Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As you will have Spyders delivered in north America before us in europe, you will be able to check something about the engine.

Spyder use the Rotax 990 engine, and if you have a look to the site below......it is written that this is a 102 kW/139 HP !
http://www.rotax.com/en/Engine/2004/Motorc...gine.Models.htm

So where is the difference ? Is it an electronic or mechanical limitation.....this is a good question !

Any opinion, guys ?

L'araignée (the spider).

·
Registered
708 Posts
102 kW/139 HP !

That's the specifications from the Aprilla Motorcycle. I know I got the spelling wrong but it's the motorcycle version, not the Spyder version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes it is RSV1000 Aprilia engine....but it is not the same motor for spyder ? what is the difference ?
I can't offer all the specific differences in the two versions but it is in fact the same (Basic) engine. My quess would be different cams, valve size, timing, compression ratio and exhaust lay out for starters. The throttle bodies could also be of a different bore. I don't know enough about this engine to offer you a detailed answer. Do some research, I sure the information is out there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't offer all the specific differences in the two versions but it is in fact the same (Basic) engine. My quess would be different cams, valve size, timing, compression ratio and exhaust lay out for starters. The throttle bodies could also be of a different bore. I don't know enough about this engine to offer you a detailed answer. Do some research, I sure the information is out there.
The ratings are at the rear wheel on the spyder, are they on the mille, or are they at the crankshaft? That could be the difference

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that some parts are differents between the 2 engines. So in a first time it should be nice to find out the exploded view of RSV1000 motor and in a second time the same for Spyder......and compare...
But this job will not be so easy.....(finding documents...)
;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think that some parts are differents between the 2 engines. So in a first time it should be nice to find out the exploded view of RSV1000 motor and in a second time the same for Spyder......and compare...
But this job will not be so easy.....(finding documents...)
;)
Look at it this way. You have lots of time to look before they arrive in Europe.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The Spyder uses the same 998cc Rotax engine as does the Aprilia motorcycle. In the Spyder the hp is rated as 106 and the engine is called a 990. The US Aprilia models have engines called 1000 with hp ratings of 143, 133 and 93. The UK bikes have hp ratings of 140, 139, 134, 116, 113 and 98. There are lots of different configurations with all of them using the same 998cc V-twin block. When BRP comes out with a high performance Spyder model it's easy to see what the hp will be....at least 140, a lot more if they go the supercharger route.

Richard

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Spyder uses the same 998cc Rotax engine as does the Aprilia motorcycle. In the Spyder the hp is rated as 106 and the engine is called a 990. The US Aprilia models have engines called 1000 with hp ratings of 143, 133 and 93. The UK bikes have hp ratings of 140, 139, 134, 116, 113 and 98. There are lots of different configurations with all of them using the same 998cc V-twin block. When BRP comes out with a high performance Spyder model it's easy to see what the hp will be....at least 140, a lot more if they go the supercharger route.

Richard
If your trying to make my mouth water....It's working. Hopefully any performance mods will be relatively easy to perform / install. A new A/F mapping would be easy enough...at the dealers of course.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The Spyder seems to have lost some hp from the pre production models to the ones soon to be delivered to your dealer. The original engine had 106 hp at 8500 rpm and 77 ft lbs torque at 6250 rpm. The torque in the production model has stayed the same but the hp is now 96...a loss of 16 hp and probably some performance too !

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Spyder seems to have lost some hp from the pre production models to the ones soon to be delivered to your dealer. The original engine had 106 hp at 8500 rpm and 77 ft lbs torque at 6250 rpm. The torque in the production model has stayed the same but the hp is now 96...a loss of 16 hp and probably some performance too !
Richard
article from motor trend
http://www.motortrend.com/features/consume...spyder_roadster

The 697-pound Roadster is powered by a saucy, 998cc liquid-cooled V-twin built in Austria by BRP-Rotax. Similar to that in the Aprilia RSV Mille sports bike, the Spyder engine is detuned to produce 106 horsepower at 8500 rpm and 77 pound-feet at 6000.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts