Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have your Spyder have you noticed that the ambient temp gauge works a bit different than most? I was stuck in traffic today and noticed that the gauge went from 67 degrees to 125 degrees. Once I started riding again it settled at 60 degrees. Seems like the sensor is close to the engine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
For those of you that have your Spyder have you noticed that the ambient temp gauge works a bit different than most? I was stuck in traffic today and noticed that the gauge went from 67 degrees to 125 degrees. Once I started riding again it settled at 60 degrees. Seems like the sensor is close to the engine.
Noticed today the ambient temp is way off, can someone locate the sensor on the BRP parts manual?

I tried for an hour but can't find the darn thing.

Once located I want to see if I can position it somewhere else.

Someone knows if the temp reading can be altered by computer at dealer?

·
Registered
801 Posts
From the chat last night, the ambient temperature reading is more accurate when you are in motion. Too much trapped heat from the engine when it's standing still.

I have the same problem with my Infiniti car...Ambient temperature reading is way off (too high) until you get it moving and air circulation started. Then it settles in on the 'actual' ambient temp.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Once located I want to see if I can position it somewhere else.
Not a good idea. It's located right in front of the intakes on the right side. It's used to messure the temp going into the intakes to make fuel adjustments. If you move it you will know how hot or cold it really is outside but your Spyder will run like dodo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
good point, Lamonster. Do you really think it is connected to the computer to adjust the mixture.

Also want to thank you for the photos you posted of the pipe you took apart. I would have done the same thing. My curiosity operates the same way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
good point, Lamonster. Do you really think it is connected to the computer to adjust the mixture.

Also want to thank you for the photos you posted of the pipe you took apart. I would have done the same thing. My curiosity operates the same way.
The Ambient Air Pressure Temperature Sensor or AAPTS is located on the right duct panel and is reading the air flow to the intake. As far as I can tell that is the same reading we are getting on our temp gage and that can be as far off as 16 degrees and most of the time when the Spyder is running it's at least 10 degrees off. Bottomline is the air under the panel is hotter than the open air so that's why it's so far off. I added a little stick-on gage to see what the real temps are. This is a cheap one so I'll be adding a better one soon.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Ambient Air Pressure Temperature Sensor or AAPTS is located on the right duct panel and is reading the air flow to the intake. As far as I can tell that is the same reading we are getting on our temp gage and that can be as far off as 16 degrees and most of the time when the Spyder is running it's at least 10 degrees off. Bottomline is the air under the panel is hotter than the open air so that's why it's so far off. I added a little stick-on gage to see what the real temps are. This is a cheap one so I'll be adding a better one soon.
Thanks, apreciate your input

I just hate it when I know it's 15 degrees celcius and the console is telling me 19, thats a real big difference.
They shouldn't make it this way, better no indication on the dash if it's wrong.Makes no sense

Could the indication be altered or adjusted?

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Thanks, apreciate your input

I just hate it when I know it's 15 degrees celcius and the console is telling me 19, thats a real big difference.

Could the indication be altered or adjusted?
yes, subtract 4

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
Perhaps my Spyder is different, or it is the CA environment, but my temp readout is usually within 3 - 5 degrees of being correct. Only time it is really out of range is while stopped at a light.

If the temp reading is of a big concern, one other solution is to push the "S" button, then the read out changes to RPM, no more temp reading.

·
Inadvance Member
1,744 Posts
Perhaps my Spyder is different, or it is the CA environment, but my temp readout is usually within 3 - 5 degrees of being correct. Only time it is really out of range is while stopped at a light.

If the temp reading is of a big concern, one other solution is to push the "S" button, then the read out changes to RPM, no more temp reading.
Come on Dennis, everbody know you guys are in California are jsut cooler.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I like the idea of the temp gauge would be nice if it could be close to real temps. That way I know when to stop & get liquid refreshment--Cold-or-Hot.

·
SpyderRyders
3,463 Posts
A bit slow .......... but this is the AAPTS on the right side fog light bezel.

I'm still a bit confused as to why any engine heat would effect the temp reading since the sensor is located
a considerable distance forward of the engine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A bit slow .......... but this is the AAPTS on the right side fog light bezel.

I'm still a bit confused as to why any engine heat would effect the temp reading since the sensor is located
a considerable distance forward of the engine.

Well now I'm a bit confused. My sensor is not where it should be and I can't find it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts