Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about Arctic Cat ATVs?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have never ridden one, but I think they (the DVX) are good looking machines. Their DVX is the genetic twin to the Z-400 Suzuki, and I owned one of those and LOVED it. The advantage the DVX has is the front fenders are removable, so you don't have to go thru the process of shaving them off if you like the no-fender look. So, essentially, I have ridden a DVX and can tell you if you are looking for a great trail and occasional track quad, and like sport quads, I'd highly recommend it.

I haven't ridden the utility quads, but I'm not too crazy about the look of those vs. the DVX. They are big, that's for sure, but based on everything I have read in the quad mags they usually rank near the bottom in class shootouts. The one area they seem to have an advantage is in ground clearance. Seems you get that extra 1-2" with a Cat that can be helpful out on the trail. Most magazine testers complained about mechanical problems such as fluid leaks and weird electrical glitches. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are LARGE amounts of Cat riders out there who are running trouble-free machines, but it seems every time I read a test of a Cat utility quad, the ratings are pretty low.

It seems Can-Am usually scores top numbers in power and accleration, but the Grizzly 700 with power steering seems to be the magazine favorite............this year.

I am anxiously awaiting the newer mid-size utility shootout (400-500cc) just to see how my KingQuad will stack up against the competition in the professional's eyes.

Jerry

·
Registered
12 Posts
not sure about the newer machines, but the older one's (late 90's) were pretty crappy, at least the 2 that i was around and occasionally rode. the new one's are great looking.........

·
Registered
53 Posts
have a 2005, 500 TRV which is a 2 up, great atv for trail riding . BUT needed some FIRE and got it just brought home a new 650 xt can am and it sure is sweet, love the power.

BUT will keep the AC also , it realy is a great machine IMO

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have both, 05 arctic cat 500 Manual and the 06 650 max. They are exact opposites of each other. what the cat is great at the outlander sucks at and vice versa. Both great machines for the intended audience. magazines rate them low because they only care about fast speed smoth trailed riding and thats not where cats shine. THey are great at the techical stuff like mudding, rock crawling, and working and ok trail machines for the casual rides.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have both, 05 arctic cat 500 Manual and the 06 650 max. They are exact opposites of each other. what the cat is great at the outlander sucks at and vice versa. Both great machines for the intended audience. magazines rate them low because they only care about fast speed smoth trailed riding and thats not where cats shine. THey are great at the techical stuff like mudding, rock crawling, and working and ok trail machines for the casual rides.
Hey 53rd,,, looks like that yellow thing has the XT bumper pack,,, why the cheap rims,, no ofense just question???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts