Can Am Spyder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just got back from talking to a couple of the local dealers here, trying to pry some information out of them, and though they are a tight lipped bunch, I did get out of one of them that it looks like Can Am will be raising the Spyder's handle bars about 2 inches. Nothing official, but it's close. I know one of biggest complaints I have heard is that the bars were too low. -Shane

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey all,

I just got back from talking to a couple of the local dealers here, trying to pry some information out of them, and though they are a tight lipped bunch, I did get out of one of them that it looks like Can Am will be raising the Spyder's handle bars about 2 inches. Nothing official, but it's close. I know one of biggest complaints I have heard is that the bars were too low. -Shane
I do hope you are right it is unconfortable after a short ride.
Also it could use a second set of foot rests for long drives.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I understand that there is a good possibility that the foot brake pedal will be mounted lower on production machines. One of the top gripes generated from the demo rides on pre-production units concerned the tendency to "ride the brake" while unknowingly resting your foot on it.

Richard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand that there is a good possibility that the foot brake pedal will be mounted lower on production machines. One of the top gripes generated from the demo rides on pre-production units concerned the tendency to "ride the brake" while unknowingly resting your foot on it.

Richard
I think that is a better approach to the problem. It didn't seem to me when I rode the Spyder that the handle bars were too low, but that the brake lever was too high. In retrospect, it is the same problem. The high brake and gear selector levers, combined with a low handle bar position, creates and uncomfortable bend in the back, thighs, and legs.

However they fix it, anything should be better.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i just got an email the other day from my dealer, and they told me they were notified unofficially that there will be a "fixed-style" riser block available to raise the handlebars 25mm. cost: rumored only $40 USF.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just got an email the other day from my dealer, and they told me they were notified unofficially that there will be a "fixed-style" riser block available to raise the handlebars 25mm. cost: rumored only $40 USF.
I've been told the same in the last week, that handle bar risers will be available as an paid option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am surpised that BRP is charging an additionally for the handlebar adjustment. From what I understand, this is a pretty common complaint related to the "prototype" demos. I would have thought having the bars set ofr the 95th percentile would be standard practice.

I hope they don't take the same approach to any adjustments that they are considering on the brake pedal!

For those of us who have placed deposits on the unit with the understanding that reasonable adjustments and refinements would be made prior to production, we should not have to spend additional monies to get a proper machine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im happy to get one next spring. I dont care if it isnt perfect right off the bat. I have ridden about 150 KM (80 Miles aprox.) and had to much fun to notice any problems that would keep me from liking it overall. I bet there are a few of us who just want to be the first to have something different. Not only is it cool but it hauls A$Z! I look forward to another ride in a week.

On topic. I have also heard that there will be a riser block on the Spyder accessory list this fall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone;
this is my first day here and I can't wait to get my hands on one. A dealer here wants me to put down $1000, which I see is normal. However I have to wait 'til Spring. Dies anyone know of a dealer that has availability for the first shipment? (wishful thinking)

·
Registered
214 Posts
as far as i know, the shipment that is scheduled to arrive at dealerships this fall is all sold out. About the only way you'll get one is to "buy" someone else out. My dealer told me they have 2 people called them and said they'd pay $$$$$$ to anyone who is scheduled to get theirs this fall, and is willing to be "bought" and wait till spring...
If I wasnt so excited, i'd let some big-wallet fella pay me a coupla grand to buy mine this fall and i'lll take a spring unit... BUT IM TOO EXCITED!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dealers in my area have been approached by dealers from other states (where the Spyder will not be sold) looking to purchase units. Watch the prices e-bay will be asking for early Spyders. I'm sure I will regret not having put deposits on more than one vehicle when they were still available. It won't be long before the entire years production is sold out and you won't be able to see one until sometime in 2009 !

Richard

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi there, I spoke with BRP regarding the break when I test drove it up in laconia NH. They did tell me that they are going to move it down for the production models. They tell me that all the feed back that they are recieving during these MFG tours, is to gather data, make changes for Aug ramp up. They told me that the bike will go into a limp mode if you ride the brake for 30 seconds and that just resting your foot on the peg will put the break in reach and possibly put the bike into limp mode. The handle bars seemed ok to me although I am 5'7" tall. Other big suggestion they are reveiwing for a aug ramp up is a seat change. There were some other smaller details they were going to do also, but I forgot what they were. Foot pegs were another big suggestion to BRP. No one up there in the 400 or so people that were testing it and milling around afterwards mentioned that I heard or over heard, the handlebars. Maybe we are all just short up here in the NE lol lol lol

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I saw a photo somewhere (can't remember where now) of a model with adjustable/tilt steering... which would be a great idea.

Running boards, and a lower brake would be great. Front controls would be great too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.