Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 RSS and I had the rear tire lifted as I was trying to adjust the belt alignment. When you do this, the bike will be idol in first gear. All went well until I gave it some throttle.... when I did that - I guess it simulated the tire "slipping" because it didn't have any friction on the ground....

Anyway - I created this ABS FAult / VSS Fault engine light warning... and now my bike is in Limp Home mode and cannot seem to get out of it. I thought if I left it for a few hours, that it would re-set, but that didn't happen.

I don't really want to go to a dealership and spend $300 for my dumb mistake - so, if any of you know how to CLEAR a engine light warning and reset the system to get me out of Limp Home mode - that would be wonderful.

Please let me know if this can be done.

Darren

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I took the Spyder to a local canam dealership. They adjusted the belt a little, but could not get rid of the codes - even with their little machine.

The error seems to be the rear speed sensor. The fronts work, but not the rear.

We tested the sensor, and it seems to be all intact.

So, now they're saying it might be the computer! Which is $1400 retail, plus 6 hours of install.

WTF! All we did was lift the rear tire to adjust the belt, and all of a sudden its a $2000+ fix because the computer may have faulted!!

Could someone please give me some advice? Has this happened to anyone? I'm stiuck in limp mode and the codes can't be deleted. Bike is currently at home, hoping that there is a magic solution. I disconnected the battery to hopefully "reset" the computer, but that didn't ehlp either.

Any advice please is greatley appreactiated. I can't belive that something as simple as lifting the back tire would do all this damage. I'm in denial

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to find a different dealer for a second opinion.

How long did you leave the battery disconnected ??

Overnight might be good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't got much response from anyone - but I thought I should put a concluding remark on here, just in case someone else has the same problem:

When I loosened the rear tire - I must have accidently hit the sensor (trigger) on the rear speed cable. It is a small sensor that picks up the speed from the rear tire. The cable itself was registerreing as "good" and was tested as intact. But, the trigger at the end of the cable was damaged from a wrench (which we couldn't see).

So, the bike would remain in limp-mode because it couldn't properly read the speed from the back tire (altough the cable itself was still good).

By replacing the speed cable (which runs from the rear tire break to the front computer), that fixed my problem. Bike now works. Its a good thing they never tried ripping out my on-board computer. That part alone is $1500 plus 6 hours labour.

In the end . A $300 bill. But lesson learned. Bill paid. Bike on the road again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts