV's

www.ofatv.com

and

www.atvontario.com

There is huge mixed reactions over which is better ect , ect , but that is not only a whole other topic, it would require a whole differant forum.

But you are not far from Elliot Lake there ( 2 or so hours) and you do need a trail pass ther, EL has miles and miles of trails and also traill maps for a small portion of them.

For anywhere in Ont ( as far as I know un less on private property ) you are required to have your ownership and proof of insurance PL and PD as well as your drivers licence and you must follow the age restrictions and the one rider only laws are still in effect here, two up ATV'S are not recognized here as a 2 rider and as such only one rider per ATV is permitted.

If you need any more infor just let me know
Wolf ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
so you need a drivers license to ride a 4-wheelers up there? im 16 but i dont have my drivers license (can't get it until 18, rules of parents) and if you have to run a road isn't against the law? and if it isnt do you run along route 69 or 17? thanks for info

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
so you need a drivers license to ride a 4-wheelers up there? im 16 but i dont have my drivers license (can't get it until 18, rules of parents) and if you have to run a road isn't against the law? and if it isnt do you run along route 69 or 17? thanks for info
NO you do not need a licence but you must be 16 or older to ride on or across roads that your are permitted to ride on.

There are only certain roads, and townships that your are permitted to ride on road, so if your ride where you are permitted and follow the common sense laws, and the actual ones, no one will bother you.

And to my knowledge you may NOT ride on #69 or #17, you may however be able to cross them at a 90 in certain spots if you meet the restrictions for age and no passenger ect..

Yea it is complicated, and some town's a townships allow nearlt total atv access the next town over may not, YOU THE RIDER HAVE TO KNOW ALL THIS >

Wolf ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok thanks, its kinda like sledding in a way, if you where under 16 like i was when i went up to sudbury in feb all i need was a snowmobile saftery certificate, i was just curious because me and my dad where thinking for selling our sleds after this season and getting two 650 outlanders

1 - 10 of 10 Posts